Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Welcome to Overclockaholics » Suggestions » post stretching mod/setting

Notices

Suggestions Have An Idea...

Old 07-13-2009
Junior Addict

3oh6 will become famous soon enough
Default post stretching mod/setting

i am not sure if anyone saw this in the contest thread so i thought i would post it here. it deals with either a mod or a setting for vBulletin (i haven't installed vBulletin in a while so not sure). basically what it does is stretch only the single post that has a picture that forces the forum to stretch. at many forums, including here, the entire thread stretches when a picture is too big for the browser width and makes for a PITA to read replies as you have to scroll right-left through the whole thread. here is a thread as an example...

http://www.overclockaholics.com/foru...p?t=582&page=6

you can see Dino and I shorten our responses so they don't go too far to the right by adding our own line breaks. here is a screen shot of XS with the same thing, a single post stretching wider than the browser i work with, but notice that only the post that the image is in gets stretched...not the whole thread of posts...

it is kind of hard to explain but i am sure you guys with narrower browsers know what i am talking about. i also don't know if it is a vBulletin mod or just a setting, but either way, it would be great to implement here.
Old 07-13-2009
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

You explained it right. It is for those people that post their screenshots/pictures that are way above the normal. Like a 28" screenshot. Not everybody has a 28" monitor and it jacks the whole thread up when someone does it. With this enabled it only stretches the jackfruits post instead of the whole thread.

Last edited by DrNip; 07-13-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Yep, kinda why I asked for the screenshots to be uploaded to the forum instead of hosted elsewhere.

I'll go fishing for a tweak/setting that will resolve our smaller screen surfers. I know I hate having megapics blowing up my surf experience. I should have it resolved in a day or two, gonna take a relaxation break today. My wife put the shovel next to my office door (so I can dig my own grave). SO pretty much I got the hint
Old 07-13-2009
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

I had to modify a post today due to this as I only have a 17" monitor at work and there was a thread on here earlier that was jacked because of this.

I hear on the wifey thing. Every now and then you have to stop and play with them too!
Old 07-13-2009
Superenthusiast

Thx for the feedback Jody
Old 07-13-2009
Junior Addict

3oh6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
Thx for the feedback Jody
no problem but it wasn't to complain about big screen shots, it's to allow them. i personally hate when someone resizes a screen shot to be smaller, it is then impossible to see all the information. i like posting full size screen shots but i hate when my posts stretch the whole thread

with photos it is a different story all together, anything over 800px wide is a waste of bandwidth, but with screen shots, full size really is better than some pixelated shrunk screen...IMO of course. plus full size PNG screens are smaller in size than shrunk JPG's .

no rush, just put it on the list of things to do for maintenance, just makes the browsing experience a little better
Old 07-14-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

It is an excellent Idea.

I also hate resized screenshots that are unreadable hence why I do not use the attachment setting. (Lowest res I use is 1680x1050, and it was darn hard to drop to that)

I do have opera browser though so the forum never gets jacked up when I click "fit o width" automatically resizes those HW pr0n pics to the width of the browser window

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 07-14-2009
Don't Know

I do a custom thumb nail when needing to get the full effect across. Like this:

It takes a lil more time but looks cleaner in a thread to me.

Last edited by DrNip; 07-14-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2009
Superenthusiast

Been diggin round the forum controls all day and nuttin that'll help offsite img links get resized. Mods will have to be vigilent in pwning or giving a courteousy download, resize, upload for the offenders (one time courteousy)

I'm fishing around Vbulletin for the hack that resizes the images now.................