Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » CPUs » Intel » Heatsink/Mem recomendation

Notices

Old 08-19-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here
Default Heatsink/Mem recomendation

Getting an MSI X58 Platinum board (uber cheap) (friday)

Getting a 920 D0 from microcenter (also uber cheap) (soon)

Not going to give up my tuniq on my AMD setup for this, so need a heatsink that performs very well for i7.

Nothing too crazy priced. Thing is getting built piecemeal as it is and I still need to come up with DDR3 for it as well (will take recommendations on that as well )

Thinking about finally getting a TRUE, I would only be running one 85CFM ish Panaflo on it until I can upgrade that. Xigmatek has some real cheap heatsinks, so those are a definite possibility as long as they can handle extreme i7 cooling

Thanks

EDIT: Cheap is more important than top performing...although nice balance would be great...

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-19-2009
OCA Gladiator

punx223 will become famous soon enough

alot of people love the cooler master V8, but for heavy clock may not be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
You mean you don't have one of the uber secret 6.6GHz Gulftown pots?
Old 09-14-2009
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Well Kal is letting me borrow his Thor's for a little bit, so still looking at RAM. Found a kit of 6GB reapers for $130, but worried I might not get them for 1-3 months :p (damn Amazon). They are not great OC'ers but 1800 MHz 6 GB kits are not that cheap anymore.

Thinking of actually being a little nutty and grabbing some of those 60 dollar setups at newegg, just to see what I can do with them lol

Old 09-21-2009
OCA Gladiator

Amazon has some super cheap 3GB kits.

$50 3x1GB 1600 MHz Patriot viper extreme ELKs

I should be able to edit SPD tables to generate my own XMP profiles yes?

Anywho they will be here by Friday hopefully. Will not get much a chance to play with them to the next Monday though :(

EDIT: WOW it might be here tomorrow or Wednesday instead. Just checked they have a DC number posted already. It is coming first class mail, I picked the closest shop to me (neighboring state) so 1-2 day delivery time is expected (Not Amazon's prediction, but mine )

Last edited by Neuromancer; 09-21-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2009
OCA Gladiator

Well well, what is this we have here? A rather weighty box from Hawaii, looks like I have some work to try and get done today, in a few short hours :( Must protect Asgard!!!

Still looking for recommendations on a heatsink to buy so I am not borrowing this beasty for too long Near to the top for i7 performance as possible, but price must be a consideration.

thanks

Old 09-25-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Buckeye will become famous soon enough

The V8 is ok but for the money invested I would get a True.
Old 09-25-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

You're not borrowing knucklehead, you're keeping it, courteousy of your friendly neighborhood team captain.

Its a good heatsink brudder, just a bitch to constantly switch out for ln2/dice pots. Be sure to visit that thread on proper tim placement and you'll be pleasantly surprised by air performance.
Old 09-27-2009
OCA Gladiator

Thanks again Kal

WEll spent hours getting this thing put together perfectly. Pulled the little rubber fan clips off my Xigmatek Battle Axe cooler to mount the panaflo to the Hammer. Read the thread on tim application, wire managed the bench station, everything looks great.

Used DVI cable (which may or may not be bad) power up... nothing.

Pull it and pop on an adapter and VGA cable. Still no video. ARGH

Left system running, after 15-20 seconds or so it shuts off, and then powers back up and repeats.

Can't test individual components, but my guess would be motherboard :( Going to see if there is anything unusual on this boar that I am missing, but I doubt it.

Old 09-27-2009
OCA Gladiator

nm, I am a tard. Hooked up a speaker, got a 3 beep code, started looking at it, and thought about PCIE slot... manual says first black slot. (mine are blue) So looked at DIMM slot population

It goes CPU Dimm 2, dimm1, dimm 4, dimm 3, dimm6, dimm 5 and you have to populate ODD slots duh

so had to pull the fan off the hammer and move the sticks

Got to post screen and turned it back off.

Old 09-27-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Hehe, Noob4Life