Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » Water Cooling » Fans... To Push Pull or not to Push Pull? TITQ

Notices

Water Cooling Chilled And Ambient Setups...

Old 06-30-2009
Junior Addict

Afterburner is on a distinguished road
Default Fans... To Push Pull or not to Push Pull? TITQ

OK... I am starting my weekend project nick knack purchasing....

I am getting these to try (Unless some here has and they did not work as well as a pair of 655's ).....

One of these....

A Pair of these.....

Now... As I am doing this I plan to re-do the front end again on my MM case so the res mounts correctly in its new home. That brought a few questions to mind... Which one is better?

A..... Can I run 120x25 (EX Fans) as Shrouds and go like this... Case-RAD-Shrouds-Fan Fan = 120x25 110cfm
A-1.... Same but with Kaze 3000's... Hate the noise...

B.... Case-FAN-RAD-FAN all 120x25's @ 110CFM (this is how it is now)

C.... Case-FAN-RAD-Shroud-FAN... All 120x25 @ 110 cfm's...

I am running a BIX 360 on just the CPU and my temps stay @ 70c now with my 24/7 4.00 clock... Makes no difference what I set the fan speed to... Temps stay the same from 1/2 power to all on... Off = death of course

Thanks folks!!!

P.S. I looked for the Martin's test of this thought process, did not find it yet... still looking... & I have posted this question elsewhere....
#1... 800D | x79 DARK | 3930K | 2133 Gskill | 780 ACX CLassified Surround | 3x ASUS VG248QE 144Hz | EVGA Classified SR-2 1200W
Obutto Cockpit

Old 06-30-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

What fans are you running on the BIX? Those have a high fin count IIRC and would really benefit from some 120x38MM fans for increased pressure.

I do not know what fans you are running already, but see 110CFm listed. And 120x25mm.

Another thing to consider is

CFM means nothing if it opts for the path of least resistance

Also shrouds tend to work best by getting a real one. The dead fan as spacer helps a little (eliminates the dead spot at the fan spindle) but a true shroud will open up even more area of the rad to be cooled.

I am no WC expert though.

Just out of curiosity.

You listed a dual loop res, and you are getting two pumps... what are you adding? what GPU i mean

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 06-30-2009
Junior Addict

Thanks for the help! I will try and answer best I can...

This build is all about trying a few things I have never tried before. I do this on a regular basis!

The goal with this build is to run the 285's on air and only air. I will still have two loops. And reduce the amount of hose I have while still keeping things clean.
  1. Loop 1 is only the Vreg and NB blocks. They will be tied to a Feser 120.2...
  2. Loop 2 is only for the CPU... Hot son of a gun... With a BIX 360

I do have a lot of the Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream SY1225SL12SH - 110 CFM fans. And three Kaze 120x38 133cfm 3000's....

I also have three 120x25 hollowed out fans for spacers... Made them today

I am getting two of the pumps..... My plan is two convert one of the triple 5 1/4 bays into a fan holder pushing air right into the GPU's along with the third unused fan spot next to the 120.2 Feser RAD...

Hope that makes since? Also... I keep looking for fan shrouds and have not found one worthy of buying. You have any links to what you like? Thanks!
#1... 800D | x79 DARK | 3930K | 2133 Gskill | 780 ACX CLassified Surround | 3x ASUS VG248QE 144Hz | EVGA Classified SR-2 1200W
Obutto Cockpit

Old 06-30-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

I am too ghetto for purchasing a shroud

IIRC the BIX has space to run screws all the way through the rad.

I would just get some 3-4" screws and make stand offs for the kaze fans and use duct tape as the shroud (I would try masking tape first cause it is less messy, but I think it would not handle the pressure of those fans)

Fans on the other side would just be for show

I have never had a fan like the Kaze, (reading hte specs) even my Panaflos are not that powerful. My old nidec BetaV was, heavy as hell, but you could lay it on the desk and turn it on and have to chase it lol

I would think the 120.2 would be severe overkill for NB/VRM but if you got it laying around...

JOOC, when is the last time you soaked your rad?

Old 06-30-2009
Junior Addict

lol... Yep on the Overkill... I always try to set my systems up for expansion later. This way I do not spend money twice. Even if I do not use it now, I know down the road it will either being cooling just a CPU, or possibly the Vreg, NB and a pair of GPU's...

I found some of what I was looking for as a reference point for the Fan/Shroud.....

I think I have settled on getting a few more Kaze 3000's and run both the Feser RAD and BIX RAD like this......

Case-FAN-Shroud-RAD...... in push mode....

This way I get the cubic air pressure needed and still be able to run them at half RPM for noise level acceptability during 24/7 times...

Off to Newegg... they always sell them for $7.50 each if you buy four....
Obutto Cockpit

Old 07-02-2009
OCA Gladiator

Sweet.

See by your other thread.. you are going with the swiftech stackers.

You still going with the Kaze fans?

I know the MCR320 is a low fin density, and does not see much benefit from overkill fans, but pushing through two, it just might make a differnce Would be great to see a comparison if that is what you are doing