Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Reviews » Phantom, Dual Wall Clear LN2 Evaporator - First Encounter

Notices

Reviews Hardware/Software Reviews

Old 08-03-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Buckeye will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Just googled it for yah. Looks like you are limited to 151.

BevMo at
6393 N. Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95207

Should carry it, best to call ahead though. If not you can order it from their site for 15.99 per 750mL

If they do not have that they may carry Bacardi 151 as well.

Think 91% Isopropyl would be ALOT cheaper though. Check Wal-Mart.

EDIT: Yup looks like they carry Bacardi 151 as well but it is 33 bucks a iter.
Yup I know right where that is, thanks Neo

I am going to hunt around the more hidden liqure stores and see what I can come up with, but yes it does look like Bacardi 151 is going to be the best I can get.

While I wait for the shorter tubes I setup the big boy with out the inner tube for some runs. HAHA The thing is a beast

Thanks Gigabyte for the Motherboard !
GPU from Gigabyte GOOC 09

Last edited by Buckeye; 08-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

A few frosty pictures

Last edited by Buckeye; 08-06-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Yup I know right where that is, thanks Neo

I am going to hunt around the more hidden liqure stores and see what I can come up with, but yes it does look like Bacardi 151 is going to be the best I can get.
Sorry was not more clear.

You can get 750mL of ever clear 151 (not normal 180/190 whatever it is) for 15.99. IT is on their site. Since it is close to you go talk to them. In a pinch that is your solution.

Still think it might be cheaper to find some isopropyl. And would be interesting if you could try adding salt to it I have searched and searched and all I can find is frozen comparisons of water, salt water and isopropyl. Not combinations.

I still think that salt properly mixed into a soltution would help lower freezing point, not just of water... but perhaps salt does not mix with alcohol.. (which would be weird IMHO)

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-12-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Special thanks to Gigabyte for the MA790FXT-UD5P
And also AMD for the CPU’s
And a special thanks again to Aaron Schradin for all his help and ideas !

The Phantom Dual Wall Clear LN2 Evaporator – 2nd Encounter

I had a chance to make some addition runs with the Phantom pot, I had a set of shorter tubes made ~6” in length to do these runs and they work much better than the longer 15” tubes. All though the 15” tubes do work fine they are really to long for anything other than a LN2 show. I ran the 15” tube without the inner tube also and it worked fine.

Running the longer tube the setup looked like this. I wrapped a piece of sheet foam around the tube and cut to fit, then a layer of blue shop towel. This setup worked very well but was a tad tall to be sitting and trying to pour LN2 in the tube so I had to stand up often. You could really load this tube up with LN2 tho and run for a long time without even looking at the tube.

Here is that setup

When the shorter tubes came I ran them first with just the outer tube, and this is that setup.

This proved to be a very good setup and held temps very well, drop in temps from .2c - .4c were the norm for me with the probe mounted on the pot. It was very stable, could run for a long time without reloading, plus frost buildup was well under control. In fact the board would start to frost up well before this pot did.

With these kinds of pots swing is not a real issue and as long as you have the pot at max temps you are good to go. Simply keep LN2 in the pot and temps are stable. It required just about no baby sitting and was very nice to use.

It had been said to me to just keep LN2 to about 1” deep or near the base copper for normal running for best temp control. I did not see any real difference in keeping levels at the 1” level or much deeper. This pot was that stable in temps.

When you are at max LN2 temps you can hear the difference in the sound the pot makes, it goes from a rapid boiling while pulling down to a somewhat calm slow boil that makes very little noise. The bubbles are much smaller and in this pot because of the design of the base you can see a flow of LN2 as the level drops to the top of the base. I have tried to show this in the video that I did. You will see the center of the base boiling faster than the edges. I believe that this is because of the massive surface area of the base, the way it was machined to channel a flow of LN2 to the center and the very large number of sharp edges which heat from the CPU radiates to these edges causing flow.

This is how the single outer wall looks before setup

Now let’s look at the Dual Wall prepping and setup

All the parts laid out and ready to be put together

Teflon tape is wrapped around the inner tubes threads and around the base threads. Wrap tape around many times to assure a nice tight fit and no leaks.

Set the inner tube and washer assembly on top on the base.

