Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

PSUs Lets Talk Power...

Old 06-28-2009
Champion

Deanzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro64 View Post
You can either jump the green wire to any of the black wires on the second PSU and turn it on manually.... or get something like this...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21193
I've been using the very adapter for over a year now, no issues so far.
Old 06-29-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

That adapteris the same method I used on mine.

Insert wire into top of adapter on both PSUs.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 06-29-2009
Shameful Lurker

tajoh111 is just getting started

What the heck, your running 2 1200w power supplies. If your actually using the load, you might run into circuit problems and trip the circuit breaker in your house.

1200W should be good for quad cpu, 5ghz cpu and a lot of drives, especially a pc power and cooling.
Old 06-29-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Buckeye will become famous soon enough

I think what a lot of the big guy or well known names do at times is use two large PSU's so they can provide as clean as power as they can get. One PSU powers the GPU's and the other for the rest.

I don't really know who that effects things, just something I have seen.

I have often wondered how pieces of equipment handle two different power sources and if they mix well with out any problems.

Example...

A GPU has power coming from PSU #2 through the main power connectors.
It also gets power and signals through the PCIe expansion slot from PSU #1.
How that effects ground and signals I don't really know.
Old 06-29-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Talking to Peter last time he mentioned that some psu's need a balanced load on the rails or it can fail. Suggested putting some load on the other rails as well to avoid problems.
Old 06-29-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Oh yah i forgot about that too. That is probably a bigger problem now than the 3.3/5v rail loads (only need a 1AMP draw on thoses)

Not all PSUs have a problem with the 12v load issues
OW over at jonnyguru brings this up quite often in his reviews. Single rail or split rail psus should not have a problem with this though.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 06-29-2009
OCA Gladiator

2chesapeakes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
What the heck, your running 2 1200w power supplies. If your actually using the load, you might run into circuit problems and trip the circuit breaker in your house.

1200W should be good for quad cpu, 5ghz cpu and a lot of drives, especially a pc power and cooling.
I can handle the house hold electrical issue being a master electrician. I was just curios if it would make a difference on taking some stress off the PSU. The system I would use it on is Classified with the 975 in the 4.8 to 5 Ghz range 2 x 4870x2 OC'd and 4 seagate 120GB drives plus fans. I suppose I could calculate the load to see how close to maxing the PSU out I am.
Old 06-29-2009
Junior Addict

Afterburner is on a distinguished road
Wink

Just wanted to chime in.... I have used all these methods with great success. In the end what you like is what will work.

I favor the connector plug. Cleaner, and easier to trouble shoot....

The real reason I posted in this thread.....

Please keep in mind a few items....
  1. Unless your using the same model PSU and/or it is not modular ignore this.... If not please do not use one modular cord from one PSU with the other. Or any of their adapters for that matter. Sadly I made this mistake and lost a PSU and MOBO in the process.
  2. If your using a MOBO with two 8pin 12volt connections.... Please do not plug one 8pin 12volt connection from each PSU to the one MOBO.. I believe I lost a Classified doing this! According to EVGA techs.... Only use the two NON adapted 8pin 12volt connections from the single PSU that the manufacturer supplied.
  3. I found that running two PSU's while allowing for a much cleaner power foundation for the system, it did push my circuits to the limit. I popped my UPS and breaker a lot.... And I am wired very nicely with serious UPS to boot.... In all reality I even went as far as researching for a 240volt setup to run my main system with.... Never found the right one for my needs though.....

Good luck and have fun!
#1... 800D | x79 DARK | 3930K | 2133 Gskill | 780 ACX CLassified Surround | 3x ASUS VG248QE 144Hz | EVGA Classified SR-2 1200W
Obutto Cockpit

Old 06-29-2009
Shameful Lurker

tajoh111 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chesapeakes View Post
I can handle the house hold electrical issue being a master electrician. I was just curios if it would make a difference on taking some stress off the PSU. The system I would use it on is Classified with the 975 in the 4.8 to 5 Ghz range 2 x 4870x2 OC'd and 4 seagate 120GB drives plus fans. I suppose I could calculate the load to see how close to maxing the PSU out I am.
That PS can definitely handle that load. If this was a HX1000, I would be worried, but the pc power and cooling 100A single rail with a 115A maximum should handle it without problems.

I thought single rail had no balancing issues Kal-el, I can imagine a problem popping up if this was the hx1000, because a heavily overclocked core i7 and a 4870x2 load would have to be on one of the 40A (since it has two rails) rails, but this is a massive 100A rail.

Also this type of power supply I remember doesn't really have any ripple as it is a top quality server power supply.

Also one more thing is i think two 1200 is a bad idea, is because efficiency is going to fall through the roof when this thing is idling(of course the OP likely not one to care for this) when this thing is running at like probably 10-15 percent of the load of the power supply. Thats because most PS are not terribly efficient when they are only using this much of their capacity. The silverstone ST1500 sounds like the perfect power supply for this build and its not nearly as loud as a turbo-cool and for a high power build like this, I think multiple rails are not bad.
Old 06-29-2009
OCA Gladiator

2chesapeakes is on a distinguished road

I understand about the efficiency also the power factor is usually poor on lightly loaded equipment. I run into this alot on large UPS systems. They will generally induce harmonics and the PF and efficiency suck when lightly loaded.
I guess I wil just stick to one PSu for each board. I have a R2E w/965, Classified w/ 975, and REX with QX9650 or E8600 or E8500. Looks like I need another PSU for the 3rd set up.