Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » Water Cooling » Preliminary testing for upcoming build

Notices

Water Cooling Chilled And Ambient Setups...

Old 02-12-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

As5 burin I never found to be true. Always ran better wet than dry.

As for superheated I was referring to application for diamond paste.

I would love for that stuff to be great, I got enough of it for free and the idea behind it is awesome. It just sucks though, I really cant say enough bad stuff about it for the average user. It really sucks and everyone should stay away from using it. thats my opinion, I have tried it for a while over the last few years (various IC iterations) Its is finger breaking to get it out of the tube, there is no spreading it, it erases your CPU and like every other thermal pastes it makes no differnce in temperatures.

but whatever is easiest to spread. if you change yuor heatinsk a whole lot? Use ketchup or toothpaste. (LOL JK on the last bit, just saiyng AS5 or other easy spread is fine)

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 02-12-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2013
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road

I forget where I read this, but it was stated that the type of compound used in a de-lidded cpu had little to do with resulting temp drops. When put back together the gap was reduced between the lid and the IHS from stock...this was the reason for the better performance. Think about it...has any paste you ever used had that much effect on temps from one to another?
Old 02-12-2013
OCA Gladiator

DOM is on a distinguished road

I use glied oc extreme and tried the free sample oc icd 24 diamond paste was just a few degrees cooler on idle and load but that stuff stains cooper it seems and fades the letters on the ihs and smells when you ran it for a while when removing the cpu block

Old 02-13-2013
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

I like TX2 for ambient and the Gield OCE for cold

That is the program I am on

TX2 did 3C better than Ceramic on the SS

Now that could either be it is better or I had a better mount when I did the TX2 as opposed to the Ceramic

sorta pissing in the wind with TIM, think every one has their favorite and I believe everyone has measured differences, but as above the mount itself is the deal breaker IMO not nessesarily the TIM ...

I know the white cap OCZ Freeze did a good job and they changed to a blue cap and it blew ........
Old 02-13-2013
Aspiring Overclocker

ShrimpBrime is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
As5 burin I never found to be true. Always ran better wet than dry.

As for superheated I was referring to application for diamond paste.

I would love for that stuff to be great, I got enough of it for free and the idea behind it is awesome. It just sucks though, I really cant say enough bad stuff about it for the average user. It really sucks and everyone should stay away from using it. thats my opinion, I have tried it for a while over the last few years (various IC iterations) Its is finger breaking to get it out of the tube, there is no spreading it, it erases your CPU and like every other thermal pastes it makes no differnce in temperatures.

but whatever is easiest to spread. if you change yuor heatinsk a whole lot? Use ketchup or toothpaste. (LOL JK on the last bit, just saiyng AS5 or other easy spread is fine)
Wow you got a sample tube and based an opinion on all diamond paste for it? Or you got a specific tube of Antec F6 or F7 and had a bad experience?

I had no better luck with AS5 than I have with using different types of never seize. Wouldn't recommend it to any one. Or any paste similar to it.

Quote:
I forget where I read this, but it was stated that the type of compound used in a de-lidded cpu had little to do with resulting temp drops. When put back together the gap was reduced between the lid and the IHS from stock...this was the reason for the better performance. Think about it...has any paste you ever used had that much effect on temps from one to another?
Not sure.... When I delided the 940BE, I saw a massive temp drop putting the core right on the waterblock. It worked better than the solder dropping temps some 10c or so. Can't remember that one, been a while. But I do know once you delid something, the only time the IHS plate goes back on is for sale

@ Witchdoctor.... TIM on sub zero temps is good if it doesn't freeze. Personally, I could care less if the pot freezes to the board, I've used water under my LN/DICE pot on a few occasions when tim was running low.

Fun stuff, yes arguing TIM and performance is a moot point among extreme cooling individuals......
Mushkin PC-14900
Running DDR3-2200
Liquid cooled GTX 480