Now screw the outer tube in place. Tighten everything up good and snug to prevent leaks.
I then took this completed assembly and filled the outer ring with water to check for leaks. I only had 1 small one which was easily fixed by just tightening the inner tube just a bit more. I then let this sit for awhile just to make sure I had no leaks. All was good :clap:

Now insulated and installed on the motherboard.
Insulation was very easy for both methods. For the single tube setup a simple foam sheet cut to fit work great. It could be removed very easly by simply sliding it off to go for dual wall setup.

As you can see I just used two layers of foam with the circle are cut out for the pot to fit into. This could be cut to fit any motherboard easly.

With the single tube setup the layer of foam around the tube really didnt interfer with any parts on the motherboard, except for the first ram slots.

The foam I used was 1/2 inch think which insulated well and provided plenty of clearance for parts on the motherboard.

Here is a short video of the Phantom in operation.
This run was about 4 hours long and ran just fine throughout the whole session. The only problem was it began to start frosting over after about an hour to an hour and a half. It just let it go to see what was going to happen. As you can see it became very, very frosty by the time I finished up. The motherboard was getting very, very cold and was becoming very hard to keep stable OC’s towards the end.

Watch in the video for the LN2 in the base and how it looks from a boiling to down to no LN2. This was not easy to video as light was not that great and focus was hard to maintain but I think it came out ok.

Some additional photos of the session.

My conclusion is that with the 80 proof alcohol that I used here my run time with a clear viewing time was somewhat limited to maybe one to one and half hours. It started frosting up and the alcohol began to freeze close to an hour into the session. After awhile the alcohol froze up solid and frost became rather heavy. This did not appear to impact the function of the pot in anyway other than you could not see the insides. If a higher proof alcohol is used such as Everclear which I cannot get in California I understand that the freezing of the alcohol takes longer, I am not sure if that would keep the frost away or not tho. A blow dryer might have helped and could be useful in a demo or event type of setting to keep things clearer, but frost melting off of the pot might become an issue.

From what I could tell the difference between the two setups was not great in running, in fact they both seemed to work the same to me. So getting this setup with dual tubes has its advantages of being run with just the outer tube for normal use, then being able to use the dual wall setup for events and thing of that nature. It really works out very nice.

Use of this pot with AMD chips is very simple and this pot performs very well.

I do have a few mods in my mind for an event type setting such as lights and what not, I will update this thread when I get around to those

Enjoy !

Last edited by DrNip; 08-13-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

wow
Old 08-12-2009
OCA Gladiator

punx223 will become famous soon enough

damn bill, wow.... i wish we coulda got the supertubes workin like that lol....

that is just nuts dude.... so ho much LN2 does it eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
You mean you don't have one of the uber secret 6.6GHz Gulftown pots?
Old 08-12-2009
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

HAHA I'm lovin those frosty wing nuts!
Old 08-13-2009
OCA Gladiator

thebanik is on a distinguished road

Amazing, simply awesome, So any results from the run????
EVGA Classified (MSI Pro-E, MSI Eclipse, DFI DK45 T2RS Plus, Foxconn Mars), Core i7 980 (Core i5 680, Core i7 950 Intel E8600, Intel QX9650, Intel Core2 Duo E8400), Thermalright Venomous X(CoolerMaster AquaGate mini R80), GSkill Trident 1600Mhz CL6 (GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz) , MSI GTX 580 (EVGA GTX 295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, Stacker 830 Nvidia Ed., CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion, 1TB + 500 GB + 500GB HDDs
Old 08-13-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punx223 View Post
so ho much LN2 does it eat?
When running AMD chips at max temps you do use more than you would use for Core I7 chips, your temps are much colder. The dual wall version didn't use anymore than the single tube setup.

That said, you still use a fair amount of LN2 running AMD, I think I used about 35L for each run.

As far as results go... I was using pre released AMD chips and you should starting seeing results from these anyday, just waiting for the ok, I was on NDA.

My skills at OCing AMD CPU's is not all that great, in fact doing these tests were the first time I had been on a AMD system besides the TWKR runs. As usual I have a big learning curve with new setups LOL. So no records were broken by me :(

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=652074
Attached Thumbnails
AMD 965 CPUz.JPG  

Last edited by Buckeye; 08-13-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Nice run bill. Wow...

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."