Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Software Section » XP » Installing XP with no cd drive?

Notices

XP Ol' Reliable...

Old 09-16-2010
OCA Gladiator

ny_driver is just getting started

Anyways...has anyone done a TinyXP install without an optical drive? I'm pulling my hair out here guys.

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Coming Soon: a CPU...hopefully a 7GHz 990x ES
Old 09-16-2010
OCA Gladiator

I'm not no Fucktard ok

I follow these directions http://www.ocia.net/articles/xpflashdrive/page1.shtml and when i get to the point where I have to navigate to the folder where I copied the windows files, it tells me there are no installation files found there. I checked that I copied the contents of the iso I wanted to that folder.

I am now very frustrated, but more determined than ever to win this battle.

Should I just install XP and then strip it down? It might be faster.

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Old 09-16-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Yeah a lot of the guides people follow assume to many things... If that guide does not work try another.

I have been using a USB DVDROM for the last few months.. works great Just plug it in when I need it
Old 09-16-2010
OCA Gladiator

I don't see how tinyxp installs even with a cd...it contains no setup files. I can't believe there have not been more people that wanted to install it with a flash drive.

I've spent the whole day and gotten absolutely nowhere.

I install 7 from a flash drive np.

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Old 09-16-2010
Beyond Help

Hondacity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Yeah a lot of the guides people follow assume to many things... If that guide does not work try another.

I have been using a USB DVDROM for the last few months.. works great Just plug it in when I need it
usb is limited....how long do you install from cd/dvd?
Old 09-16-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

It's slow.. its a 4x dvd rom I think? Dont matter to me was a freebie... and there are tools to turn USB sticks into virtual floppies, CDroms, or boot drives...

TBH its not any slower than the 8X IDE dvdROM I have... (all my DVDRWs are in "working PCs" LOL)

Im going to be moving to all USB sticks soon though I think...

Going to figure out how to turn this 16GB USB3 stick into a multi OS installation tool
Old 09-16-2010
Beyond Help

Hondacity will become famous soon enough

the bottle neck is the usb..even a usb stick is a bottle neck....sata cables are 100x faster... i just got a freebie image manager i'll practice doing images instead of iso's
Old 09-16-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
the bottle neck is the usb..even a usb stick is a bottle neck....sata cables are 100x faster... i just got a freebie image manager i'll practice doing images instead of iso's
usb3 is faster than sata2... at least in reviews I saw...and much cheaper...

I am thinking of turning my corsair nova series into an IFD drive USB3 for installing... SATA2 for imaging... (IFD does not like imaging to USB drives... imaging to an esata though... perfect )

Might just get one of those 320GB seagate drives that does 160/140 Sustained transfers too and try that out... thats a LOT of TBI files

I dunno, lot to read up on...

Last edited by Neuromancer; 09-16-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2010
OCA Gladiator

Well I wasted 16 hours yesterday trying to get TinyXP installed from a Flash Drive. Awesome. I even tried using my legal copy of XP pro.

I don't know what the problem or problems are, but after that many unsuccessful attempts I'm about to say screw XP and benchmarking.

One big problem is no "windows source files" included in TinyXP....if you guys can install it from an optical drive I should be able to make a virtual drive containing it and copy it to the flash drive. Which I am able to do, but it's not booting for numerous reasons....missing hal.dll so it tells you to use the debug codes if you get that error, but the debug codes don't work either. I get hardware configuration problem when I try debug codes.

Ughhhh I don't even really want to talk about it anymore. I just want the answer.

I have a freshly formatted HD, do I need to pre-partition it? Doesn't windows installer have that function?

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Old 09-17-2010
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_driver View Post
Well I wasted 16 hours yesterday trying to get TinyXP installed from a Flash Drive. Awesome. I even tried using my legal copy of XP pro.

I don't know what the problem or problems are, but after that many unsuccessful attempts I'm about to say screw XP and benchmarking.

One big problem is no "windows source files" included in TinyXP....if you guys can install it from an optical drive I should be able to make a virtual drive containing it and copy it to the flash drive. Which I am able to do, but it's not booting for numerous reasons....missing hal.dll so it tells you to use the debug codes if you get that error, but the debug codes don't work either. I get hardware configuration problem when I try debug codes.

Ughhhh I don't even really want to talk about it anymore. I just want the answer.

I have a freshly formatted HD, do I need to pre-partition it? Doesn't windows installer have that function?
I missed it, why don't you just install from an optical drive?