Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » GPUs » General GPU » ATI BIOS FLASHING Guide

Notices

Old 06-01-2009
OCA Gladiator

Jeffro64 is just getting started

Got it figured out.... My ASUS board didn't like the USB thumb drive I was using. I switched to another and it worked just fine.

As for flashing the cards well that's another story.... thought I had bricked them both LOL. I did one before noticing that this thread was for a 4870... not a 4870 x2, so needless to say it didn't work. So I got the other card out and was going to put the stock bios's back on the other card which was now put in the second PCIe slot... All went well so I thought. Now I discovered that neither card was working!

Long story short... when I had both cards hooked up, ATIFlash put the second card as 0 and 1... the first card was 2 and 3, so everything was ass backwards and not only the cards but master and slave. So after pulling my hair out and going to Fry's to get a PCI card... then figuring out how everything was ass backwards I now have both cards back to stock up and running fine.

I will attemp it again but not tonight and hope all goes well now that I know a little more about this LOL. Oh... And yes I now have the 4870 x2 master and slave bios's thanks to Frank pointing me in the right direction.

Main Rig
---------------------------

Case - Cooler Master Cosmos S
Mobo - EVGA 790i FTW Digital DZ13 Bios
CPU - Intel QX9770 3.2GHZ OC'd to 4.27ghz
CPU Cooler - Coolit Systems Domino A.L.C.
Ram - 4gig Patriot Viper Extreme - (8-8-8-20-2T)1800MHZ
GPU - 3 EVGA GTX280 Tri-SLI OC'd @ 685/1370/1302
PSU - Corsair HX1000 1000W
HDD's - Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200rpm 32MB SATA/300
DVD - LG 22X GH22LS30
OS - Vista Ultimate 64bit

Last edited by Jeffro64; 06-01-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2009
Asus Republic of Gamers

V2-V3 is on a distinguished road
Default Jeffro!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro64 View Post
Got it figured out.... My ASUS board didn't like the USB thumb drive I was using. I switched to another and it worked just fine.

As for flashing the cards well that's another story.... thought I had bricked them both LOL. I did one before noticing that this thread was for a 4870... not a 4870 x2, so needless to say it didn't work. So I got the other card out and was going to put the stock bios's back on the other card which was now put in the second PCIe slot... All went well so I thought. Now I discovered that neither card was working!

Long story short... when I had both cards hooked up, ATIFlash put the second card as 0 and 1... the first card was 2 and 3, so everything was ass backwards and not only the cards but master and slave. So after pulling my hair out and going to Fry's to get a PCI card... then figuring out how everything was ass backwards I now have both cards back to stock up and running fine.

I will attemp it again but not tonight and hope all goes well now that I know a little more about this LOL. Oh... And yes I now have the 4870 x2 master and slave bios's thanks to Frank pointing me in the right direction.

Jeffro,

I am very sorry i did not find your post sooner!

yes the bios in this guide is not for the 4870x2 it is only for the single GPU 4870 512MB version

you are correct, the 4870x2 has 2 BIOS chips, one Master and one Slave and they are not interchangeable!!!

and you need to know the device location on the PCI bus each bios has a unique location and if you have more than one video card.
usually if you have 2 4870x2's your locations would look like this:

(PCIE slot 1: Physical video card) Primary GPU: Master BIOS Device 0 Slave BIOS Device 1

(PCIE slot 3: Physical video card) Secondary GPU: Master BIOS Device 2 Slave BIOS Device 3

the ASUS TOP BIOS for the 4870x2 allows for 900MHz Core and 1100MHz GDDR clock frequency limits in Catalyst Control Center Overdrive Overclocking.

the Default ASUS TOP 4870x2 Clocks are 790MHz Core and 915MHz RAM

The GPU Core voltage is also higher in the top so once you flash to top you can usually get much better clocks on any cooling.

also the Memory timings are more loose with the ASUS TOP BIOS and allow for higer stable frequencies on the GDDR5 memory modules.

I will post a 4870x2 BIOS Flashing guide to assist you!

Last edited by V2-V3; 06-01-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2009
OCA Gladiator

Not a problem LOL... I had seen that this was just for the 4870 at first but got side tracked some how between the first time I read this thread and when I actually attempted this. Plus it was just me getting in a hurry yesterday LOL.

When I messed up the first card... I had put it in the slot 3 PCIe and thats how I flashed it back was device 2 & 3, but for some reason it messed up the card in PCIe slot 1 in the process. Anyway, I see the new 4870 x2 guide thread and will attemp it again hopefully with better results. Thanks for posting the new guide, i'll be looking for it!

Main Rig

DVD - LG 22X GH22LS30

Last edited by Jeffro64; 06-01-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2009
Asus Republic of Gamers

V2-V3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not a problem LOL... I had seen that this was just for the 4870 at first but got side tracked some how between the first time I read this thread and when I actually attempted this. Plus it was just me getting in a hurry yesterday LOL.

When I messed up the first card... I had put it in the slot 3 PCIe and thats how I flashed it back was device 2 & 3, but for some reason it messed up the card in PCIe slot 1 in the process. Anyway, I see the new 4870 x2 guide thread and will attemp it again hopefully with better results. Thanks for posting the new guide, i'll be looking for it!
ill get the guide posted and completed by the end of the week, keep your eyes out! once u get some free time it will be there ASAP
Old 06-02-2009
OCA Gladiator

Kewl thanks man!

It's weird though... when I enter the ATIFLASH -i command to see all that info my slaves are where the masters should be and my masters are in the slaves place. Same with the card locations... they are reversed. That's how I fubared my second card yesterday, because I went to flash the bios 2 & 3 and it did the card in PCIE slot 1.

Anyway.... once I had them both fixed and working again it was a good learning experience. I was glad to see that first card show video again and I had to use it to get the second card working because for some odd reason the PCI card wouldn't show video to fix the second card. But atleast the next attemp I won't be going in without knowing a little more about how it works.

Main Rig

DVD - LG 22X GH22LS30
Old 06-02-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Jeff, I reckon ur gonna fast become our other resident Bios Flash Guru. Maybe u can throw up a detailed guide later for the rest of us noobs
Old 06-02-2009
Full Blown Addict

hellcamino is on a distinguished road

That particualr booboo where the primary/secondary slots get switched around seems to be a common Asus bug, my P5Q Deluxe did that until the most recent bios update.

HOWEVER...I was WELL aware of this as I was testing my hardware PRIOR to flashing it and had previously noted that the cards were ass backwards as soon as I added the second one.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 06-03-2009
OCA Gladiator

Thats right... you were telling me about that bug. Note to self.... Remember to update bios to that new release.

Supes... Not sure i'll be any kind of guru anytime soon, but i'm learning a lot of things along the way thats for sure!

Main Rig

DVD - LG 22X GH22LS30
Old 06-03-2009
Full Blown Addict

hellcamino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thats right... you were telling me about that bug. Note to self.... Remember to update bios to that new release.

Supes... Not sure i'll be any kind of guru anytime soon, but i'm learning a lot of things along the way thats for sure!
Learning things the hard way isn't so bad as long as you learn the first time.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!