Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » Water Cooling » Preliminary testing for upcoming build

Notices

Water Cooling Chilled And Ambient Setups...

Old 01-31-2013
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys,

Ordering some 1/4" fittings for the next round of testing. Adding legit pump and res into the loop ........
Old 01-31-2013
OCA Gladiator

ThreeDhero is just getting started

Nice temps on water!

Old 02-08-2013
OCA Gladiator

Well I finally got my 1/2" x 1/4" fittings

Tomight I introduced a res and 655 B pump that would be the same as a D5 multi speed pump on setting 4

Using the Y & S fans at an ambient of 20.5C

1.408v 4889MHZ (65) (67) (65) (55) = 63C

being it is a half of a degree celsius and the total package only dropped by .75C I have to say this would be with in the margin of error, so no benefit here ......... but wait there's more, for some reason that I have not figured out yet it has raised my idol temps 2C and is still giving me the same load temps ....

This is actually a good thing as I am having no condensation what so ever, So the res and pump combo in effect has had a positive impact on the overall validity of using this ina 24/7 rig

And although not applicable to the testing the pump res has made a hair shy of 5GHz possible even with this POS chip, temps arn't bad considering the volts. On indoor ambient water it would be a melt down .........

The next and final step of this preliminary testing will be to introduce a Fesser Quad Exchanger into the loop. I am thinkiing it will increase my idol temps yet again, this does not bother me as I hope it will contain the wicked curve I get under load. Hoping for a few more degree's ..........

With a decent chip who knows may be able to get 5.0 Ghz 24/7 stable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.88 with 655.jpg (151.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0969.JPG (266.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 4.988.jpg (152.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-08-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Are you water cooling the hot side of the TECs or the cold side?

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 02-09-2013
OCA Gladiator

The cold side and the hot side is disapated into the aluminum coil and the fans pull ambient throught the coil
Old 02-09-2013
OCA Gladiator

DOM is on a distinguished road

wouldnt it be better to cool the hot side ?

Old 02-09-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Thats how TEC cooling usually works, because Radiators add temps to subambient cooling however he is blowing past the TEC wattage capabilites so i warming the TECs in exchange for adding maximum cooling capability.

Its why the boreas only sold 2 units lol.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 02-10-2013
OCA Gladiator

Here it is, the good bad and the ugly ....

Adding a rad to this system turned out to be an epic fail. Adding the ambient to the loop did raise the idol temps to a comfortable level that would in fact never condense.
However the Boreas unit simply does not have to capacity to cool the added heat that is added to the loop

Ambient = 20C

1.408v 4889MHZ (75) (79) (74) (67) = 73.75C

While these results were for told by Rick I could have saved a lot of work by listening ........... But I had to find out for myself and had some fun doing it and was able to bring pretty strong results being the test conditions were controlled as close as I possible could to obtain viable results

Here is a table showing all the results from the test in one place

While this is not the typical here at OCA as we are usually talking about chillers, Phase, dice or Ln2 temps this unit seems to be pretty much a joke in those terms. However I am not trying to compare this unit in those terms, but in terms of a water cooled 24/7 rigs

While it is undisputable this unit does have limited capacity, It is also undisputable that it is crushing ambient water to the tune of 15C, in those terms this unit is nothing less than impressive as all of us have played with water and fought over a few degree's sometime or other. So while I was Hoping for a 20C to 25C advantage over ambient water I find it hard to be disappointed with the results

To sum it the final spec going into my upcoming build will be small res w/D5pump. I will be using a higher quality high flow block to maximize flow in hopes to grab a degree or two. I will be surrendering a few degrees as I am opting to use the Yates Silent fans as the trade off is worth it for a 24/7 rig IMO

Thanks for reading .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.888 with rad and fans.jpg (149.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0971.JPG (271.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Boreas Test Results.jpg (158.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-10-2013
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road

So, what are your plans on testing this on the cards Brian? I really would like to see how the Boreas can hold up there.

Going to give one of these a spin on the next project, but will likely have to move from my mid-towers to full in order to fit it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835709001

Last edited by rickss69; 02-10-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2013
OCA Gladiator

I have decided to use a dual loop. I just do not think this unit is up to the job if I add GPU's into the loop, I am going to use this to maximize CPU clocks as I think I will reap the best results, The thinking is with 2 over cards at 230 watts a piece at stock clocks I will be looking 460 watts and if I go tri 690 watts ... that's stock .........

Overclocked it could get ugly ..........

My thinking is I would have to water couple this unit and even then it could struggle. That plus would probably have to buy higher capacity TEC's. I am speculating but I am thinking possible only a 5C advantage over ambient, that being said I have the room for 3x 480 rads to cool them so one to argue I will have ambient water coming back to them.

So looking at the TEC to cool the CPU and typical ambient water cooling for the GPU's ...Mind you that the typical water cooling will be over the top

I would have like to see as well, but thinking it is a waste of time and money as I would have to buy blocks that would not be used for the build just to find out where I stand and with the CPU testing results I am convinced this unit would be crushed by a tri SLI set up. Single card set up I do believe would be a worthwhile endeavor, I think this unit would bring some great results under those circumstances.