Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » DICE & LN2 Cooling » Bulldozer overclocking no longer a doubt

Notices

DICE & LN2 Cooling If You Have A Pot...

Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

one of these days...........

first to 1Ghz and you remeber the Athy 64 ......... They pwnd Intel

I have to say............. they are over due,

I think many have writen them off but it only take one good idea to capture the crown................

I am pulling for them and curious of this gens FX chips preformance

We know now if retail is as good as these ES chips they will have some serious clocks..........
Old 09-13-2011
Classicplatforms Warrior

Mr.Scott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
what good is all of that speed if the 8 core CPU does not but maybe come close to an i5 with half the cores in performance?
I was just wondering where you got this from, or whether you just pulled it out your ass is all. I guess I'll have to just wait.
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Its okay Shannon AMD bashing is allowed, we aint some Nazi site. I am a HUGE AMD proponent though so if I get fiesty and rip your asshole, just tell me to calm down

lol

I do agree with the per clock comments in all honesty, Intel excels at 16bit instructions, AMD cant match it. Superpi, pifast, Wprime, even some "modern" benchmarks still use 16bit instructions. But SOOO many apps people use are still old code.

Intel has absorbed the same thing that AMD has known for a while.. GPU processing make CPU better. problem is, gpu processing still sucks by and large. Except in specific tasks can parallel processing be used. there is a reason CPUs and different than GPUs. GPUs suck at doing multiple things. Whats the new word for it? Out of Order processing?

AMD makes a damn fine setup for your money. Gotta remember that except for some flagship stuff and some overpriced stuff, you can get a pretty feature packed motherboard for about half what the intel version costs. Oh, and you got SLI licensing on AMD now too.. so that argument is out hte window.

AVX is meh... At 1080p to 720P AVX was 20% faster than CPU only handbrake encoding. Of course handbrake made a file half the size. When it came to 1080P to Ipod, handbrake was 20% faster and was 20% larger filesize.

FYI: The thuban 6 core is slower than a 2600K in many multi threaded tests. Still faster than a 2500K.

I am cool with the "Intel has more performance" crown based on HWbot benchmarks. Course they are old. Some a decade so. Realworld tests are far different. Some show an Intel lead. (differnce of 100-120FPS in some games at 10 year old resolutions like 1024-768)

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 09-13-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

punx223 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
I was just wondering where you got this from, or whether you just pulled it out your ass is all. I guess I'll have to just wait.
nah not outta my ass at all tbh. but info will be out soon bro.

I dont deal in speculation.... hell the 8 chips they had to clock were binned before the event..

the ones they had otherwise were running air at 4.8GHz and water/ss at 5GHz+

thats all public info.

however the benchmark info, I wish was FUD cause then I would have alot more to hope for but then again you never know the respin or next version of these FX chips could be killers.... hell Ive been waiting since my last FX chip for AMD to be on top again..... if theres competition at the top its only good for us man...

no disrespect intended and not trying to derail thread or piss off AMD lyal as they are good chips but noit what I was hoping for. hell 8 cores running kinda equivelant to 4.... in some cases in nehalem range but it varied from bench to bench tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
You mean you don't have one of the uber secret 6.6GHz Gulftown pots?
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Its okay Shannon AMD bashing is allowed, we aint some Nazi site. I am a HUGE AMD proponent though so if I get fiesty and rip your asshole, just tell me to calm down

lol

I do agree with the per clock comments in all honesty, Intel excels at 16bit instructions, AMD cant match it. Superpi, pifast, Wprime, even some "modern" benchmarks still use 16bit instructions. But SOOO many apps people use are still old code.

Intel has absorbed the same thing that AMD has known for a while.. GPU processing make CPU better. problem is, gpu processing still sucks by and large. Except in specific tasks can parallel processing be used. there is a reason CPUs and different than GPUs. GPUs suck at doing multiple things. Whats the new word for it? Out of Order processing?

AMD makes a damn fine setup for your money. Gotta remember that except for some flagship stuff and some overpriced stuff, you can get a pretty feature packed motherboard for about half what the intel version costs. Oh, and you got SLI licensing on AMD now too.. so that argument is out hte window.

FYI.. AVX is meh... At 1080p to 720P AVX was 20% faster than CPU only handbrake encoding. Of course handbrake made a file half the size. When it came to 1080P to Ipod, handbrake was 20% faster and was 20% larger filesize. Hmmm

FYI: The thuban 6 core is slower than a 2600K in many multi threaded tests. Still faster than a 2500K.
Thanks dude,

And like I said I have always felt that in gaming for some reason AMD has always been smoother... but then again we are on Overclockaholics here, and honestly we overclock and run benchmarks... (recently I tend to game alot too) but all in all I was hoping for something taht would match or possibly beat at least what was out now especially being 8 physical cores instead of 4 hyperthreaded ones.

hell I was a HUGE AMd porponent when I had my older FX chips but after trhat they kinda faded in my eyes as efficiency gre with intel and AMD for some reason didnt follow suit...

btw LOL @ the GPU out of order processing :p

Quote:
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

I do not consider the new "8 core" cpus to be true 8 cores since they share resources with another core. Its more like super hyper-threading. But get poopooed when I bring that up

FYI: I got new love for AMD after playing with a thuban and a 990FX setup. ohh. that reminds me gotta see if I can pull 16'20 on the Sabretooth. Ud5 is a solid clocker man, bred for clocking, and demands to be frozen, unfortunately gigabyte forgot their roots and priced it like it was a full featured ASUS board. (It has no features, no accessories, but a hell of a power train and cost 2 bills)

Ohh and the UD7 apparently uses the same VRM controller which from google, some chinese dude says is a 10phase controller. As far as I can tell based on intersil spec sheets (no infor on actual chip) is a 6 phases paralell controller, 4 for the 8 cpu phases, 1 for the 2 NB phases and 1 for I forget lol... memory I guess, thats always my failing )

ISL6330 GCRZ

Last edited by Neuromancer; 09-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I do not consider the new "8 core" cpus to be true 8 cores since they share resources with another core. Its more like super hyper-threading. But get poopooed when I bring that up

FYI: I got new love for AMD after playing with a thuban and a 990FX setup. ohh. that reminds me gotta see if I can pull 16'20 on the Sabretooth. Ud5 is a solid clocker man, bred for clocking, and demands to be frozen, unfortunately gigabyte forgot their roots and priced it like it was a full featured ASUS board. (It has no features, no accessories, but a hell of a power train and cost 2 bills)

Ohh and the UD7 apparently uses the same VRM controller which from google, some chinese dude says is a 10phase controller. As far as I can tell based on intersil spec sheets (no infor on actual chip) is a 6 phases paralell controller, 4 for the 8 cpu phases, 1 for the 2 NB phases and 1 for I forget lol... memory I guess, thats always my failing )

ISL6330 GCRZ

Sounds killer lets see what you can do on that thing man.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

I will be lucky enough to afford one of the cheap quads that is locked. Or was that intel?

Most DDR3 boards seem to hit a 310 ish HTREF wall, even under extreme conditions. So no records from me, hell i do not have the time to bench what I got in front of me :( I should be kicked off the team.

ud5 hit 311 on air, went for 315 and crashed. Sold it already though as I needed smoke money.

Old 09-13-2011
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

Might be slower than Intel in many of benches but something about 8ghz sounds like fun to me.
Old 09-13-2011
OCA Gladiator

Leave 10 year old benches to Intel

Leave modern benches to 8 Ghz 8 cores w00t w00t