Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Overclocking Section » General Overclocking Talk » Shold i shell out the extra dough for the warranty

Notices

General Overclocking Talk General Talk...

Old 11-04-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

lesstutrey is just getting started

I say i should hunt down a gulftown, but it almost feels like i'm pretty much all the way to a good SB setup for good ram and a gulftown xtreme. Every 3d bench would be owned by the sandy, right? And even 2d is gonna end up better on a SB setup, unless i had some absurdly good gulftown, correct? But of course all that is gonna change with the new SBe.

Lets put it simple
If you were in my shoes, you have everything for SS and LN2, you have a good bloomfield already with little benching, (same batch chip CBB at like -115c if that really even means anything) and finally a board that lets you get to the chips potential, and have the money to spend on a gulftown (990 or 980.. or xeon equivs) and some gtx doms that will run cas 7 and it will cost ballpark 800$. What direction would you go with that money? And of course i know new stuff from intel about to drop so there is always the dreaded, waiting a few months and benching the tons of other, cheaper CPUs, and of course the bloomfield, step up from the q6600 everything else was submitted with.
Old 11-06-2011
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking Cas7 doms and a 980x would cost ya a little more than $800 Bro

but good luck

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-06-2011
OCA Gladiator

GFDuke is on a distinguished road

Armaflex is a good insulation but a real Pain in the ass to get off. Try and find some Frost King like MaadDaawg says.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #8: " Small print leads to large risk. "
Old 11-06-2011
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Home Depot

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-06-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

I meant sheets of armaflex, not armaflex tape. yeah, i'm not going the gulftown route. i always want an xtreme chip, but never get one. SBe sounds really boring to overclock. I fired up my under-the-ice SS, with the SC18CLX danfoss and the big old copeland that he made a few of and it went to -50c in a minute or two. Hadn't done that in a while, so was a little worried, but now i am not. So then i was like heck, why not fire up the other SC18CLX chilly1 based one with different condensers. It's in pieces because it used to have a case, whatever, i'm gonna clean up the wiring. flip the switch... nada. Two butt splices have come apart, one that interupted the hotline to the switch for turning it on.. the other was something else. haven't got around to resplicing them (solder+wire nut+electrical tape, no buttsplice crap). Hopefully once i reconnect the two wires it will kick right on and pull -45 or so.. because that's all it can do with the condenser it has (really wanna cannibalize it into a dual stage, use the condenser as a desuperheater, SC18CLX makes a solid first stage too.. but then i need ton of other hardware, oil seperator, hx of some kind (plate or tube in tube, ideally plate) 2nd compressor and condensor, and i'd want a hot bypass so i could work on buggy chips... i do love phase.. but adding a 2nd stage will definitely cost more than building a single stage.
Old 11-06-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

I meant sheets of armaflex, not armaflex tape. yeah, i'm not going the gulftown route. i always want an xtreme chip, but never get one. SBe sounds really boring to overclock. I fired up my under-the-ice SS, with the SC18CLX danfoss and the big old copeland that he made a few of and it went to -50c in a minute or two. Hadn't done that in a while, so was a little worried, but now i am not. So then i was like heck, why not fire up the other SC18CLX chilly1 based one with different condensers. It's in pieces because it used to have a case, whatever, i'm gonna clean up the wiring. flip the switch... nada. Two butt splices have come apart, one that interupted the hotline to the switch for turning it on.. the other was something else. haven't got around to resplicing them (solder+wire nut+electrical tape, no buttsplice crap). Hopefully once i reconnect the two wires it will kick right on and pull -45 or so.. because that's all it can do with the condenser it has (really wanna cannibalize it into a dual stage, use the condenser as a desuperheater, SC18CLX makes a solid first stage too.. but then i need ton of other hardware, oil seperator, hx of some kind (plate or tube in tube, ideally plate) 2nd compressor and condensor, and i'd want a hot bypass so i could work on buggy chips... i do love phase.. but adding a 2nd stage will definitely cost more than building a single stage.
Old 11-08-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

Well, the seller went to boot the x58a-oc and it wouldn't post, so i got a refund. Guess i dodged a bullet there. It's making amazon's 300$ for x58a-oc with 50$ mir very, very temping. Could get a 760 classi that did 238 in non-slow mode... but then.. i have this potential bullet and no warranty, though i know a few guys at evga