Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » CPUs » AMD » 550BE or 555BE

Notices

Old 02-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here
Default 550BE or 555BE

550 has more boints available right now... 555 seems to clock better

Ordering tonight so unless SOE is declared I will have the chip in hand firday late afternoon.

Was thinking about trying to get some LN2... but with all the snow we are getting that might not be possible (we'll see though)

Thinking just get the 550 since it has more potential boints in it than the new C3 chip yes?

Or spend the extra 60 (+tax) and just get a more bointable 955...

Ordering from newegg as ups ground is next day delivery for me 90% of the time

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-24-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2010
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

Looking at the bot I would go with the 550 for the boints. 555 might clock higher but you'll feel robbed when it doesn't net you many points.

Last edited by DrNip; 02-24-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNip View Post
Looking at the bot I would go with the 550 for the boints. 555 might clock higher but you'll feel robbed when it doesn't net you many points.
Yeah I was thinking that myself.... the 555 is the better chip.. and only cost a $1 more... but the bointing... thats why I am getting it *sigh

I guess I can sell the 550 and go 555 if the boints pick up. Once I get LN2 all setup im doing nothing but Blackedition processors on this board (assuming it can handle a high chill water clock )

Old 02-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

Assassin48 is just getting started

I would start with the 555 then sell it for a 550

the 555 will have better resale value then the 550
Old 02-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

Thats true

Plus I just saw this

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1865163

$70 at frys...

(OOS online, but we do have some cali members...)

Old 02-24-2010
OCA Gladiator

Thanks Juan. I ordered the 555BE C3... also have a 955 C2 inbound and a post on OCF looking for the other 3 BE chips

w00t! UPS 3 day sleect I hope works as well as UPS ground does... I wont be happy if I dont get this till next week :(

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-24-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2010
OCA Gladiator

555BE in the hizouse!!!

Gotta move some stuff around in this room, I might be getting a bed finally... then I want to try out this cheap biostar board for HTREF clocking... but then... I am dropping the 555BE (will try unlocking of course for tricks) into the ASUS CHIII Formula, and going some chill water.

Going to have to run the rad fanless now as the snow is still blowing around... but hopefully it should stop by the time it gets really cold and I can muster the power of subZero are running at 4x 3000RPMs through a 480 GTX RAD

No worries about condensation either oddly enough... too dry in the house I guess or not enough delta to reach a dew point?

Old 02-26-2010
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Sweetness!
Old 02-26-2010
OCA Gladiator

Moving took a little longer than I thought. Be surprised how muc space a pile of linen takes up in a small room. Got one wall worked and the rad tucked out the other window. (that system is setup for BE clocking... soon to be X58...). Will work on testing the Biostar board before I start BE testing though. Should be fun. Only doing sempie testing though since I dont feel like making mosfet coolers for the 95W mobo. At 20W idle/load delta on the 140.. I think even 4+ ghz will be fine with just a fan on the naked fets

Oh man I think I like this chip.

wPriming at 4.4 GHz 1.44 vcore

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-28-2010 at 09:32 PM.