Hondacity will become famous soon enough
Default Prolimatech Samuel 17

someone posted this heatsink over @ xs

and i thought it might be good....but reading hwc review

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-9.html

i'm not impressed
Old 08-14-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

The idea and design looks sound.

the testing methodology is ridiculous though. Why compare something geared at a HTPC to something geared at OC machines. I am surprised it performed as well as it did on a stock core i7. (within 5C of the megahalem)

I do like the design, but designers should really consider all applications of a HS before actually manufacturing it. The fact that it does not sit well on AMD socket is just ridiculous. Its like the guys at prolimatech decided to take a nap on this one. they do this again and they should have just stayed at thermalright.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-14-2010
Beyond Help

reading miahalems oc with the hs..just tells me his cpu is good lol (6.8ghz on ln2)

as for them staying @ thermalright? they did the megahalems right..it beats the thermalright venom x.
Old 08-14-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

One good HS does not a company make though.... And you pay through the nose for a megaharlem (I got mine for $60 I think, which is alot less than most places charge)

All they did with the megaharlem was fix what was wrong with TRUE120 though. Something thermalright really should have done themselves but refused too.

(How long was the TRUE the best HS ever???)

I was really complaining about the review not the Heatsink though. Seen a lot of messed up stuff being posted lately on different forums comparing apples to oranges, or even worse Apples to cheeseburgers (mmmm)

Last edited by Neuromancer; 08-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2010
Beyond Help

Quote:
One good HS does not a company make though.... And you pay through the nose for a megaharlem (I got mine for $60 I think, which is alot less than most places charge)

All they did with the megaharlem was fix what was wrong with TRUE120 though. Something thermalright really should have done themselves but refused too.
if thermalright refuses this..and prolimatech did...and it beats thermalright..then it makes them a leader...(silver arrow looks good and might put thermalright back on top)

your first sentence was contradicted by the fact from your last sentence.

Quote:
I was really complaining about the review not the Heatsink though. Seen a lot of messed up stuff being posted lately on different forums comparing apples to oranges, or even worse Apples to cheeseburgers (mmmm)
i7-920 is the best platform to test it out on...easily a 150w load...unlike the q6600 or even the i5 ..easily making alot of heat.
Old 08-14-2010
OCA Gladiator

FACE is on a distinguished road

I think what he was talking about was comparing the Megahalems to the smaller form factor H/S that any 3rd grader can tell will not hang. It's like setting a '72 Barracuda next to a top-fuel funny car, and then saying "Barracudas suck."

It should have had compared like heatsinks... as in other low-pro heasinks for servers and htpc's... That is, unless it performed crazy-awesome, then it should be stepped up just to show how it performs vs. the next grade up.

Nooob#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Don't forget to delete System32!!!
Old 08-14-2010
Beyond Help

heatsinks aren't like cars...if you have a car...you'd know if its a v6 v8 v10 v16

i920 @ 3.6-3.8ghz isn't exactly a hard load for most after market good heatsinks...

my baseline for any review is the stock heatsink...and we all know if an aftermarket heatsink manufacturer introduces a product...we compare results agains the stock heatsink...its that simple...

just look at the intel stock heatsink..and the sam17..they perform almost similar...which is weird..

miahallen used a noisy delta fan.......i wouldn't use a delta fan on my daily pc
Old 08-14-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACE View Post
I think what he was talking about was comparing the Megahalems to the smaller form factor H/S that any 3rd grader can tell will not hang. It's like setting a '72 Barracuda next to a top-fuel funny car, and then saying "Barracudas suck."

It should have had compared like heatsinks... as in other low-pro heasinks for servers and htpc's... That is, unless it performed crazy-awesome, then it should be stepped up just to show how it performs vs. the next grade up.

Thanks man.. In HCs defense I did get side tracked by a little prolimatech hate. They came out with the mega... and released papers on like 5 other heatsinks. And never made any of them.

In other words.. they are living off their true120 design.. (they are the designers of it) the TRUE120 was like 3-4 years old when they left TR... so yes, I can legitimately hate on the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
heatsinks aren't like cars...if you have a car...you'd know if its a v6 v8 v10 v16

i920 @ 3.6-3.8ghz isn't exactly a hard load for most after market good heatsinks...

my baseline for any review is the stock heatsink...and we all know if an aftermarket heatsink manufacturer introduces a product...we compare results agains the stock heatsink...its that simple...

just look at the intel stock heatsink..and the sam17..they perform almost similar...which is weird..

miahallen used a noisy delta fan.......i wouldn't use a delta fan on my daily pc
Why do you keep talking about Jeremiah? He did not do that review.

As for comparing it against the stock Intel heatsink...

Lets do an apples to apples comparison...

Samuel is smaller. (debateable.. looks smaller..in height i am not going to look up specs I dont care.. $54 it is too expensive)
S has Larger fan
S has Slower Fan
S has Quieter fan
S adds more DAC cooling to the VRMs.

Yah know since you brought up the car analogy. It likes comparing a small block V6 against a straight 6 stock and a bunch of nascar tweaked engines (V8s punched out, supercharged, hipo fuel) and guess what... despite all that.. with a low load.. the Sammy was still within 5C load at stock of the mega.

Am I going to buy that HS? Hell no.
Why? Overpriced, under capable and like most products problems fitting it on every mobo.

As far as reviews go? Thats a THG review. Not a Canuck review, is what I am really saying.

Last edited by Neuromancer; 08-14-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2010
Full Blown Addict

Cecil is just getting started

They should have compared this against the Geminii S and Big Shuriken, on an AMD or clarkdale system. Ive used both of those sinks, and this "looks" like it should be better, but Id like to know for sure. I hate the Geminii S Im using right now in my HTPC.
Old 09-12-2010
Shameful Lurker

overclocking101 is just getting started

imo they should have compared it to other HTPC fans. facts are facts and for what it is it does ok. a few degrees better then the stock fan and fits in tiny spaces. had they made it bigger it may have performed better but then making the purpose moot. most HTPC's wont run off a 920. i have seen most be 775 boards or 1156 which have a smaller thermal footprint. more then likely the heatsink performs well up until its overheats from the sheer heat output of the 920. but you may never know unless you test it yourself. maybe ill do that.