Overclockaholics Forums

Overclockaholics Forums (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Single Stage & Cascade Cooling (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What if ... a new use for an SS (http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5075)

MaadDaawg 02-10-2012 03:43 PM

What if ... a new use for an SS

Started thinking today, which is always dangerous, and hit upon an idea that may or may not work. Depending water flow I think.

What if instead of a radiator, you hooked a CPU water block up to the head of an SS and used that to cool the GPU loop? In this case, the thought occurred to me regarding chilling the water for my quad sli 580s. The Feser quad does a good job, and I have a DYI chiller unit, but since I have a spare SS and CPU water block, my mind wandered into this idea.

Would it work so long as the water flow was maintained? I think so, but I'm thinking I might be SOL if the rig needs to reboot too often while tuning the OC.

huh??

Kal-EL 02-10-2012 06:55 PM

I'm guessing the coolant would freeze in the block before leaving and stop the flow.

Witchdoctor 02-10-2012 07:32 PM

you would have to introduce a glycol solution / AKA antifreeze

take the rads out of the loop

I woould also keep the flow as slow as possiple to maximixe heat transfere at the block, but yes it would work under those circumstances ........ :thumbsup:

you will probably create condinsation so insulating the cards would not be a bad idea

but it depends on what type of heat transfer you get across the block and flow will determin

I would have to think with a 20 run time you could drop the loop temp considerably

it may have to catch up between benches as 4 of those will put off some heeat

GFDuke 02-11-2012 12:07 AM

I don't think there would be enough surface area on a water block to keep the loop cold. i guess that would depend on the lenght of the loop. You could always try it and let us know.

MaadDaawg 02-11-2012 03:49 AM

I think WD is right, and disassembling and erasering the cards isn't something I think I want to spend time on right now. The heat of the 4 gpus should keep a glycol solution mostly liquid but I had been thinking water like Supes. Surface area is another good concern.

oh well, back to the drawing board :D

Witchdoctor 02-11-2012 04:12 AM

Kmart

32 quart cooler

Add 4/120 radiator ....... insert 30 lbs. of ice on top of it

turn on system and comence benching FTW ............. :thumbsup:

MaadDaawg 02-11-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchdoctor (Post 89536)
Kmart

32 quart cooler

Add 4/120 radiator ....... insert 30 lbs. of ice on top of it

turn on system and comence benching FTW ............. :thumbsup:

I have one of those big beer chest coolers with a collapsable handle in which I've wound 50ft of 1/2 copper tubing connected to a 300gph fish tank pump, with a little resv to fill and monitor it. It's hooked to about 10ft of hose on each side. Fits 60lbs of wet ice. I've used it before to great effect, I think my VRs were down in the 7C range and the GPUs were about 14C. May break that out again but again condensation is a worry :D

Mr.Scott 02-11-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

you would have to introduce a glycol solution / AKA antifreeze
Gets too thick that cold. Windshield juice.;)

Witchdoctor 02-11-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Scott (Post 89544)
Gets too thick that cold. Windshield juice.;)

Great idea, didn'6t even think of that ............. :thumbsup:

MaadDaawg 02-11-2012 08:16 AM

With the wet ice chiller water works cause you never get below freezing :thumbsup: