Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Suggestions Have An Idea...

Old 07-29-2009
OCA Gladiator

69_Goat is on a distinguished road

Not a bad idea, Bones. I've got some P4 stuff around here that I would like to figure out how to clock properly. I never could get SetFSB or any other software utilities to work for me. It would give me a chance to learn on these older platforms and capture more points on the bot.

Old 07-29-2009
Classicplatforms Warrior

Bones is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
To follow up on Bones post, have a similar benchoff for vintage stuff, using Far Cry 1 as the bench of choice. No dual cores, and bassically, if it uses DDR2, its too new.
Only problem I see right now is that the newest GPU's can still be used with many of these setups. It's possible to go out and pickup a $500 card and PWN the class in the literal sense.

Limitations of the GPU model used would have to be in place to keep things on a more even playing field. Also as an example, AMD 939 DC systems use DDR so it would have to be restricted to single core chips for that class if keeping it single core only.

Again, it's up to you guys on how to handle this.

Last edited by Bones; 07-29-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2009
Full Blown Addict

Cecil is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Only problem I see right now is that the newest GPU's can still be used with many of these setups. It's possible to go out and pickup a $500 card and PWN the class in the literal sense.

Limitations of the GPU model used would have to be in place to keep things on a more even playing field. Also as an example, AMD 939 DC systems use DDR so it would have to be restricted to single core chips for that class if keeping it single core only.

Again, it's up to you guys on how to handle this.
I figured using a year restriction on GPUs, or generation at least.
Old 07-30-2009
Classicplatforms Warrior

Quote:
I figured using a year restriction on GPUs, or generation at least.
I'd say any GPU based on DX10 or newer is out such as my 8600GTS for example.
All 7 series GPU's made by Nvidia are DX9 based and affordable nowadays.
Old 07-30-2009
Beyond Help

Splave will become famous soon enough

cool ideas, this thread has
Old 07-30-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
If you looked you would have seen that cooling was to be included in pricetag in my addition, I do however see your point. How about adding a couple of temp monitors into the screenie? Simply say no sub zero cooling and if someone has a score that is too good to be true just shove a boot in where they won't like it!

Well, using newegg as the benchmark for prices would solve any "price" issues. IT does not matter if you paid half or twice the amount. USe newegg prices as a benchmark.

(Still has flaws, as newegg prices change daily, and MIRs would have to be excluded because they do not pertain to everyone)

As for cooling. I am going to try running a duct off a central air vent. Does that mean I have to add 5 or more grand to my price list? lol

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-02-2009
Classicplatforms Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Well, using newegg as the benchmark for prices would solve any "price" issues. IT does not matter if you paid half or twice the amount. USe newegg prices as a benchmark.

(Still has flaws, as newegg prices change daily, and MIRs would have to be excluded because they do not pertain to everyone)

As for cooling. I am going to try running a duct off a central air vent. Does that mean I have to add 5 or more grand to my price list? lol
Only problem I can see is if running hardware in a "Vintage" class (If one is created) that's old enough for the Egg to no longer have a listing on it.

I'm not saying there coudn't be a way to resolve this but that's a real sticking point if the class is created. Perhaps with these, using the average Fleabay selling price would work - Maybe?
Old 08-02-2009
Full Blown Addict

Cecil is just getting started

Quote:
Only problem I can see is if running hardware in a "Vintage" class (If one is created) that's old enough for the Egg to no longer have a listing on it.

I'm not saying there coudn't be a way to resolve this but that's a real sticking point if the class is created. Perhaps with these, using the average Fleabay selling price would work - Maybe?
Was thinking for Vintage stuff, since its sold cheap now anyway, price wouldnt matter. Just anything prior to a certain date in time.
Old 08-02-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:

Quote:
Was thinking for Vintage stuff, since its sold cheap now anyway, price wouldnt matter. Just anything prior to a certain date in time.
Well I would say that depends on "Vintage"

Does EOL count as vintage? I mean 8800s are 9800s are 250s yes? Yeah they are tweaked a little but same basic hardware. Last I saw an 8800 Ultra held or exceeded any 9800 minus the GX2.. (especially at uber high res (which does not matter for benching of course)

And do the old wildcat 4000s count as dual GPU lol

(they had 2 gpus on them..)

If we have a vintage class. Must have a limitation. And gen does not work exactly, because of all this. How about era instead.

Wow, I do not envy you guys that have to come up with rules for this stuff (I overthink everything and would get so fuX0red...)

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-03-2009
Classicplatforms Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Well I would say that depends on "Vintage"

Does EOL count as vintage? I mean 8800s are 9800s are 250s yes? Yeah they are tweaked a little but same basic hardware. Last I saw an 8800 Ultra held or exceeded any 9800 minus the GX2.. (especially at uber high res (which does not matter for benching of course)

And do the old wildcat 4000s count as dual GPU lol

(they had 2 gpus on them..)

If we have a vintage class. Must have a limitation. And gen does not work exactly, because of all this. How about era instead.

Wow, I do not envy you guys that have to come up with rules for this stuff (I overthink everything and would get so fuX0red...)
Well, I did suggest earlier that any "8" series GPU's not be allowed, only the ones that was made to support DX9 by it's specifications or older be what's used in that class.

No, I don't envy the guys who gonna have to make the rules either....

Let's keep the ideas coming.

Last edited by Bones; 08-03-2009 at 09:51 AM.