Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » GPUs » Nvidia » gtx 280 throttle

Notices

Old 04-11-2010
OCA Gladiator

FACE is on a distinguished road
Default gtx 280 throttle

Ok, I have been doing some reading on these.... It seems they are notorious.

I have two, and they both clock back to 3d low perf. settings mid bench. I have used different 180's and 190's drivers.

I haven't used atitool or 170's drivers yet, but plan on trying it out tomorrow.

My question is how to defeat this "feature" on these damn cards. This wold save a ton of time testing so I have more for benching. I checked the bot and seen a few of you guys using 196 drivers.... I'm missing something small and stupid, aren't I?

Nooob#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Don't forget to delete System32!!!
Old 04-12-2010
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Try This?
Step 1.)
If you dont have Rivatuner GO DOWNLOAD it google then find a download and install.

(Step 2.)
In the main area of the program once you start the program go to the area that says (ForceWare detected) Click the box to the right of that. then a new icons pop out pick the first one it looks like a Graphics card. New windows opens...

(Step 3.)
For this to work u have to go to where it says
Force constant performance level the drop down box needs to be set to Performance 3D. Now you are half way though.
****Note once you do this your card wont downclock at all this is a temporary fix. all you have to do to disable it is turn this last step back to disable.

(Step 4.)
Click apply then ok. a message will prompt you to restart your PC to activate your changes click no because we have one last thing to do.

(Step 5.)
At the top you should see tab bars click Power User. Their will be another promt if u have not gone to this section of rivatuner b4. (cant exactly remeber what it says but it asks if u want to se the message every time and if ur a poweruser. click that ur a power user.

(Step 6.)
Find this
+RivaTuner\NVIDIA\Overclocking
click the + sign and it opens new options
Now find EnablePerfLevelForcing and click the check to the left of this tab ONLY. then to the right up top it should say value
Type in 1 to the right of EnablePerfLevelForcing.
Then press ok

Make sure fo reboot.

Last edited by Kal-EL; 04-12-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2010
OCA Gladiator

HITandRUN is just getting started

Quote:
Try This?
Step 1.)
If you dont have Rivatuner GO DOWNLOAD it google then find a download and install.

(Step 2.)
In the main area of the program once you start the program go to the area that says (ForceWare detected) Click the box to the right of that. then a new icons pop out pick the first one it looks like a Graphics card. New windows opens...

(Step 3.)
For this to work u have to go to where it says
Force constant performance level the drop down box needs to be set to Performance 3D. Now you are half way though.
****Note once you do this your card wont downclock at all this is a temporary fix. all you have to do to disable it is turn this last step back to disable.

(Step 4.)
Click apply then ok. a message will prompt you to restart your PC to activate your changes click no because we have one last thing to do.

(Step 5.)
At the top you should see tab bars click Power User. Their will be another promt if u have not gone to this section of rivatuner b4. (cant exactly remeber what it says but it asks if u want to se the message every time and if ur a poweruser. click that ur a power user.

(Step 6.)
Find this
+RivaTuner\NVIDIA\Overclocking
click the + sign and it opens new options
Now find EnablePerfLevelForcing and click the check to the left of this tab ONLY. then to the right up top it should say value
Type in 1 to the right of EnablePerfLevelForcing.
Then press ok
Geez Kal no wonder you the BOSS! Im sure this comes handy in my GTX470 endeavors this week.
Old 04-12-2010
OCA Gladiator

Thanks Kal.... I have Riva. I knew it something I haven't used in a while....

Now I get to tear these cards a fresh new ass....

Nooob#1

Quote:
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 04-12-2010
OCA Gladiator

HITandRUN is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACE411 View Post
Thanks Kal.... I have Riva. I knew it something I haven't used in a while....

Now I get to tear these cards a fresh new ass....
GO and let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-12-2010
Beyond Help

Hondacity will become famous soon enough

try nibitor...my 285s love this...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/V...S-Editor.shtml

the 280s have pwm....what voltage your run them at?
Old 04-13-2010
OCA Gladiator

LOL, nbitor and nvflash stay on my flash drive in case of gpu tomfoolery.

I'm running them around 1.35v to keep them around 800mhz core. Figured out that where the shaders are compared to the core makes a huge difference. I've been having to keep them uninked and use weird ratios to keep them stable... I say weird because the ratio is never the same as I climb core speed. It reminds me of the fsb holes on my old 780i motherboard.. A lot of shooting in the dark has been required for success.

I'm chocking it up to bad silicon and pushing with what I have. Last night my best settings were 793/1586/1280. The vmem gained and lost performance continuously through the climb, so I just kept pushing until I hit the next sweet spot.

Fixed the trottling though via Rivatuner. These cards are really doing well in 3dmark05 considering the PITA clocking... Pretty weak in everything else. I'll bust these cards' asses more today, then in SLI to grab a few boints.

I have really bad luck with gpus... One day I will get a golden card. Well that and a gpu pot...

Nooob#1

Quote:
Old 04-13-2010
OCA Gladiator

punx223 will become famous soon enough

also on the nvidia drivers under 3d performance settings you should see an option there under global for "performance power management" or something like that.... check and set for "prefer maximum performance" and that will keep it clocked up.

sometimes I have found if you are on windows 7 that a bench will keep running even if the drivers crash and recover but the clocks drop to power save mode.... (make sure drivers are not crashing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
You mean you don't have one of the uber secret 6.6GHz Gulftown pots?
Old 04-13-2010
OCA Gladiator

Everything makes the drivers crash... I fart and they crash.... j/k I'm good on all that.

Thanks bro.

Nooob#1

Quote: