Overclockaholics Forums

Overclockaholics Forums (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/index.php)
-   General CPU (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   De-lidders? (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4958)

ShrimpBrime 12-04-2011 04:45 PM

De-lidders?

Any one taking tops off of their cpu's lately??

Any i7 users doing this?

kikicoco1334 12-04-2011 08:08 PM

i7 is kinda hard cuz there is a layer of solder between the IHS and the die it self, you have to heat that sucker up to the milting temp of the solder they used, i have never tried it on the newer i7s and also if i remember correctly i think when you take that off you'll run into prob like when you are docking the pot on it you may crack the die, or the die is too low and the bracket is too tall and you have to take the bracket off which it's not a huge deal cuz all 1155, 1156, 1366 and 2011 so far have removable brackets, but just not the best idea if you do something to the chip while it's running it may jack up your board... then it's 2 weeks of no bench time yeah i been there IT SUCKED!

but when i did my old chip i kinda just took a really sharp knife i got from my mom's lab (the knife they cut body tissues with) and kinda just cut the seal around the cpu and just leave the knife in there (each side) and leave it in the oven having the IHS facing down on like a pan of some kind and once it's at the milting temp it'll just pop off

some people use those crack razer blades those are super cheap and easy to get

MaadDaawg 12-05-2011 04:29 AM

ummm... did you mother know you were using here knifes like that young man? :rofl:

kikicoco1334 12-05-2011 06:18 AM

Yeah lol she got me a pack of those and it lasted me a few years now lmao

OC Maximus 12-05-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaadDaawg (Post 86881)
ummm... did you mother know you were using here knifes like that young man? :rofl:

:laughing:

ShrimpBrime 12-05-2011 04:29 PM

KikiCoco, I'd like to turn you onto a link here.. http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=332705

Pretty familiar with de-lidding Cpu's, just wondering if any one here has every got'er done!

Some day, I hope to de-lid an i7, and be a little more successful with AMD FX and 6 cores. I've un-topped 5 cpu's so far, the FX-4100 my ONLY fail so far. Go figure I killed the New cpu....

I have however taken the top off of a already dead Q6600. That was just about the same as most of the cpu's I've done.

kikicoco1334 12-05-2011 06:21 PM

That's a pretty cool guide dude! I think all my 939 and 754 chips' IHS has been removed expt one

NOOOO!!!!!! seeing a dead Q6600 is like seeing a seeing a gorgeous redhead died it makes me sad :s

I don't have the money to do it atm, but I monna try be getting a FX-81xx chip sometime and clock it to 8GHz cuz i am not so young anymore, and I may die anytime need to get things done right soon

ShrimpBrime 12-05-2011 06:31 PM

I purchased the chip for like 100$. It somehow went through the wash and dryer. It had some chips missing off the bottom so I just de-lidded it and it sits at work on the bench for a reminder to empty my pockets.

I did try to get into some Intel OC'in. Every time I try, discouragement takes over for some reason.

kikicoco1334 12-05-2011 06:41 PM

LMAO! Wow some of you guys ARE worst then me! I have found lots of cash in my washer and dryer, pen, screwdriver and screws but never washed a cpu before lol

I think most of us here is Intel based (I know I am) so feel free come by drop some questions :)

Once again, I am no expert, so I can't really say for sure, but when I overclock I do it by feeling, it's one of those things where you and the chip you are clocking are attached and you feel when will it be needing more voltage and why is it crashing and all that good stuff lol

ShrimpBrime 12-06-2011 03:57 PM

Well, I have one question.

Can I de-lid some one's i7 HAHAHA!!! Just kidding, unless some one wants to get serious about it.