Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » CPUs » AMD » 3 CPUs to bench with tonight.

Notices

Old 02-22-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Beat and abused the rig last night... just pulled submissions off I had to disable SMART capability on my raptor to get it to boot LOL

Got one more submission (CPUZ) to get validated (I saved CVF) on it then going to try a low level format see if I can save the raptor.

Only had two tests left to run on it spi32M and PCMark. *sigh

I spent hours trying to grab silver in wPrime 1024 on the 215 despite a 285 MHz CPU deficit. Need to trim another 3 seconds off the time still. Once I get sp32 and pcmark down I will take another run at it.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 02-22-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Just looked up what one of the votlage options actually does after I was playing with it last night

CPUVDDA supplies voltage to the VRMs. (paging DrMOS, DrMOS please come to the nurse's station...)

In the typical leap before you look fashion I was playing with this last night and it seemed to really help stability out, to the point of benching with much much less volts. I have seen people saying on the web that it "increases the voltage you set in BIOS to Vcore", I did not DMM it to find out if this was true.. but going by software readings, quite the opposite was happening (1.5vcore set 1.35 showed in windows)

What I was doing was have CPUVDDA = Vcore+Vcpu-nb

I ended up really being able to drop Vcpu-nb to levels I see the pros running (IE 1.35 or less for 2700+ NB speed) despite running 1600+ 8-8-8 4GB ram.

Old 02-22-2010
OCA Gladiator

thebanik is on a distinguished road

some nice info there Neuro, would be waiting patiently for any updates/tips that you come across with these benches......
EVGA Classified (MSI Pro-E, MSI Eclipse, DFI DK45 T2RS Plus, Foxconn Mars), Core i7 980 (Core i5 680, Core i7 950 Intel E8600, Intel QX9650, Intel Core2 Duo E8400), Thermalright Venomous X(CoolerMaster AquaGate mini R80), GSkill Trident 1600Mhz CL6 (GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz) , MSI GTX 580 (EVGA GTX 295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, Stacker 830 Nvidia Ed., CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion, 1TB + 500 GB + 500GB HDDs
Old 02-22-2010
OCA Gladiator

Yeah.. waitign to hear back from WD about the SMART failure on my rpator. (I was not actively cooling it *yikes* and even after I was the thing is burning up...after a minutes use back in the rig...

contacted them for RMA, we will see whats up. Might break down my nettop I built for resale... and use the 500GB HDD in the interim.. will see in the morning if I feel like doing it. Rainy days and warm weather for the next week :( Does not mean my OC is canceled might make a few MHz difference though not benching at ZeroC

Old 02-28-2010
OCA Gladiator

Well finishing up the 215, when I was supposed to be running the 555BE by now spent a couple hours too many running 32m

Now my Vista/7 are out of activation and I cant "extend" activation because I had to rebuild the boot files last imaging. Sigh.. (should have had a few days left)

Going to start the fresh reinstall this time.. no windows 7 at all this time either. Just FLP and Vista. Hopefully actually get to run the 555BE tomorrow

Have not found anything else really new. Been playing around with copy waza.. I have gave up on the 1800+ file size and decided to go with my maxmem setting and run it CDT (runs it a few times)

Trying to finish up pcmark here with no tweaks so I can get windows reinstalled *sigh

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2010
OCA Gladiator

555BE doing a fresh FLP install now. For giggles I already unlocked it to a quad as well, but for stability I am installing as a dual.

Old 02-28-2010
OCA Gladiator

Wpriming at 4GHz, 1.26vcore (1.275 according to CPUz ) I think I am going to like this chip

Old 03-01-2010
OCA Gladiator

Water cooled... meh, it's a start

Old 03-01-2010
OCA Gladiator

Okay.. playing around with some prime95. Small FFTs and blend tests.

Re-enforced a theory I had. I see posted all over that you need to increase CPU-NB speed to increase stability at higher OCes. This does not seem to be the case. What is important is that you maintain a +50% clockspeed over your RAM. Could not run blend at 4200/2000/2000/1600 7-7-7 but when I dropped to 1333 7-7-7 its as happy as a little girl.

Going to start walking up the HT REF a bit now... and see if I can pull some blend testing at 4.4

More importantly, with this I hope to be breaking that 4.63 GHz CPUz screenie earlier and maybe even push the benches up to 4.6 GHz

Old 03-12-2010
OCA Gladiator

Gah no time to read tthis all to see if I already posted it.

I found out CPUNB = +50% mem speed

I asked Brian about it and all I got was "memset is you friend" (brian has the amd memory record IIRC)

I find out later... AMD support says 3 times cpunb to mem clocks. MEnaing real mem clocks not effective.. IE 1600MHz ram is really 800MHz and need 2400 MHz cpunb....

I hate being right... makes me feel all responsible and stuff.

edit: what does this mean to you the OCer? keep cpunb low and mem clocks low and 4.6GHz is easy

Last edited by Neuromancer; 03-12-2010 at 10:39 PM.