Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Air Cooling Air Powered...

Old 06-13-2009
MIA POML

Chuchnit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by punx223 View Post
better question if your looking for something for general testing and stuff why didnt you go with a true?
Cause I'm just trying to see who's right about fans. I don't have the funds to go buy a bunch of coolers to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
Chucky! Stuff that thing full of cotton before you bleed out! You know I don't respect any review site really and you know why.

Well first I'm not butthurt about anything :p I'm just responding to your statement. I know you don't like review sites and neither do I when it comes to VGA reviews. However, without buying 10 or 12 of the top coolers and testing myself, I have no choice but to base my aircooling decisions off of the review sites. What I did was spend about 5 hours reading every current aircooler review I could. That included personal user test which were usually between the TRUE and Megahalem. I had to weed what I thought were shitty reviews, and kind of average out the results from the rest.

SteveO said he thought the Mugen was a clear winner and has been using them since I showed them to him a few months ago. My personal experience with Scythe is very good, it's so good that I would recommend them on name alone! SteveO started with the TRUE if you remember...

That may be true, but being the uber "gotta test to know" kinda guy you are, you know there are waay to many variables to call that a test. That's my whole point. Steve doesn't have the same componets, nor the same ambients, or probably the same fans; etc. You know that's a no no to base your opinion off of. If this was a waterblock review, you would be tearing your post apart The ONLY reason I didn't get a TRUE is for two reasons: 1st, The mounting was touted as way better with the Megahalem. 2nd, The TRUE is notoriously known for needing lapping. I don't really feel like dealing with that unless I want to; not need to.

Prove me wrong! Don't believe me! Just remember that I have your best interests at heart here.

The ball is in your court to do the proving :cool: You made the statement about it sucking. I'm not buying 3 or 4 coolers to compare, and I'm definitely not going to waiste my time on the internet again to show you all the test. You wouldn't believe those anyways, right? :rolleyes:

http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=13
Old 06-13-2009
Full Blown Addict

hellcamino is on a distinguished road

Well, SteveO is using a few of them and using them over the TRUE he still owns. Remember that I still build many pc's for other people and the vast majority are air-cooled, most of the coolers on the market don't impress me much either! I can vouch for the Xigmatech being less than stated. It works real well as long as you don't mind your cpu idling at 50c on a quad.

The reference to a TRUE...I wouldn't use one if given to me as the QC on them is awful at best. The need to lap a new heatsink is bs.

When I do give you any kind of advice John I do it sincerely and drawing on the hundreds of pc's that I have built in the last 3-4 years. Almost all were overclocked and only one that wasn't mine was water cooled. Let me know how the front ram slots work out for you with that megahalem btw =P

Have I done any official comparison testing? No. What I have done is a lot of hands on work with machines and gotten to know pretty well what works and what doesn't and what foibles certain piles of parts may have. I think on a quad you will find that the megahalem is better than stock but not by tons, on a dual core it should work fairly well...About on par with a Zalman.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 06-13-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

I installed the stock Intel QX9650 Fan h/s on Rogue210's starter rig with a 65nm QX6700. For the first two days @ stock speeds, idle temps were in the 50's. I left it on as I worked on the rest of the pc lighting, os configuration, proggie installs etc. Today its running at a coool 32c idle after being on for about 4 hours.

Seems like that pre-applied guck that intel puts on their h/s takes a bit of time to break in. sign2
Old 06-13-2009
Full Blown Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I installed the stock Intel QX9650 Fan h/s on Rogue210's starter rig with a 65nm QX6700. For the first two days @ stock speeds, idle temps were in the 50's. I left it on as I worked on the rest of the pc lighting, os configuration, proggie installs etc. Today its running at a coool 32c idle after being on for about 4 hours.

Seems like that pre-applied guck that intel puts on their h/s takes a bit of time to break in. sign2
I've noticed that too. Wait till you see the stock cooler for i7, it's about 2.5x the size of a 775 quad cooler. The paste they use on the stock coolers is supposedely impossible to get entirely off the chip without lapping (no clue on that one) but the stock coolers do benefit from almost any aftermarket TIM.

Old 06-13-2009
MIA POML

Quote:
Well, SteveO is using a few of them and using them over the TRUE he still owns. Remember that I still build many pc's for other people and the vast majority are air-cooled, most of the coolers on the market don't impress me much either! I can vouch for the Xigmatech being less than stated. It works real well as long as you don't mind your cpu idling at 50c on a quad.

