Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Reviews » z68 SSD Caching

Notices

Reviews Hardware/Software Reviews

Old 10-05-2011
Lets Shake Things Up!!!

OC Maximus is on a distinguished road
Default z68 SSD Caching

This is a quick two benchmark snapshot on how well SSD caching works on the z68 platform.

What is SSD Caching?

SSD caching marries a conventional hard drive to a relatively small Solid Stage Drive, with the most frequently accessed data automatically placed on the SSD for fast access while the two drives appear to users simply as a single drive. The functionality serves to bring users much of the speed benefit of SSDs but with the storage capacity and lower cost of traditional hard drives.

Test Platform:

Asus Maximus Gene-Z
Intel 2600k (Overclocked to 4.2 GHz)
4 Gb Gskill Ripjaws-X (F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD XMP)
40 Gb OCZ Vertex 2 (OCZSSD2-2VTC40G)
300 Gb WD VelociRaptor (WD3000GLFS)
Windows 7 Home Premium

Initial Test:

First, we'll tested each drive individually using ATTO Disk Benchmark as our baseline. Screen shot to the left is the 300 Gb VelociRaptor and the one to the right is the 40 Gb Vertex 2.

Next, using Intel Rapid Storage Technology we'll set SSD to perform caching duties for the main drive. The two available settings are "Enhanced" and "Maximized". You can read more on Enhanced and Maximized modes >here.< Screen shot to the left is Enhanced mode and the one to the right is Maximized mode.

As you can see, in Enhanced mode Writing speed does not improve but Read does. In Maximized mode both Writing and Reading improve significantly. Lets look at percentage of performance gain by pairing these drives together based on the ATTO Disk Benchmark data.

By simply pairing a small SSD to a lager HDD you can get almost 60% quicker Read/Write speeds in Maximized mode. Quite an improvement for the old mechanical drive I must say. Alright, lets take a look at boot up times.

Boot Racer:

First, we'll use the HDD as the boot drive and reboot a few times.

Boot speeds are all over the place with an average of 32 seconds. *Note* OS has not been maximized for quick booting.
Next we'll pair up the SSD in Enhanced mode and reboot a few more times.

And now in Maximize mode.

Here you can clearly see boot times have reduced by 50%. Quite a nice improvement for sure.

Conclusion:
Simply put, SSD Caching is a nice option if your on a budget. You may not get the same overall performance as a large dedicated SSD, but now you have the option to turn that old hard drive into a much better performing unit.

OCM

Old 10-05-2011
OCA Gladiator

kikicoco1334 is on a distinguished road

dude thats a killer guide!
nice work mang
Old 10-05-2011
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

Nice work OCM,

Putting together a Z68 system myself and will be using SSD caching
Old 10-06-2011
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Excellent OCM

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 10-06-2011
OCA Gladiator

DOM is on a distinguished road

Nice even though I don't have a ssd or z68

Old 10-06-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Have you tried testing with a full windows install? IE APP and games that surpasses the SSD size?

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 10-06-2011
Lets Shake Things Up!!!

OC Maximus is on a distinguished road

Thanks Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Have you tried testing with a full windows install? IE APP and games that surpasses the SSD size?
The Raptor has 103 Gb of used space. Windows 7 Home Premium full install, games, music, pictures, ect.... Then I paired the 40 Gb SSD for Caching. Tried to make test as real world as possible although I'm still using synthetic benchmarks.

Last edited by OC Maximus; 10-06-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
Thanks Men

The Raptor has 103 Gb of used space. Windows 7 Home Premium full install, games, music, pictures, ect.... Then I paired the 40 Gb SSD for Caching. Tried to make test as real world as possible although I'm still using synthetic benchmarks.
Cool

I have not played with the SSD caching yet I forgot you could add it after you installed windows making it just a cache drive. Just found some SATA2 drives laying around so next Z68 board (maximus gene) I will test it out.

How about RW results? Do the games actually load any faster? Or maybe after you run them a couple of times and they get cached to SSD?

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 10-07-2011
Shameful Lurker

Altered is just getting started

Awesome! I was wondering how well that worked.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge D2 / Biostar TP67B+ / Thermaltake Frio / G.SKILL Ripjaws Sniper Series 8GB / AMD XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Old 10-07-2011
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

Nice guide! I don't really see the use for this unless someone is just hell bent on using a HDD.