Overclockaholics Forums » Reviews » Windows Home Server Project

Notices

Reviews Hardware/Software Reviews

Old 11-10-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Buckeye will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
All in all, very nice setup Bill, I have only one question..

955, 1200W PSU OCZ reapers, and you put a 210 in it? Why not 2x 295s lol

By the way, most of the stuff WHS does can be done in regular windows except the backup (unless you use acronis, or that TB software that I may be purchasing depending on how this eBay auction ends up) or the user interface you get with WHS. A simple concurrent sessions hack, lets me RDP into my HTPC without disrupting the logged on user, and administer the HTPC as I see fit, installing IIS would let me do this from the internet as well, but I do not really need that function. Although my HTPC is no longer with me (left it for my sister and her kids) so I should probably install IIS on it.
HAHA Neuro, all that stuff will be replaced

But you got me thinking... I can run a bot account for some online game on it

Yes a simple Win 7 or even XP box can do a lot vs WHS, but WHS does so much more so easly.

Just to try it out and see how everything worked I went over to Renee's wireless laptop, brought up the videos folder and played a movie, not one clitch and the WHS was in crunching mode at the same time.

Lots of add-ons for WHS that I have to start taking a look at and see whats good out there.

As for Kal I am having a fiber cable layed accross the ocean that will connect you right up
Old 12-03-2009
MIA POML

Chuchnit will become famous soon enough

Little thread revival here.....

Very cool little setup buckeye. I want a home server too :(

Question though. How far can you take it with this kind of setup though? Say you bought some expensive software like Adobe CS4 Master Collection ($2500), could you install it on the WHS, yet access the proggy and run it from all machines on the network? Of course granted the server was strong enough to run the program smoothly. Pretty much what I'm saying is this a cheap way of buying one software key, but using it on multiple machines in the network?

http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=13
Old 12-03-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchnit View Post
Little thread revival here.....

Very cool little setup buckeye. I want a home server too :(

Question though. How far can you take it with this kind of setup though? Say you bought some expensive software like Adobe CS4 Master Collection ($2500), could you install it on the WHS, yet access the proggy and run it from all machines on the network? Of course granted the server was strong enough to run the program smoothly. Pretty much what I'm saying is this a cheap way of buying one software key, but using it on multiple machines in the network?
You could do that with my setup, using Radmin.

Not sure if those programs will work well on WHS OS tho. You would also need a better GPU than I use, I think anyway.

On the flip side, all files can be saved directly to the WHS and work off of that. Videos stream right off the WHS just fine, be it a Media file or a ISO that you mount. I have seen some setups where video is streamed right to your home media center and played on the big screen.

I havent tried makin a short cut of a program and placing that on my main rig and then trying to run it... hmm...

Last edited by Buckeye; 12-03-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
HAHA Neuro, all that stuff will be replaced

But you got me thinking... I can run a bot account for some online game on it

Yes a simple Win 7 or even XP box can do a lot vs WHS, but WHS does so much more so easly.

Just to try it out and see how everything worked I went over to Renee's wireless laptop, brought up the videos folder and played a movie, not one clitch and the WHS was in crunching mode at the same time.

Lots of add-ons for WHS that I have to start taking a look at and see whats good out there.

As for Kal I am having a fiber cable layed accross the ocean that will connect you right up
Hah hah. Nice, I have not used it since it was in BETA, and it was pretty rough then. I would have gotten into it but it seemed a little expensive when it first came out but it is pretty cheap right now. I might have to invest in something like that when I move.

Keep us posted on what plugins and stuff you use, or even what looks good

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 12-03-2009
MIA POML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
You could do that with my setup, using Radmin.

Not sure if those programs will work well on WHS OS tho. You would also need a better GPU than I use, I think anyway.

On the flip side, all files can be saved directly to the WHS and work off of that. Videos stream right off the WHS just fine, be it a Media file or a ISO that you mount. I have seen some setups where video is streamed right to your home media center and played on the big screen.
Coolness. I guess CS4 is a bad example but I think you get what I mean. As long as the server at hand is capable of handling the software it can be done. Guess it really wouldn't be such a smart idea though since you'd probably want Radmin on as few computers as possible. I guess I was thinking something more like remote desktop, but now I'm in way over my head.

Old 12-03-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchnit View Post
Coolness. I guess CS4 is a bad example but I think you get what I mean. As long as the server at hand is capable of handling the software it can be done. Guess it really wouldn't be such a smart idea though since you'd probably want Radmin on as few computers as possible. I guess I was thinking something more like remote desktop, but now I'm in way over my head.
Radmin is pretty simple to use, I prefer it over remote desktop, dont know why really LOL
Old 12-03-2009
MIA POML

Wouldn't you have a large(r) security issue having such a powerful program on many machines though? I figured you'd want to have that on just one machine to limit security risk?????

Old 12-03-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Very interesting...........................
Old 12-03-2009
MIA POML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
Very interesting...........................
Hi Kal

Bill and his stupid tech pron. Now I want a Home server too...... Does it ever stop?........

Old 12-03-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry Chuchnit, the only solution is to satiate you're lust for hardware by purchasing more hardware and selling off the hardware you have already had you're way with.