Overclockaholics Forums » Software Section » XP » Fatkid N-lite guide

Notices

XP Ol' Reliable...

Old 03-04-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road
Default Fatkid N-lite guide

Quote:
Ok here we go with the Nlite tutorial. Nlite will allow you to do many things with your Operating System installs. One of the nice tools it allows you to do is slipstream the pesky F6 RAID/SCSI drivers into your install so that you do not need any floppy discs. **Note the installs created with Nlite will not allow you to run any “Windows Repairs.” They are used for installs only.** You can read more about Nlite here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLite and download here http://www.nliteos.com/download.html Now on to the tutorial

1st here is the startup screen that will allow you to select your language.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Next, you need to browse to the location of your installation. *Note this can be either a disc or a mounted image of a saved disc.*

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Here I am using a mounted image. I usually rip all my OS’s just so I can archive the discs just to prevent damage.

Now pick a location where it will save your files that you are editing. I keep all my files in one location. Just incase you need to reload the files.

Nlite will copy the files to your hard drive now for editing.

You can save installs and settings to reload at a later time and load them from here

Now you can choose options to add/subtract. For this tutorial I will focus on adding drivers and some quick time savers. There are many options that you can add or you can remove products from the installation that you do not need. You can also use this tool to create a gutted OS for benching, by removing things like the Help sections or drivers/services that are not needed. Be careful removing components as I have created many a CD coaster by removing the wrong things. I may at some time redo a stripped OS tutorial, but for now you are on your own for testing.

Next we will actually slipstream drivers in by selecting the “Multiple Driver Folder” option.

Point Nlite to your RAID/SCSI folder.

And pick your appropriate driver package

Next pick the actual driver. You can pick more than one driver if you are not certain. In this case there are drivers for many chipsets, I know that I need the basic ICH8R/ICH9R RAID driver. *Be sure to select the Textmode driver for Pre-OS installs.

Now it will show which drivers you have slipstreamed. In this case I have only one.

Next it will allow me to select many standalone install options. In this case I have chosen to just insert my key. (Yes I know that one won’t work, What do you expect; me to give you all free keys? )

Now you can start the processing of the additions/cuts

Nlite will show you how much you have added/subtracted from the install next

Now it will take you to an option to create an ISO or direct burn an image. *I usually just create an ISO so that I can go back and burn multiple copies at later dates if I need.*

Now title the disc and click “Burn ISO.” If you have selected the direct burn be sure to insert a disc and then the “Make Disc” button will appear. *DO NOT CLICK NEXT AT THIS POINT!!!*

It will process the ISO and allow you to save it to a location. You can then burn the ISO with a utility of your choice. If you have no ISO burning software I recommend Astroburn a free and lite choice for burning ISO’s. You can download here: http://www.astroburn.com/download/astroburn/free

Thanks Fatkid!