Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Member's Rigs Introductions/Show Us What You Got...

Old 02-08-2013
OCA Gladiator

GFDuke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOM View Post
these seem nice idk wth Static Pressure (mm/H2O): 3.1 mm/H2O means

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181027

I don't need super quiet lol

Naw it needs leds and glitter
those are def. Bling material.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #8: " Small print leads to large risk. "
Old 02-10-2013
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

The Boreas tesing has been completed with mixed results. I has shown it would be worth while endevor supplying temps 15C better than ambient water on a hot running 3770K Ivy Bridge CPU, This thing would be epic on Sandy. As I do not know what the final CPU will be this is a good enough result to move forward. That being said I will be starting the build beging with the cooling sytem.
Old 02-11-2013
OCA Gladiator

Well all pumped up to come home and get started, This is where Epic Fail comes into play, it doesn't fit........ All the measuring and drawing I have done has made no difference.

I need an 1/8" .......... with no way to get it with out chopping into this case, That is not going to happen on this build, This is my own dumb fault, some how I miss typed the dimensions when sending it to case labs... if it was the demension was supposed to send I would have a 1/8" to spare, sometimes an 1/8" is a mile ............

I am completly shocked as you all know what an acomplished typist I ma ????

Anyway On plan B and C already , I will be moving forward under the presumption of Ambient air and 4 quads 2 for the CPU and 2 for the GPU's that should still easily produce a formatable gaming rig

Shhhh.............
Secretly in the lab I will be stripping down the Boreas and working water coupling the blocks to see if I can get a satifactory result that way. mind you I will be loosing the capacity of two blocks and TEC's so temps may be less than stellar to spite a more effective way of removing the heat ....

But you never know unless you try ..............

If it does work fabbing up a rack for them that will easily fit will be a piece of cake
Old 02-11-2013
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Bummer WD, sorry to hear about that

I'm thinking 4 quads should be more than adequate though

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 02-11-2013
OCA Gladiator

DOM is on a distinguished road

So what doesn't fit ? I'm lost lol

So the case was a custom made to your specs ?

Last edited by DOM; 02-11-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2013
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road

Why not take my Silverstone I got from Coolit? It was made for the Boreas and I promise it has all the room for any of your needs.
Old 02-11-2013
OCA Gladiator

Wow, I appreciate that Rick, However I am diggin the new case to spite this set back. I am not out of the game yet and may be able to use it in a different config, if not I will still have it for benching and a future build. With wattage and efficincy at the forfront of CPU and GPU tech the Boreas can only become more relevant as tech gets better.

Thanks Bro ..........
Old 02-12-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

If you water cool those tecs, that would be sweet. use one quad for the tecs. tecs straight to CPU. 2 quads for a GPUs... If you do add a quad for the cool side of the TEC loop, try it with no fans then low speed fans first

There is always the option of insane TEC cooling as well. Say 200w?

It is $45, but bear in mind it needs a power supply/regulator those uh, 24v maxwells (?) that people started using for GPUs a few years back

http://www.newark.com/multicomp/mcte...00w/dp/08P1466

another consideration, getting some 15V units and just running them at 12v (they dont sell 12v)

Costs a bit more, on tec side but you could actually run them off a PSU... 2x15v 130W TECS at 12v = probably close to 200W cooling without needing separate PSU...

Yeah I know it wont look as cool as the Boreas either.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2013
OCA Gladiator

I have Zero experience with TEC's ...........

So the biggest hurdel is learning how they work to be able to impliment action. Right now the plan is to take them off the Boreas, use two of the 4 to cool and the other two disapating the heat off the twoi cooling TEC's ... Just sandwitching them if you will to meet surface requirments, if that makes any scence at all, problem is I will cut my capacity in half and in doing so will the water heat disapation make that much of a difference gain back 100% of the performance as that would be the break even to air coupled, TBH I would be happy with that or a little better. Right now the unit does 15C better than ambient water, not sure if you saw my results table a few pages back, but here it is again if you didn't. Being I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer is there any math that can give me the answers I need based on rad surface, air speed across the rad and pump flow rates based on the output wattage of the TEC's and if so does anyone here know what the formula would look like if I could plug numbers into it ?

One thing is for sure Rich, if it works I will make it look good doing it ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boreas%20Test%20Results.jpg (158.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-12-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

first of all...

dont sink more money into this.

TEC cooling was really popular about a decade ago but was quickly realized to be an inefficient way to subambient cool.

If you are not getting subambient temps with your TECs then you are REALLY inefficiently cooling.

Here is the thing.

A TEC works by adding say 200W of electricity into this device and removing 150W of heat. It does not move it far, just from one side of the TEC to the other. Now after adding all that power to the TEC you still have to cool it.

Historically, a TEC is mounted to a CPU, then a waterblock is mounted to the TEC.

the boreas uses muliple TECs instead ofa single unit for the following reasons.

1) if on TEC fails the others are not affected
2) using multiple units allows one to space out the heat shedding to make a air cooler more efficient than a single 130W load.
3) Smaller TECs tend to be more efficient than larger ones
4) and this is related to 1/2 & 3.. cooling the hot side of the TEC more efficiently leads to better efficiency on the cold side.
5) smaller tecs used to be WAY cheaper than large ones so it was cheaper to run multiple smalls than a single large.

the problem you are having is temp swings. so what you need is a large mass to help maintain temperature levels (just like a LN2 pot or something) So try a copper clug or an alum one.

Realistic Ideas I can think of in your situation. (Honestly I would straight water cool, because hte increased electric cost for running the TECs and NOT getting subambient cooling is not worth it)

a) single high wattage TEC on a large copper slug mounted directly to CPU. Hot side goes to a waterblock and a single quad rad is capable of shedeing 5-600W of heat IIRc.. the lower the laod the more effective, like anything except electricity...

b) build yourself a watercooled boreas. the idea is basically you are removing that giant air cooled part and replacing it with a waterloop. Since I doubt all 4 of those tecs fit on a single waterblock you will probably be left with some kind of aluminum or copper block mounting. to get everything connected.

c) screw it, fuck ivy bridge, go back to SB and get yourself a nice waterblock and run single digit deltas with a single quad rad

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-12-2013 at 12:20 PM.