Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Soundcards We All Need Sound...

Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

GFDuke is on a distinguished road

I can tell you my Martin Logans are very very good. I forget who here told me they were good. But i'm really really glad i bought them.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #8: " Small print leads to large risk. "
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

BenchZowner will become famous soon enough

Which ones are you enjoying listening to Duke ?
Old 10-30-2011
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Nope, the 5.1 headphones are strictly for gaming. I have another, very high end, headphone for music, but I can't remember the name of them either right now : I'll check when I go upstairs later tonite. One of the downfalls of living in a 3 story house

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
Get rid of them immediately.
Get a Sennheiser HD558 headphone and listen to your music & games like you should.

BTW the title's wrong, Bang & Olufsen it is :p

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 10-30-2011
Beyond Help

Ok,

The gaming headsets are Sharkoon Xtatic

The music headphones are beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO/80

For surround sound I still love my little Bose satellites & subwoofers
- 6.1 system with HUGE subwoofer in the TV room
- 2.1 (I think they call it a +3 or something) for the living room TV
- 2.1 (Champions?) in the kitchen for music via pandora

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

why the hell aren't you using the DT770 for your gaming ?!
Paired with a decent sound card they're 10000% better in every single aspect than any "5.1" gaming headphones.
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

What?

I mean I dont use headphones, too paranoid I guess.

But for gaming, cheap surround sound setup is WAY more useful than a good 2 channel setup. Granted I hear more going on in my good 2chan, but I can tell from what direction a noise is coming in my surround.

Granted I have not surround gamed in over a year, been too busy and got too much crammed in to small a space to set it up right. (I would have my polks be channel B and wimpy surround be channel A otherwise) push of a button for kick ass music.

I tried surround with the polks as L/R, but videos and music all come out of the center channel (booo) I mean predominatly...

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

For gaming all you need is a good set of stereo headphones ( AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, SuperLux, etc ) and a sound card with CMSS 3D & Dolby Headphone support.
Configure the game & the card's drivers properly and you'll be FPSing like you're wallhacking.
Terrific sound field & positioning, detailed audio, if a needle is falling in a haystack, you'll hear it.
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
For gaming all you need is a good set of stereo headphones ( AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, SuperLux, etc ) and a sound card with CMSS 3D & Dolby Headphone support.
Configure the game & the card's drivers properly and you'll be FPSing like you're wallhacking.
Terrific sound field & positioning, detailed audio, if a needle is falling in a haystack, you'll hear it.
I suppose, oh. MD does have the rampage 3 black edition. Got a good soundcard already.

On a different note, Eagles are stomping a mudhole on Dallas. Gotta admit im shocked, 21 to nothing.

And back on topic, good headphones desensitize you to your surroundings, which might be a good thing from an audiophile POV, but not from a realistic point of view... Despite surround sound or great music levels, I can still hear my door open when jamming out, or someone coming up the steps while gaming without headphones

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 10-30-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2011
Beyond Help

I'm like Rich, I only use the gaming headphones when I'm upstairs in my little room where no one ever bothers me. I can't use them and sit in an area with other family members around cause if they come up behind me and touch me on the shoulder it scares the bejesus out of me I've been doing mos of my gaming on my ROG laptop with a shitty pair of 2.1 Altec Lansings so no one can sneak up behind me

I'l give the beyerdynanic phones a shot, but can't image it would be better, but I'll check Bought the DT770 PRO headphones for guitar playing at kick ass volumes without driving the wife crazy :

Unfotunately, she's female so still a little crazy... nuttin I can do about that part

www.maaddaawg.com

Last edited by MaadDaawg; 10-31-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2011
OCA Gladiator

For movies they're not better than a surround setup, but for games, trust me, they are untouchable.
When this comes from a hardcore ( used to be at least :p ) gamer who owns quite a few high end audio equipment and has tried everything during his gaming time, from cheap 5.1 to 6.1 and 7.1 PC speaker sets, to very high end hi-fi / home cinema speakers/amplifiers/pre-amps/subs, and cheap to ridiculously expensive headphones, I do believe it counts a lot

If your sound card is a X-Fi powered card ( Creative X-Fi series except the "Xtreme Audio" or Auzentech X-Fi based card ) or even a "software" Creative layer card ( Asus Xtreme-Fi @ high end mobos with EAX 5 HD & CMSS software ), setup your game correctly ( 7.1 ) and your sound card to game mode, headphones output, and CMSS 3D enabled and try some decent sound fps ( counter-strike ain't one of those :p even BFBC2 is more precise, heck, even Rainbow Six 3: RavenShield is much much better in that aspect ) and see for yourself how you can pinpoint everything that occurs in your mp game

For your scare tactics issues, lock the door :p