Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Suggestions Have An Idea...

Old 07-29-2009
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

I think telling what cooling you are using would be too hard. That is why HWBot doesn't score points for different cooling. Not to say it can't be done, I just don't see it. I see the price cap having more flaws than the speed cap. I do give you guys props on trying to reinvent the wheel. Gets hard at times doing this. Keep the ideas flowing.

Last edited by DrNip; 07-29-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
If you looked you would have seen that cooling was to be included in pricetag in my addition, I do however see your point. How about adding a couple of temp monitors into the screenie? Simply say no sub zero cooling and if someone has a score that is too good to be true just shove a boot in where they won't like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I did look and it was inconsequential. No need for the wise assitude during the discussion.

Most software temp monitors do not register below 0c and I do not see the feesibility of requiring benchers to take videos demonstrating running benchmarks and probe placements at the same time then uploading videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Just make it for air and water only, and require realtemp be shown with a second one open showing the Tjmax. Anything under 30C wouldnt be air or water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
DINGDINGDING!!!!! We have a winner! That was what I was suggesting (or at least trying to) but it seems as though the suggestion was undesirable.

Whatever, it was still a great suggestion Cecil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_Goat View Post
Yes, it could be. I run a water loop, without a rad, and my res is a 20L pail. When I'm running 32M SPi, I change out my water while my Waza file is transfering from one drive to another. Right now the coldest water I can get out of the tap is about 10C, which would put my min temp at somewhere under 20C. Someone with an AC blowing on their rad would also have lower temps.

The idea of a Low Clock Challenge is to limit CPU speed and force contestants to develop into better tweakers. I know I've learned alot in the last few days and really surprised myself with my latest run.

The price cap idea may have merit, allthough I'm not sure how to price my cooling setup, as I machined the block myself. Taking R+D into consideration, I've got better than 1K into the WB alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Under 30C is easy with water when idle, but after running a bench or stressing, it would go up.

As for the cooling, I say that have nothing to do with the price limit. Just the main parts,
board
cpu
ram
vid card/s

And just provide proof that you arent in sub zero temps. And for the most part, we would know if someone had extreme cooling by the CPU speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakazi View Post
You could have a contest to think up a contest... Best contest idea wins a prize! j/k

The $$$ cap would work fairly well I imagine. As long as you go by MSRP or newegg pricing for purposes of the contest. Would make AMD systems more competitive and give those people a chance.

A hardware revision/generation restriction might actually exclude some people since they might not be able to spend the dough to get a particular series card.
I like the contest to think up a contest idea.

The best bet to avoid pissing in the wind would be for each person involved in this discussion that is willing, to formulate a completed contest rule set. It'd then be easier to tear it apart and build it up and find where the rules need adjustments. Dealing with it piece by piece hypothetically won't get enough traction.

So, if you would, lets see a post with a fully functional rule set for the next proposed contest. In the meantime, I'll see if I can dig up a reward for best idea.
Old 07-29-2009
Aspiring Overclocker

Shahryar_NEO will become famous soon enough

so helpful topic !

price cap is a innovation in contests that is really good !

another thing is please use benching softwares which validation way was clear and reliable ! like CPU-Z validation or ORB Link because as you can see now i got a problem with my SuperPI32M result that if there were any validation links like ORB and ... i could validate it and nobody could accuse me !
Old 07-29-2009
Classicplatforms Warrior

Bones is just getting started

Well, here's an idea.

I've seen folks asking for a bench involving their RAM. It could be based on timings, MHz speeds, ect, and there are a few benching programs specifically for RAM.
The program I've used before is Rightmark Memory Analyser.

Learning how to tweak your RAM is an important part of benching and this program will give you a reference to use for how well your RAM is doing with the tweaks you have.

Here's the link if you guys want to try it out and see if it might be useable:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/RightMar...nload-844.html

Last edited by Bones; 07-29-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2009
Full Blown Addict

Cecil is just getting started

How about this one.
Crytek claimed Crysis Warhead could be played on high settings on a $600 computer, so I say a $600 limit, and Crysis benchmark be the bench.

1280x1024, gamer setting, no AA.

$600 limit for CPU, Mobo, Ram, Vid Card/s going by current prices on newegg. Case and drives dont matter, anywould could use a $5 DVD player and a table as a desk. HDDs also vary too much, but Id say to be fair not allow SSDs.

Then have an Enthusiest one, set at 1920x1080 with a $1000 limit on hardware.

