Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Member's Rigs Introductions/Show Us What You Got...

Old 05-26-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here
Default Planning new rig

Currently running:
  • Athlon II x2 270
  • 212+ cooler
  • 2x2GB Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9
  • Silverstone modular 450W PSU
  • AIW HD video card (IGP disabled) (3650 with theater 600 built in)
  • 150GB Vrap HDD for OS
  • 5U server case with 120mm intake 2x80mm exhaust.
  • 5.25" sunbeam fan controller
  • 3.5" card reader with floppy drive (floppy not connected)

Sold the 580GTX . 3650 is still usable for the games I play anymore Free Cell, Spider Solitaire and Wizard101 lol

Storage is scattered on multiple drives right now a 2TB, a 1TB and dual 750GBs.

Using a 22" 1680x1050 monitor with a vertical dead row of pixels as main, and a 1280x1024 17" with speakers as secondary and sound

Wanting/Planning stage is
  • 5800K A10 AMD CPU
  • a85x motherboard
  • 1866 or 2133 MHZ RAM
  • SFF HTPC style case
  • 128GB+ SSD
  • CPU cooler
  • New Monitor

A10-5800K CPU is solely for the power of the IGP. The most demanding game I run now is Wizard101 with my kids it runs on GMA IGP so the 7660 should kick it nicely.

A85X motherboard. Most likely going with a uATX so I have 4 DIMMs and more than a single PCIE slot rather than ITX. These are generally less pricey than ATX or ITX also. ASUS preferred but not married to it. Looks like some decent stuff under $100

I must use fast RAM. 8GB minimum as it will be shared with IGP. 16GB would be nice but at that speed it gets a bit too pricey. Fast RAM is essential as it changes the performance of the IGP by 20% (30% with an OC on the IGP) The RAM I have in my current rig is decent and if go uATX with 4 dimms I might look for another set of it and run 8GB with 4 DIMMs. IT is Ballistix Elite and it might even do 2133 if I bump it to 9-10-9 @1.5v. Then I would just grab a cheap 8GB 1600 mhz set for my main.

SFF or HTPC Case. TBH I have not looked yet. I hate spending a ton of money of cases because I never do them justice nd my wire management skills are AWFUL. What I would like is anything but a tower. Server cases ARE an option, but not the super long ones. Currently running a 5U server case and would not mind running a half rack setup. (two PCs, receiver and one shelf for networking equipment).

128GB+ SSD I have 60 GB free on my 150GB vrap right now, and thats only because I have not deleted my download folder lately. No 10GB game installs means HDD space does not get eaten up. With more RAM I will reduce pagefile and I always disable hibernate, so that saves even more).

CPU cooler I have an Antec Kühler 920 I can use IF the case I have has a 120mm exhaust port. It really all depends on the Case I get what I use for the CPU. Might do SOME OCing, but not much.

New Monitor. Because of Budget I will probably just end up getting a pair of 1080P LED monitors. IQ is not that important, my main monitor has a row of dead pixels and it does not bother me much. Its like the microstutter on core2 duo CPUs or nVidias color deprived AA tool. IF it is all you know, the degradation does not bother you

There are 5800Ks on eBay for $100. No cooler though. So probably going that route. I have $13 something in eBay bucks too. So save a bit more. Going to have to get the motherboard at the same time, probably will go eBay for that route as well.

Case is what I am going to have the most trouble with I think. I want SFF but want a 120mm exhaust so I can use the Antec Kühler 920 (rad + dual 120mm fans ) Not married to it, if the case I get won't fit it, I will sell it and get a cooler that will. (Do they make 2x80mm rad AIOs?)

I do have a Xigmatek elysium full tower case and 750W corsair PSU sitting in the closet with the Kühler ATM but no longer have a box for shipping (stupid landlord threw it out thinking it was trash because it ripped). Would consider trading, I will create a thread for it though If not I may end up disassembling it to build my own case. (I do like the SATA HDD toaster it has built in )

Hmm, that is actually a good idea. Will have to contact Xigmatek to see if they have a new cable for the USB 3 ports that uses the 19pin header.

New modding project!

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 05-26-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2013
Classicplatforms Warrior

Mr.Scott will become famous soon enough

When you parts that, look me up. You have a couple items I'd be interested in.
Old 05-27-2013
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

Interesting build, I say mod away, that makes it fun

here is a board with a 20 doller rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131883
Old 05-27-2013
OCA Gladiator

kikicoco1334 is on a distinguished road

sounds kinda fun
Old 05-28-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post
Interesting build, I say mod away, that makes it fun

here is a board with a 20 doller rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131883

Yeah I never get those rebates off in time. That is the board I will end up going with most likely though.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."