Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » DICE & LN2 Cooling » Kingpin Gemini Pot, black anodization + mapp gas = toxic fume

Notices

DICE & LN2 Cooling If You Have A Pot...

Old 11-25-2010
OCA VIP

k|ngp|n is just getting started

Man I don't know what your experiencing there honda. I have never seen anything like that or know anyone out of all the guys with the new units to see anything like that. I torch THE HELL out of my cpu and gpu units with black tops (multiple times daily lately) Never seen anything like this mang. I think you were burning off some other contaminent that got inside the container or something. You guys should eb careful with mapp gas in general, especially in smaller enclosed areas with poor ventilation as the gas itself is toxic.
On a side note, the walls of the container should never really get hot from torching while benching at all. Torching is typically done at subzero container temps., I don't get that.. are you torching the walls of the container at room temps or something just sitting there holding a mapp torch on it to see what happens when it gets red hot or something?

Last edited by k|ngp|n; 11-25-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2010
Beyond Help

Hondacity will become famous soon enough

it happened while we were benching celerons....no cb on the p53e ...

we had cbb @ -120c or something...

weird i had a dream today...that you were offereing accessories..like the alu part of the gemini...lol

we benched teh pot again... we didn't have fumes(most of the black stuff was gone)..but i think we've done enough damage...to ourselves lmao...

as for torching..we made sure the air intake of the torch has all the air it can get..while torching... im pretty sure we hit the base...even if we hit the base the side walls were getting pretty damn hot...

im just watching out for everybody......
Old 11-25-2010
Shameful Lurker

Gautam is just getting started

I'm confused as to how your walls were that insanely hot during full pot benching. The walls shouldn't even be anywhere near ambient, let alone 3500F :S
Old 11-25-2010
Beyond Help

its a semi closed container..heat transfer to the base...and the other heat will go out ...and of course the walls will get heated up to.
Old 11-25-2010
Lets Shake Things Up!!!

OC Maximus is on a distinguished road

Just call it P.F.M.

OCM

Old 01-09-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

Bobnova is just getting started

Based on how anodizing works and the pot design, I'd say you had poor heat (cold) transfer from the walls to the base and the walls got rather warm.
Anodizing is a layer of aluminum oxide that gets dyed the color you want it. What point the dye boils/burns at is specific to the die.
I suspect that the walls were getting very hot and the base (where all the cold is) didn't have enough heat transfer to the walls to keep them cool, being as it is a separate part held on with the pot mounting.

Personally I'd use good old propane. Far less toxic.
Old 01-09-2011
Beyond Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
Based on how anodizing works and the pot design, I'd say you had poor heat (cold) transfer from the walls to the base and the walls got rather warm.
Anodizing is a layer of aluminum oxide that gets dyed the color you want it. What point the dye boils/burns at is specific to the die.
I suspect that the walls were getting very hot and the base (where all the cold is) didn't have enough heat transfer to the walls to keep them cool, being as it is a separate part held on with the pot mounting.

Personally I'd use good old propane. Far less toxic.
1. i heat the base not the walls..
2. i'll stick with mapp gas it heats up the base alot faster and i don't have any more anodization anyways.
Old 09-15-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

lesstutrey is just getting started

I can see mapp gas burning the metals in an anodized layer and creating an interesting color flame. Heck, have you ever stuck copper or brass or aluminum even in a bonfire? You get some unusual colored flames (green is the one i see most). Burning metal salts is how fireworks work after all, and some used in the anodizing process are the same ones being burnt in fireworks. Heat that stuff up and it makes perfect sense this could happen, and probably ain't that great to breat.

I mean absolutely no offense by this but shouldn't the room and workspace be ventilated enough that anything like that would leave the area before causing any harm? Not quite the same reason you vent for the nitrogen gas, but the nitrogen alone is reason you should be ventilating well. If others haven't experienced perhaps they actually did have better ventilation, didn't notice it due to the fan configurations they had going, even just around the board, and it didn't cause any problems. I see anodizing the metal as pointless and purely aesthetic but maybe I'm wrong. But i'll shutup as i have a very expensive pot that has never been used, though i did take a torch to it once just to prove to myself i could do it to such a beautiful object.

Last edited by lesstutrey; 09-15-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2011
Beyond Help

Splave will become famous soon enough

its okay, just so happens the person that started this thread went full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
when those trolls start making love your VGA has no chance!