Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

HDD's & Other Storage Discuss Hard Drives & Other Types Of Storage Here...

Old 07-27-2012
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here
Default Intel NAND

Preface: Started this elsewhere I thought you guys might like to read it too. A bit rough, its a forum post not a blog bit. Maybe I should blog it I don't know... here you go. Its a puzzle BTW. +10 cookies to whomever figures out how I know (The answer is in the pic)

I see a number of websites talking about Intel NAND from Storage reviewers to news agencies.

I see many reports also pointing out (either directly or indirectly) that Indilinx is a Marvell based controller that has been re-badged and given a different firmware.

Intel no longer makes NAND. Intel's latest reports show their NAND producing 26 MBps read speed and 7.5 MBps write speeds. (Way outdated of course). They did form a joint venture with Micron called IMFT or IM flash technologies. They do not list what the IM stands for. One can surmise it is Intel and Micron since they are the only two companies involved.

We know what Micron brings to the table. They have their own successful NAND business outside of IMFT. So what does Intel bring to the table. Dieshrink? They are the leader in dieshrink manipulation yes? transistors smaller than the gates they use? So what do they provide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMFT website
Manufacturing products exclusively for Micron and Intel, IM Flash combines Micron’s expertise in developing NAND technology and operating highly efficient manufacturing facilities with Intel’s multi-level cell technology and history of innovation in the Flash memory business.
Well its not exclusive, since we see IMFT NAND in a number of places. However, it is exclusive if you consider that Micron also sells their NAND to SpecTek (however they own that completely) for re-badging. IMFT is not included in that.

Found that on IMFTs website. Maybe it answers my questions but not directly. Supposition and educated guesses abound.

The point is, some website review the Indilinx controller and say things like "compared to other Marvell driven drives." Those same websites call NAND produced by IM Flash Technlogies "Intel NAND."

The technically accurate term would by IMFT NAND, but if you want to just slap a manufacturers name on it the correct name would be Micron.

Intel was a 49% partner but was a 49% of even the fabrication process. That is until Intel sold/Micron bought out 2/3rd of the FABs. The only FAB left that produces IMFT NAND is in Utah and the ratio still stands. 49% goes to Intel, 51% goes to Micron.

Hmm IMFT was formed in 2005 and Intels LAST NAND was listed in 2006...

Now an argument can be made that it IS Intel NAND. After all AMD doesn't have their own FABs anymore they sold their minority share in Global Foundries earlier this year) Do we think of them as GloFlo chips? No. There is a big difference though. GloFo does not design and build GPUs they just fab out the silicon. IS that what Micron is doing?
So obviously since Intel is a minority partner in their construction and sells it as their own we must call it "Intel NAND." Sure and since the Porsche 914 flat 4 was labeled a Porsche in America that means it was a Porsche right?

I know it, it is obvious to any that looks at the chips. +10 cookies to the first person that spots it The point is that any reviewer that opens up the drive can see who makes the NAND. I leave this with a requote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMFT website
Manufacturing products exclusively for Micron and Intel, IM Flash combines Micron’s expertise in developing NAND technology and operating highly efficient manufacturing facilities with Intel’s multi-level cell technology and history of innovation in the Flash memory business.
Here is your hint. This NAND came off a SSD made in Taiwan.
IMG_1703.JPG

EDIT: This is not an anti-Intel sentiment BTW. Intel is not the one calling this "Intel NAND" other people are. It's an anti-poor research piece.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 07-27-2012 at 05:31 PM.