Overclockaholics Forums

Overclockaholics Forums (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/index.php)
-   HDD's & Other Storage (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Failed Toshiba SSD need to recover baby photos (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5553)

PhIlLy ChEeSe 08-22-2013 09:46 AM

well I hooked it up to my home computer for shits n giggles, then scanned the other hard drives for changes. It see's the hard drive but fails to install drivers? Suggestions..............

BenchZowner 08-22-2013 10:15 AM

How is the drive recognized in the BIOS ?
With the right name or with weird or random characters ?

MaadDaawg 08-22-2013 10:19 AM

when you click on it does it say you are not authorized to access the drive?

PhIlLy ChEeSe 08-22-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchZowner (Post 97857)
How is the drive recognized in the BIOS ?
With the right name or with weird or random characters ?

Well, the computer never gets a chance to see it. I hooked it up in the other room so I could listen to it, it tries to spin up a couple times then fades out so I assume like the video the bearing is gone.
I may open it up and try to re seat the pickup in the off ramp.

@Maadawg,
It never see's it, in the video I linked to on the other page It shows dude working on the same HDD. Reason I thought it was a SSD was cause it's2.5 inch, so I just assumed(didn't know the made regular Hdd'S in the 2.5 size)..........In that video he heats up the bearing long enough to pull the data off the drives.

BenchZowner 08-22-2013 01:03 PM

Could you take a video of it so we can hear the noises the drive makes ?
It could be a PCB malfunction as well ( and if it's that, you're pretty lucky, since finding the same PCB from another HDD and swapping it in will allow you to get all the data )

PhIlLy ChEeSe 08-22-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchZowner (Post 97861)
Could you take a video of it so we can hear the noises the drive makes ?
It could be a PCB malfunction as well ( and if it's that, you're pretty lucky, since finding the same PCB from another HDD and swapping it in will allow you to get all the data )

I could make a video but you wont be able to hear the noise, its so faint. I assume though if it were a bad PCB I would have no spin up, hence why I think the pick up is stuck on the disc not in the off ramp. I checked it again, keeps making the same noise over n over but it seems to fade out as well(like its stuck).

Sounds like its trying to spin up then re starts..........

BenchZowner 08-22-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhIlLy ChEeSe (Post 97862)
I could make a video but you wont be able to hear the noise, its so faint. I assume though if it were a bad PCB I would have no spin up, hence why I think the pick up is stuck on the disc not in the off ramp. I checked it again, keeps making the same noise over n over but it seems to fade out as well(like its stuck).

Sounds like its trying to spin up then re starts..........

Bad assumption.
Bad PCB doesn't mean that you won't get spin-up.
Bad PCB can cause all kinds of stuff... ticking/clicking... spin up... spin down... spin up again loops, spin up and stall, incorrectly recognized HDD name, lost partition, etc etc.

What you're describing sounds more like PCB issue ( and that's a good thing ).

If I were you, I'd look for another HDD ( same model ) and swap PCBs ;)

PhIlLy ChEeSe 08-23-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchZowner (Post 97863)
Bad assumption.
Bad PCB doesn't mean that you won't get spin-up.
Bad PCB can cause all kinds of stuff... ticking/clicking... spin up... spin down... spin up again loops, spin up and stall, incorrectly recognized HDD name, lost partition, etc etc.

What you're describing sounds more like PCB issue ( and that's a good thing ).

If I were you, I'd look for another HDD ( same model ) and swap PCBs ;)

I understand, if I do get the PCB it is out of my own pocket(can get one cheap). Plus if its not the PCB I can still open it up after the fact.:thumbsup: I think I can get one under ten bucks on flee bay.

PhIlLy ChEeSe 08-23-2013 07:07 AM

I got it,
I'll post some picture's latter, the pick up was stuck on the platter. I used a pick and spun the platter counter clock wise as I pulled the pick up towards the edge(into parking spot). Powered right up, I'm now backing up all photo on a extra hard drive.

Thanks all for the help suggestions!!!!:Hi:

Again I'll post some photo's of the hard drive and insides soon

PhIlLy ChEeSe 08-23-2013 07:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some photo's of the drive, I just finished pulling everything off it and it died again! :blink:

as you can see the drive was full, and the pick up stuck on the platter. I tore it up to get inside it....................:laughing: