Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » Motherboards » AMD » Socket 462 buying questions...

Notices

Old 08-24-2010
Classicplatforms Warrior

Mr.Scott will become famous soon enough

I don't think it's that hard. It's just time consuming. It's not like the new stuff where you stroke a couple keys in the bios and you're done. You have to work each chip you OC within there own personality's. They all like different things.
It's mostly in the combination of components you put together. This is where doing your homework pays off. I'll try to condense it a little to get you started.
First, the boards you'll want to look for are AN7, NF7(S), DFI Ultra B, Epox 8RDA. Any of those boards will provide the high FSB you're gonna need. Second, start looking for ram right now. 1 gig or less kits with timings of 2-2-2-x. BH-5 or TCCD chips are what you want to look for. Ram is critical for socket A's because you NEVER, EVER, want to run anything other than a 1:1 ratio. It just kills performance.
Third, a good high performance modded bios for whatever board you wind up with. Fortunately for you, you know somebody with a modded bios library a few hundred deep for most boards on most older platforms. Who, you ask?.......That would be me.
Fourth is a tip: Less multi and more FSB is always better. Tighter timings are always better.
Put something together and give it a shot. I'll help you. Rick tried socket A, ask him how it went. It's not as easy as everybody thinks. Definitely more satisfying than my newer platforms.
I'll answer any questions you might have......or at least try to. You guys are always welcome to come to CP for pointers. I'll take care of you.
Old 08-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

FACE is on a distinguished road

somebody buy this man a beer!

good looking out, Meester Scott.

Nooob#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Don't forget to delete System32!!!
Old 08-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

kikicoco1334 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
I don't think it's that hard. It's just time consuming. It's not like the new stuff where you stroke a couple keys in the bios and you're done. You have to work each chip you OC within there own personality's. They all like different things.
It's mostly in the combination of components you put together. This is where doing your homework pays off. I'll try to condense it a little to get you started.
First, the boards you'll want to look for are AN7, NF7(S), DFI Ultra B, Epox 8RDA. Any of those boards will provide the high FSB you're gonna need. Second, start looking for ram right now. 1 gig or less kits with timings of 2-2-2-x. BH-5 or TCCD chips are what you want to look for. Ram is critical for socket A's because you NEVER, EVER, want to run anything other than a 1:1 ratio. It just kills performance.
Third, a good high performance modded bios for whatever board you wind up with. Fortunately for you, you know somebody with a modded bios library a few hundred deep for most boards on most older platforms. Who, you ask?.......That would be me.
Fourth is a tip: Less multi and more FSB is always better. Tighter timings are always better.
Put something together and give it a shot. I'll help you. Rick tried socket A, ask him how it went. It's not as easy as everybody thinks. Definitely more satisfying than my newer platforms.
I'll answer any questions you might have......or at least try to. You guys are always welcome to come to CP for pointers. I'll take care of you.
!

that guide is like REALLY good!
i got a friend that's got (i think) the NF7-S maybe the AN7 but he said he was really sure that's got an "S" on it...

also how is that Asus board i got listed on there?
is that good?

i am working on the ram right now..
i am looking everywhere in the house for those 2 IC's and i am going to my RICH ASS friend's house sometime this weekend and go on like a scavenger hunt he dosn't know much about computers most of my friends don't know much about hardwares at all lol
Old 08-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACE View Post
somebody buy this man a beer!

good looking out, Meester Scott.
for sure dude!
Old 08-25-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

NF-7S and Barton mobile CPU FTW!!!!

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-25-2010
Classicplatforms Warrior

Quote:
also how is that Asus board i got listed on there?
is that good?
That Asus board is probably second only to the one's I listed earlier. One of my teamies runs one, and he does pretty well with it. My AN7 or NF7 will blow it out of the water though.
Old 08-25-2010
Beyond Help

Hondacity will become famous soon enough

omg abit....lol good luck finding these gems...
Old 08-25-2010
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

Stand up Scott...

Had some very nice Abit boards in the day .....
Old 08-25-2010
Classicplatforms Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
omg abit....lol good luck finding these gems...
They're around. You just have to look for them......and be willing to pay. AN7's and NF7's still go for around $50-$75. DFI Ultra B's are the tough one's to find. They'll go for more than that. They're also the king of the OC'ers for socket A. I personally still own 2 AN7's and 2 NF7's. I used to have more of them than that, but you know how that goes.......trade one for some stuff......blow one up in flames while on DICE....Etc.

Quote:
Stand up Scott...

Had some very nice Abit boards in the day .....
Hey Brian , how's it going man?

Seriously, If any of you guys get into some of the older stuff looking for hardware points, look me up. I got help for you, and probably hardware if you need it.
Old 08-25-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
That Asus board is probably second only to the one's I listed earlier. One of my teamies runs one, and he does pretty well with it. My AN7 or NF7 will blow it out of the water though.
i really think my friend is got a NF7-S tho..
how much should i gave me for it?

oh and also i have a P4M900-M4 do you have any kind of like MODED BIOS for it?

Last edited by kikicoco1334; 08-25-2010 at 03:08 PM.