Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » HDD's & Other Storage » Failed Toshiba SSD need to recover baby photos

Notices

HDD's & Other Storage Discuss Hard Drives & Other Types Of Storage Here...

Old 08-20-2013
OCA Gladiator

PhIlLy ChEeSe is on a distinguished road
Default Failed Toshiba SSD need to recover baby photos

As stated I have a Toshiba lappy with a toshiba SSD in side it, my guess is it was dropped but they swear it wasn't and there is no trace of an impact. Regardless the SSD is missing and my friend has her grand daughters photos on it and wants them back.
I tried all i know cant get it to recognize the SSD, I put in a SSD from an Xbox, but still need the photo's....................CRIKETS ANYBODY!!!

I'd be greatly indebted to you!

Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

2chesapeakes is on a distinguished road

Do you have an external dock you can put it in?
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

BenchZowner will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you've got a dead SSD PCB ( something or more than just one things on it are dead ).
Sorry to bring the bad news home, but your only choice is a data recovery corporation with the necessary tools for SSD data recovery.
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chesapeakes View Post
Do you have an external dock you can put it in?

Yes I do,
I found a video on U tube the guy used heat on the main bearing, as I guess they wear out and go bad. Aside from that I'm very open to any and all suggestions, when I heat the bearing I'll assume its all or nothing from that point on...........

Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

Have you tried putting the SSD in the dock to see if it was recognized?
I may be wrong but I don't think there is a main bearing on an SSD. Is this a Hybrid SSD? I have used Gillware.Inc before for data recovery and they were able to get all data off my drive. They were also the most reasonably priced company. Be careful if you go the data recovery rout. I found a lot of people operating out of their home with half baked recovery options based on you tube do it yourself videos.

Last edited by 2chesapeakes; 08-21-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

There's no bearing, no mechanical parts in any non-Hybrid SSD ( Hybrid SSD = a HDD & SSD combo where the SSD acts as a cache ) [ stupid thing anyway ]
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chesapeakes View Post
Have you tried putting the SSD in the dock to see if it was recognized?
I may be wrong but I don't think there is a main bearing on an SSD. Is this a Hybrid SSD? I have used Gillware.Inc before for data recovery and they were able to get all data off my drive. They were also the most reasonably priced company. Be careful if you go the data recovery rout. I found a lot of people operating out of their home with half baked recovery options based on you tube do it yourself videos.

Yeah I tried to dock it, nothing. Even with windows disk and adding drivers it wouldn't pick up. I know there's many scammer's, I'm trying to do it for a friend just for kicks. Your right there is no moving parts in a SSD, not sure what I was thinking!!!!

Here's the video, his seems to work and its the same SSD.

ITs an HDD, so is mine. thought it was a SSD...............Damn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdXQaqNS_k

Last edited by PhIlLy ChEeSe; 08-21-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

that's NOT A SSD man

it's a regular slow 2.5" 5.4kRPM traditional HDD
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhIlLy ChEeSe View Post
Yeah I tried to dock it, nothing. Even with windows disk and adding drivers it wouldn't pick up. I know there's many scammer's, I'm trying to do it for a friend just for kicks. Your right there is no moving parts in a SSD, not sure what I was thinking!!!!

Here's the video, his seems to work and its the same SSD.

ITs an HDD, so is mine. thought it was a SSD...............Damn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdXQaqNS_k
From all the research I did when my drive died it seemed to be a one shot deal at recovering the data. I had all my daughters 1st year pictures on the drive and had just formatted my backup to use on my sons xbox. It was probably the best $800 dollars I ever spent to get the pictures back.

Depending on how much your friend values the pictures of her grand daughter you should use extreme caution in trying any recovery attempt. She may not be a friend for long if you mess with the drive and it becomes unrecoverable. The best part of Gillware is they send a file similar to the windows folder structure of all data they can recover and it is up to you to decide if it is worth the money or not.

The HDD that died on me would instantly cause blue screens and was a known firmware issue with Seagate drives. Unfortunately the free recovery from Seagate was stopped for the drives and they quoted me between $3500 and $4500 for the recovery.
Old 08-21-2013
OCA Gladiator

yeah I know,
I feel pretty confident as it's the same HDD as in his video, but I don't have the pen heater he has. I do have a heat gun, witch spreads the heat out more.
Most likely I'll give her the HDD for safe keeping, if she ever comes into money she can have it recovered. This way, I'm not the bad guy I did get her lappy going with a left over Xbox hard drive I had sitting around. I just don't want to be the one to tell her your picture's are gone..........