Overclockaholics Forums

Overclockaholics Forums (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intel (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Socket 2011 3930K Troubles...... (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5532)

PhIlLy ChEeSe 06-25-2013 11:45 AM

Socket 2011 3930K Troubles......

OK guys need some suggestions here, I have the asus RIVE 2011 and Intel 3930K CPU with two 60GB Intel Cherryville SSD'S in a raid 0, with two 7970's and a corsair AX1200PSU and finally 16 GB of 1866 RipjawX memory.

Kinda a long story as I'm not sure what my problem is here, started off I had over clocked the memory with a preset in the bios of the RIVE board. After a while I noticed I was having issue's (BSOD) and upon reboot I realized the memory was under volted while runnig at over 2400 MHz. From this point on the memory was an issue so I would just run it at default with normal voltage, and it seemed OK.
So one day I decided the memory is covered so i'll warranty it witch Gskill did no issues, while my memory was gone I had a pair of cheap ass ram i got with a PSU purchase from egg heads. Its an 8 GB kit of Vulcan 1600 memory, so only two sticks in the RIVE. I read the manual on witch slots to use, install and rebooted to adjust the settings everything was fine. Then I thought this is free memory so I cranked it up to around 1866 and upped the voltage and boom I lost the boot sector on my raid. So I killed the power and removed the cheap memory thinking ill be ok when the new Gksills get here. Upon return i installed and still no boot sector, so ok i got to lose what was on them. I deleted the raid then rebuilt it, and now it wont see my damm CD drive so I can install the drivers for a raid?
Did I kill the memory controller on the CPU, or the board, the memory is brand new so I assume it is ok. I was thinking of re seating my CPU then in bios set the defaults n see what happens..............

Suggestions :ohcrap:

cleared CMOS no changes tried switching the Intel SSD'S to the other controller, cant see the damn CD player? ugh!!!!!! HELP!!!:blush:

ThreeDhero 06-25-2013 12:13 PM

I had an issue like this with an MSI board after to use powered down incorrectly. My issue was more with the pci-e bus. I had to reseat the CPU and let it sit for awhile without power plugged in. After putting everything back it powered fine with no issues.
But its odd that you you are having issues with your raid. Might just try breaking everything down and start with the basics.

PhIlLy ChEeSe 06-25-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeDhero (Post 97613)
I had an issue like this with an MSI board after to use powered down incorrectly. My issue was more with the pci-e bus. I had to reseat the CPU and let it sit for awhile without power plugged in. After putting everything back it powered fine with no issues.
But its odd that you you are having issues with your raid. Might just try breaking everything down and start with the basics.

I know lol I just have to re seat it and see from there, thanks man!

MaadDaawg 06-26-2013 04:58 AM

Personally, I think it's a RIVE issue. Had the same problem on mine :thumbdown:

PhIlLy ChEeSe 06-26-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaadDaawg (Post 97615)
Personally, I think it's a RIVE issue. Had the same problem on mine :thumbdown:

What did you end up doing? Dumping it? I pulled the CPU and all connections, it is very dusty so i may wash it off.............or burn it. I may RMA the board then dump the cpu and use the mem fawk it all!

MaadDaawg 06-26-2013 03:52 PM

I have a 3960 processor and it still ran 3D benchs at 5.4 - 5.5ghz on SS. I tried to sell both but it didn't sell even at far less than I paid, so I'm thinking about putting into a gaming rig - have no idea yet how fast it will go on water :P

PhIlLy ChEeSe 06-27-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaadDaawg (Post 97617)
I have a 3960 processor and it still ran 3D benchs at 5.4 - 5.5ghz on SS. I tried to sell both but it didn't sell even at far less than I paid, so I'm thinking about putting into a gaming rig - have no idea yet how fast it will go on water :P

Mine did 5.2 under water, have no other stuff to try it with. Well this board is RMA, Ive had it.

Witchdoctor 06-27-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaadDaawg (Post 97617)

my 3930 does 4.8 24/7 and benches everything at 4.9
Got it off Duke, think he said it only did 5 or 5.1 cold so never benched it cold personally, bought specifically for a 24/7 platform.
Have to say I will never go back to 4 cores and look forward to the 8 core Hassy suposidly to be released third quarter next year and will be a Tick/shink from my understanding
So far the best gaming platform I have had to date, and with Crysis 3 actually utilizing the cores availible I have to think gaming is heading towards utilizing more cores

Sorry to hear about your board Philly :ohcrap:

That blows man

GFDuke 06-27-2013 01:45 PM

Yea Witchie 5.1 on SS. I never went LN2 with it. I don't think it would matter.

Witchdoctor 06-27-2013 02:16 PM

Still running strong bro ......... :thumbsup:

Did you call tek Philly ?