Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Air Cooling Air Powered...

Old 02-20-2010
Aspiring Overclocker

t77snapshot is just getting started
Default My new SpinQ cooler

I just installed my new Tt SpinQ cooler and it is awesome! Normally I am not a big fan of Thermaltake products, but I got it for an amazing deal and couldn't pass it up. This cooler replaced my stock AMD hsf on my latest build the "Quad-Cruncher" (Phenom 9950). My temps dropped from 37c to 26c. Now I can finally start overclock'in!

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 920
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe 780a
EVGA GTX285 in SLI
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NZXT Tempest case
WD 640Gb black
Creative Audigy2 se
CORSAIR 750TX psu
OCZ 4Gb 1066 ram
LG x22 dvd/cd
24" Samsung
Old 02-20-2010
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

Thats a rugged lookin cooler, is it a real performer? The mounting easy to work with ?
Old 02-20-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

K confused...
9950? ugly yellow (not ugly orange yellow) slots mean DFI... means you gotta cool that chipset bro. excessively... dunno why DFI runs hot hot hot (cuz AMD as rule does not)

Curious about your 920 x4 there though. I got mine to 4.44 not prime stable or nothing (3.9-4.1 benchable IIRC) I think by your sig you are running a nVidia chipset? this ain't 939 son Get a 790 chipset on it and let it sing!

Seriously, best purchase I made lately was Foxconn A79A-S got it for 105 from newegg... board is a PITA but worth it... the rule is $100 new for AMD boards. Unless you are BE clocking. My expensive M4A79 Deluxe sucked for clocking my 920 (3.8 I think I hit too unstable for CPUz) but my Foxconn couldnt handle my BE chip like it could either...

2 tenements of AMD mobo buying....

Never spend more than $100 for a non BE chip motherboard.

Never get an ASUS unless you are BE clocking.

Granted the rules are kinda... well you HAVE to spend more than $100 on an ASUS mobo... but there you have it.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 02-20-2010
Aspiring Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
Thats a rugged lookin cooler, is it a real performer? The mounting easy to work with ?
I haven't put it to the test yet, but I read some reviews and it's up there with the other high end coolers. The mounting for AM2/3 is very easy, this cooler is pretty light so it doesn't require it's own backplate. There is also some room to get your fingers in there to clamp it down.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 920
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe 780a
EVGA GTX285 in SLI
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NZXT Tempest case
WD 640Gb black
Creative Audigy2 se
CORSAIR 750TX psu
OCZ 4Gb 1066 ram
LG x22 dvd/cd
24" Samsung
Old 02-20-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Make a bolt through mod for it.. you will love the performance increase

Old 02-20-2010
Aspiring Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
K confused...
9950? ugly yellow (not ugly orange yellow) slots mean DFI... means you gotta cool that chipset bro. excessively... dunno why DFI runs hot hot hot (cuz AMD as rule does not)

Curious about your 920 x4 there though. I got mine to 4.44 not prime stable or nothing (3.9-4.1 benchable IIRC) I think by your sig you are running a nVidia chipset? this ain't 939 son Get a 790 chipset on it and let it sing!

Seriously, best purchase I made lately was Foxconn A79A-S got it for 105 from newegg... board is a PITA but worth it... the rule is $100 new for AMD boards. Unless you are BE clocking. My expensive M4A79 Deluxe sucked for clocking my 920 (3.8 I think I hit too unstable for CPUz) but my Foxconn couldnt handle my BE chip like it could either...

2 tenements of AMD mobo buying....

Never spend more than $100 for a non BE chip motherboard.

Never get an ASUS unless you are BE clocking.

Granted the rules are kinda... well you HAVE to spend more than $100 on an ASUS mobo... but there you have it.
I think you are a bit confused.....the specs in my sig differ from the system I posted here. I am running a 9950 BE on this AM2+ DFI board, yes this board is ugly but this was a budget build and I got a smok'in deal on it. The mobo in my sig cost me about $250 and it is almost 2 years old. At the time when I bought my Asus board I was just going off of stupid newegg reviews , but I know better now. If I could get a different mobo I would, but like a lot of you I am always broke after paying bills.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 920
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe 780a
EVGA GTX285 in SLI
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NZXT Tempest case
WD 640Gb black
Creative Audigy2 se
CORSAIR 750TX psu
OCZ 4Gb 1066 ram
LG x22 dvd/cd
24" Samsung

Last edited by t77snapshot; 02-20-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2010
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

That thing looks dangerous.
Old 02-21-2010
Senior Overclockaholic

Dentlord is on a distinguished road

I was thinking the same thing, it should be attached to a tractor clearing out a field somewhere lol

Looks cool though, let us know how it performs when you beat on it!
Old 02-21-2010
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

Might cut a finger off if your not careful. lol
Old 02-21-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by t77snapshot View Post
I think you are a bit confused.....the specs in my sig differ from the system I posted here. I am running a 9950 BE on this AM2+ DFI board, yes this board is ugly but this was a budget build and I got a smok'in deal on it. The mobo in my sig cost me about $250 and it is almost 2 years old. At the time when I bought my Asus board I was just going off of stupid newegg reviews , but I know better now. If I could get a different mobo I would, but like a lot of you I am always broke after paying bills.
Yeah I was mixing info

nForce4 was a rocking chipset for 939, I have not seen a good chipset from them for AMD since then though :(

Deals are always good, and I was not saying the board was ugly... That shade of yellow is DFI's trademark, I was trying to ID the board with no information, ugly just kind of slipped out For a REALLY ugly board you need to look at my BIOStar. Pea green, yellow and orange on a blue PCB UGH! At least the DFI has some type of style to it

Yeah that is dangerous looking cooler, and totally looks like a tilling machine.

Oh my other point was.. if you think it cools well using the clip... make a bolt through kit for it if you can. Improves temps quite a bit on the AMD socket