Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » DICE & LN2 Cooling » LN2 by Christmas...mark my words!

Notices

DICE & LN2 Cooling If You Have A Pot...

Old 12-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

ny_driver is just getting started
Default LN2 by Christmas...mark my words!

What do you folks think about pouring LN2 outdoors in sub-zero temps.? I want to be able to crank the voltage through my memory, chipset, and everything and have it all stay nice and cool.

The purpose of all the fans is what exactly? I am all ears to all advice and teachings here. I want everything to go smoothly and I want to get a couple more WR....

I want to take out knopflerbruce at least once. I'm sick of seeing his name at the top of all the lists I am on.

Thanks ahead for the help guys.

For the record I have the F1EE, a torch(what kind of gas do I need again?), and a ceramic carafe to pour from. I have no idea how to go about it though.

Will these 939 chips even handle the cold......knopflerbruce and others used LN2 on them.

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Coming Soon: a CPU...hopefully a 7GHz 990x ES
Old 12-11-2010
Beyond Help

Hondacity will become famous soon enough

woot1
Old 12-11-2010
Beyond Help

Splave will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_driver View Post
What do you folks think about pouring LN2 outdoors in sub-zero temps.? I want to be able to crank the voltage through my memory, chipset, and everything and have it all stay nice and cool.

The purpose of all the fans is what exactly? I am all ears to all advice and teachings here. I want everything to go smoothly and I want to get a couple more WR....

I want to take out knopflerbruce at least once. I'm sick of seeing his name at the top of all the lists I am on.

Thanks ahead for the help guys.

For the record I have the F1EE, a torch(what kind of gas do I need again?), and a ceramic carafe to pour from. I have no idea how to go about it though.

Will these 939 chips even handle the cold......knopflerbruce and others used LN2 on them.
it only helps the colder you are ambient imo

I bench ln2 in my garage with the door open and its 25F out. Only thing is monitor leaves a bit of a trail behind my mouse

idk about 939 but on am2 my 7750 BE CB was -15c rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
when those trolls start making love your VGA has no chance!
Old 12-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

GFDuke is on a distinguished road

You can use propane gas or Mapp gas for your torch. Mapp is hotter and makes a faster warm up form cold bugging. IDK about the ceramic carafe. I'd try and find a Stainless Steel one. Depends on the type of ceramic i guess. Some fans you see people use are for cooling things like mosfets or vregs on video cards or ram. Other fans you see are usually to keep the LN2 vapor from forming condensation. Usually when you pour LN2 if you don't have a fan sucking the vapor away from the board the vapor will fall on to the board or come out of the pot and just fall because it is heavier than air. That vapor is a condensation cloud. Cold air meeting warm air.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #8: " Small print leads to large risk. "

Last edited by GFDuke; 12-11-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

Nice explanation!
The carafe is plastic on the outside and like shiny silver thermos ceramic inside. It's from my last coffee pot.

So if outside, I probably don't need to worry too much about fans for cooling motherboard components....just mostly to blow/suck the vapor away.

Now I can plan the setup....since I didn't go to PO today and my new motherboard came in a day early. Who woulda thunk it...I bought it Thursday from a guy in Illinois.

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Old 12-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

GFDuke is on a distinguished road

I'm just worried about the glass inside breaking. I hope it can handle the temps.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #8: " Small print leads to large risk. "
Old 12-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

Probably to be safe I should get a stainless one.......Maybe someone who has used a glass/ceramic thermos will chime in..........

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT
Old 12-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_driver View Post
Nice explanation!
The carafe is plastic on the outside and like shiny silver thermos ceramic inside. It's from my last coffee pot.

So if outside, I probably don't need to worry too much about fans for cooling motherboard components....just mostly to blow/suck the vapor away.

Now I can plan the setup....since I didn't go to PO today and my new motherboard came in a day early. Who woulda thunk it...I bought it Thursday from a guy in Illinois.
Cheap crappy thermos style puring devices will evaporate your LN2 and frost up on the outside.

Colder ambients = less moisture in air = less condensate on board.

Fans hanging off the pot do both as der Dukemeister said already.

NOTE though. Fans can cool or warm devices depending on ambient. I prefer winter benching. Everything stays pretty frost free despite the 50-60C Delta (with DIce) with LN2.. you will get frost regardless but it will be a lot less I would assume (I LN2ed during the summer so...) I had more frost on my black and decker coffee cup (pour device) than my setup.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 12-12-2010
OCA Gladiator

DOM is on a distinguished road

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aladdin-2-...Steel/14968008

mine was like 15 bucks

Old 12-22-2010
OCA Gladiator

Tonight's the night. Going to get either 30 or 60 liters. I'll probably get 30 and see if that's enough to bench all my cpus tonight. Maybe get another 30 tomorrow if necessary to do my AM3 chips.

Please stay tuned for questions. I'll be back in a few hours.

New Ride:
Rampage 3 Extreme
3x2GB cas7 DomGT