Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

HDD's & Other Storage Discuss Hard Drives & Other Types Of Storage Here...

Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough
Default X25-M 2.5" 80GB Help

Just tore down the gamer to make my MIVE for benching, In the process thought I would update firmware and secure erase all my SSD's My OCZ drives poreformed this flawlessly with no issue. However my X25-M updated the firmware just fine and went to secure erase it and got an error that the partition had to be removed, Went into disc manager and removed the partion, then it asked if I wanted to format so I reofrmated and bang, the drive is there in the BOIS but is gone in the OS ....

Thought I would try to install an OS on it thinking it would see the drive and format it in the windows install to no avial, Had to turn on RIAD in BIOS for it to see the drive, Thought finally, now I get this

Setup was unable to create a new systen partion or locat an existing partion. See Setup log files for more information ???

This is an old drive but can't really afford a new SSD right now as I would rather spend my limited budget on Ln2 once I get the bencher rolling

Anyone run into this shit and if so is there a solution or is this drive toasted

Thanks
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

BenchZowner will become famous soon enough

Set the SATA Controller in the BIOS to IDE Mode ( Legacy ).
Try to boot into a linux live cd ( suggestion = Ubuntu 11.10 ) with the only drive connected to your system being the SSD ( and the optical DVD+/-RW drive ofcourse, where would you boot the linux cd from otherwise :p ) and tell me if it sees the SSD, how it sees it ( Unpartitioned space ? RAW filesystem ? not at all ? ( not even as a storage device aka sda ) ?
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Yea I had just the Intel and DVD rom plugged in,

No go IDE Legacy with Windows installer,
The drives shows up in the BIOS but not in the the OS when it is connected with other drives in place

The windowsinstall see's it as unpartitioned space, then when I go to format is when I get the error ???

Tried installing unformated with the same result

I will have to grab Linux and try that .......
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Sounds like your secure erase did not work properly, an SE should delete the MBR making it viewable in windows.

This is pretty common actually, although never seen it happen same board to same board before :S

If running AMD card use partedmagic 5 and unetbootin to make a bootable flash disk (if running nVidia use the latest 7 i guess is fine)

Use the marvell SATA ports NOT the Intel ones, if you MUST use intel (no marvell) set hotswap in BIOS and unplug the drive and pull the SATA cable and plug it back in to unlock it. after you boot parted magic.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Kool, have to head out soon, will give this a go

Thanks
Old 10-30-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

FYI. Looks like Partedmagic changed there site lately :S

http://sourceforge.net/projects/part...o.zip/download

Despite also having USB available the ISO is what you want.

Run unetbootin, click "diskimage" and then point to teh extracted zip folder and select teh ISO image. Select the right USB stick, then click ok. It will finish on its own and say reboot is required (it is not required unless you want to run it immediately on your PC then by all means reboot now, slect USB stick under Harddrive boot order.

Once in its a regular old linux, will update with the steps as I got through them but they are pretty self explanatory, like hit the start button, system tools, erase hard drive, pick drive, check secure erase (last option IIRC), its intel so you might get a second popup saying this drive supports super secure erase click ok, last intel drive I had took 30-45 seconds for a 320 GB... sandforce no matter what size takes 1-2 seconds.

Just went through making a new parted stick as I lost mine. And apparently I was sloppy and a PC I de-virused for a friend infected my HTPC, now I am getting "Microsoft detected Hardrive failure is imminent"

Its actually a rootkit virus pretty yucky but fixable. Going to secure erase the OS drive and some SSDs while I am at it, then devirus the storage drives after I reinstall and secure the OS.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 10-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2011
OCA Gladiator

Drive is working ............

Thanks for the help guys....................