This would also make sub zero CPU temps useless, and AMD boys could compeate.

And if not enough people have Warhead, then we could just use the original, since the demo is free.

Only get to bench one setup per bench.

Last edited by Cecil; 07-29-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2009
MIA POML

Chuchnit will become famous soon enough
Default My thoughts...

First off, it's cool to see so many people throwing around ideas. The feedback is greatly appreciated and I take it this means you guys like what we got going on over here.

Now to the problems I see.

Everybody seems to want to have a contest that is so "fair" that almost nobody here will be able to compete. What do I mean by this? Well we are a benching community. That means that more than the majority of the members here have more than $600 in a motherboard and ram. Really with as many classified owners here, just the motherboard almost. So what, are we gonna have a contest where 2 or 3 members even have the goods to meet the requirements?

Ponder on this for a minute. If we held a $xxx hardware limit contest, what are you gonna want next when the "pros" spend the money just to have hardware to compete? Then we would be hearing about it not being fair again. See how hard it is to hold a contest where everyone thinks it's "fair"?

I say we all take these contest as good motivation for practice and personal betterment in that particular bench. Maybe you'll learn something that works for the first time, or even gain the respect of someone who might give you a tip or two. Either way, if you compete, these contest are a win for all.

http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=13
Old 07-29-2009
Full Blown Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchnit View Post
First off, it's cool to see so many people throwing around ideas. The feedback is greatly appreciated and I take it this means you guys like what we got going on over here.

Now to the problems I see.

Everybody seems to want to have a contest that is so "fair" that almost nobody here will be able to compete. What do I mean by this? Well we are a benching community. That means that more than the majority of the members here have more than $600 in a motherboard and ram. Really with as many classified owners here, just the motherboard almost. So what, are we gonna have a contest where 2 or 3 members even have the goods to meet the requirements?

Ponder on this for a minute. If we held a $xxx hardware limit contest, what are you gonna want next when the "pros" spend the money just to have hardware to compete? Then we would be hearing about it not being fair again. See how hard it is to hold a contest where everyone thinks it's "fair"?

I say we all take these contest as good motivation for practice and personal betterment in that particular bench. Maybe you'll learn something that works for the first time, or even gain the respect of someone who might give you a tip or two. Either way, if you compete, these contest are a win for all.
Thats why there would be two catagories. One for people who cant afford all the high end stuff, and one for those that can.
Old 07-29-2009
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Lotsa puzzle pieces but no complete picture.
Old 07-29-2009
Classicplatforms Warrior

Bones is just getting started

I can see your point Chuchnit and it's a good one.

Maybe this can be based on something that could be called "Vintage" hardware, the exact parameters to be decided by you guys.

Something you could get cheaply or maybe have in the closet collecting dust you could put to use again. Best thing is you woudn't need alot of $$'s to compete and most of you I believe have some of this stuff just lying around anyway. Finding the parts to build one of these shoudn't be difficult since you can browse places such as Ebay and others to find these parts and believe me, they're out there.
This would allow those of us without the $$'s to have a shot at competing directly with the "Big Guys". In this case, it would take more skill than $$'s to make a good run since as stated, parts for these are affordable and if something should go "Poof", it's not a huge loss for most of us that would hurt so badly.

Extreme cooling is still an issue to be worked on regardless of what's ultimately decided but it's one way I can think of to limit the $$ investment so the little guys can play too and newer OC'ers can feel like they have a chance to test their skills and learn about OC'ing in the first place.
Old 07-29-2009
Full Blown Addict

Then limited and unlimited class.

Limited class.
CPU, Mobo, Ram, Vid card must not exceed $600 using newegg prices. If it doesnt appear on newegg, tuff luck.

Bench, Crysis benchmark. Can be gotten for free here,
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Crysis-B...load-1791.html

Test,
1280x1024 all high settings, no AA, DX9 64bit runs only
timedemo, benchmark GPU
Time of day (9)
3 loops to eliminate SSD advantage.

Unlimited Class.
Anything goes

Test,
1920x1080 all very high 16xAA, DX10 64bit runs only
timedemo, benchmark GPU
Time of day (9)
1 run only to avoid HDD caching, giving advantage to higher end HDD setups.

EDIT
To follow up on Bones post, have a similar benchoff for vintage stuff, using Far Cry 1 as the bench of choice. No dual cores, and bassically, if it uses DDR2, its too new.

Last edited by Cecil; 07-29-2009 at 04:09 PM.