The reference to a TRUE...I wouldn't use one if given to me as the QC on them is awful at best. The need to lap a new heatsink is bs.

When I do give you any kind of advice John I do it sincerely and drawing on the hundreds of pc's that I have built in the last 3-4 years. Almost all were overclocked and only one that wasn't mine was water cooled. Let me know how the front ram slots work out for you with that megahalem btw =P

Have I done any official comparison testing? No. What I have done is a lot of hands on work with machines and gotten to know pretty well what works and what doesn't and what foibles certain piles of parts may have. I think on a quad you will find that the megahalem is better than stock but not by tons, on a dual core it should work fairly well...About on par with a Zalman.

Reserving this post to either prove you wrong or show that you need to mount your aircoolers better :p

Here is a little teaser until I finish my compilation of reviews, links and screenies of real users with lower temps than you state. Especially idle temps

http://blog.daum.net/dsjjang8/8907284

Notice to all viewers: Hellcamino and I are good friends. This is not personal, but rather a little competition of who is right. Don't take this as a flame war cause all is good in msn chat :p

Old 06-13-2009
Full Blown Addict

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...2_8.html#sect0

Note the fan speeds here as well.
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...7-coolers.html

Here is the best and largest review I can find, I barely even glanced at the results figuring this might be a good time to put this topic to bed and consider Chucky pwnt =P
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/347...b916a5ffed.png

btw I only like Chucky because he gives such great helmet!

Just kidding there are other reasons I like Chuchnit!

Old 06-13-2009
MIA POML

k buddy. You can't declare yourself the winner because you posted three links. Two of which are the same review and the third is pointless since it gives you no details as to testing methods or anything. I'll bbl to update my one post bud. I'll see you your three links and raise you many showing Megahalems and TRUE pretty much at a tie. Scythe Mugen 2 equal in some test/fan speeds and lacking (barely) in other portions.

Honestly they are all nice coolers. Problem is even with the test you linked, the megahalem "once you figure out that the megahalem is a disappointment you can switch to the Mugen II immediately." That statement is totally wrong. You just made yourself eat your own words there Franky. Honestly my work is done now cause you did it for me. Now since you continued to insert foot in mouth, I'll make you eat your "Quad = 50c idle on air" statement.

FWIW, I never said the Mugen is a bad cooler. I've told you that on the phone. I just didn't want it. Plus the Megahalem IS by all accounts in the top 2 for coolers once you take out the retarded IFX-4. I wouldn't protest putting the Mugen 2 in there either. Oh, and this don't even matter because they came out with a revision of your old cooler

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=25671

Old 06-13-2009
Full Blown Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchnit View Post
I'll make you eat your "Quad = 50c idle on air" statement.

Quote:
I can vouch for the Xigmatech being less than stated. It works real well as long as you don't mind your cpu idling at 50c on a quad.
Five mounts on one cooler, don't buy one as it really disappointed the crap out of me. Notice that Chucky doesn't deny the ability to give GREAT helmet! The fact that that Megahalem costs 40% more than the Mugen only to get beat by it in the majority of tests is pretty grim man, I would be defensive too.

btw that is pretty cool that they are bringing back an old favorite although mine was the infinity model.

Last edited by hellcamino; 06-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2009
MIA POML

Quote:
Five mounts on one cooler, don't buy one as it really disappointed the crap out of me. Notice that Chucky doesn't deny the ability to give GREAT helmet! The fact that that Megahalem costs 40% more than the Mugen only to get beat by it in the majority of tests is pretty grim man, I would be defensive too.

btw that is pretty cool that they are bringing back an old favorite although mine was the infinity model.
Dude when I get the time I am gonna show you that you once again are still wrong and inable to admit defeat. The mugen DOES NOT win in the majority of test! Now if I remember correctly, the Mugen II does better than the Megahalem and TRUE at lower fan speeds. I could be wrong but I don't remember because I was mainly paying attn to the top coolers in all test :p Fan speed isn't part of this arguement :cool:

I will totally agree that the Mugen is the best bang for the buck air cooler and there is NO arguement to be had there. Be patient padawan, I'll pwn you laterz.

Old 06-13-2009
Full Blown Addict

Russianhaxor is just getting started

I am disappointed by the lack of pictures in this thread.