Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Overclocking Section » General Overclocking Talk » Shold i shell out the extra dough for the warranty

Notices

General Overclocking Talk General Talk...

Old 11-01-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

lesstutrey is just getting started
Default Shold i shell out the extra dough for the warranty

Should i just buy a used x58 board on the cheap, or get like a ga-x58a-oc for 250$ after MIR. I ask this because i'm gonna bench with it, and i'll probably end up using ln2 on it, for sure it will be seeing my single stage again, and i have worries about my insulation ability (did fine with -50, -196 i am not so sure about). Go cheap and just be really anal in my eraser application and risk killing one to save a few bucks or spend a bit more and have some sort of peace of mind. Thoughts, anyone? So far i think i've done everything right in getting ready for ln2, got a commando cheap that wasn't nearly the investment, and some chips from a couple guys around here that have proven these cpus (Patch and Splave, ty) and a few d9 kits, and obviously after doing some frequency benching i'll want to do some benchmark benching, i know there is fun in pursuing 7ghz+, but gotta have it at least somewhat stable sometime, right? So i'll be needing a decent x58 setup, waiting for ivy in the mean time, and i already have a proven chip (well, don't know if it scales, but i maxed my board before the chip on 1.45v and SS cooling). I would just mod the bloodrage gti but i'm scared to do that, those things are tiny compared to commando mod. And i'd go SD-E, but i already have a 1366 chip that i spent way too much on about 1 1/2 years ago

Last edited by lesstutrey; 11-01-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2011
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

don't know what to tell you.

I've bought used equip (and even 1 used mobo) that I've never had a problem with. I've bought some used gear that I had a problem with but no problem doing an RMA and having it repaired for free.

I've sold several mobos and no one had problems with them.

I've never dealt with GA RMA, but both EVGA and ASUS are relatively painless.

Personally, I'd buy the new board cause I like having the warranty, but if the money is too much the used board should do the trick

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-02-2011
OCA Gladiator Retired Legend

Patch is on a distinguished road

You want a good clocking board if you're going through the expense and effort of LN2.

If you can get a new x58 OC for $250 - do that. You'll probably have to pay at least that much for a used one or a used R3E anyway.

If you already have a bloodrage gti and weren't planning on selling it to fund the next mobo, then mod it. That won't cost you anything.

It exists!
Old 11-02-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

Well, one of the members of this community was kind enough to offer me a pretty killer deal on X58A-OC that is all lubed for subzero (maybe that gives away who it is, not sure) with full retail box and all. My bench table is also really good for insulating the back of motherboards as i know this is an issue. I have small standoffs screwed into each other in pairs, and then a layer of armflex that is about 1/8" thicker than the standoffs, little bit more with a layer of shop towel on top of that, so the back is quite well insulated. Only risky point is the back of the socket, so i gotta do the socket area well. I have to cut away the armaflex under the socket so the backplates have place to exist, that's where the 8x8 patch of eraser goes, and of course the armaflex between plate and board. I think i got it insulated well enough that i won't kill it. The price for the added peace of mind of 3 year warranty is feeling like best buy right now, not worth how much i'm saving (70$) and no waiting on a 50$ MIR.
Old 11-02-2011
Beyond Help

If I read you correctly you have the mobo sitting on the shop towel with the armaflex underneith? If I read that right, I'd suggest you remove the shop towel from under the mobo just to play safe. If you eraser the back of the socket that should be enough to let it sit on the insulation. Probably would never happen, but if the shop towel got wet, it could short the board, so why take the chance.

Depending on how the board was waterproofed, it may or may not be possible to RMA it. Don't know who you bought it from, but I think everyone here is reliable.

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-02-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

You definitely have a point about the shop towel that i never really thought about. Guess i will ditch that, it does seem like it could really only harm things if i were having an issue with condensation (never did with single stage phase, more than likely will with colder things..) and yeah, something says running it through the dishwasher to clean this board off is gonna take the serial sticker off of it and void the warranty for sure (i guess i could try and protect that, though unsure how i'd do that). Now to hunt down a decent gulftown for a decent price..
Old 11-02-2011
Beyond Help

I buy the BIG roll of Frost King and use 3 or 4 layers of that for the bottom insulation. Kind of a pita removing all the aluminum, but works out very nicely.

Never washed a mobo but I hear it works great - probably need to take the sticker off first and then stick it back on.

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-02-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

i can't believe it took me this long to realize i spelled should without a u. go me.
Old 11-02-2011
Lets Shake Things Up!!!

OC Maximus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstutrey View Post
i can't believe it took me this long to realize i spelled should without a u. go me.

Old 11-03-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaadDaawg View Post
I buy the BIG roll of Frost King and use 3 or 4 layers of that for the bottom insulation. Kind of a pita removing all the aluminum, but works out very nicely.

Never washed a mobo but I hear it works great - probably need to take the sticker off first and then stick it back on.
With my current method the board is tight enough on the armaflex that i have a different peice for each board, because it puts such deep impressions in, i think it's probably as good as frostkinging the back. And that was through a layer of blue shop towel. This all reminding me i need to buy some 3/8th's armaflex.