Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Single Stage & Cascade Cooling Single & Multi Stage Phase Change...

Old 07-09-2009
OCA Gladiator

karmakazi will become famous soon enough

Im not trying to derail your thread but how much wattage does the monstacade draw at load?

I bet electrical costs top $100/month to run it. I prefer to tweak on air cooling b4 I go ln2.

I think for the temp control ln2 is a better bet anyday over a cascade, just my opinion tho.

Here my breakdown:
$25 per dewar fill (lasts me ~3 weeks)
$200 - 50l taylor wharton
$300 - F1EE which can be updated to fit any socket for just a couple dollars for a new holddown/backplate

So I assume that for $1600 the mostercade/something similar could be had? I would need to fill my dewar ~50 times to equal the original cost. not including electrical usage each month to run that monster. 50 dewar fills = 150 weeks or almost 3 years of running ln2. in 3 years i bet the monstacade needs a regas and retune. that isnt free either...

Just my $.02
Old 07-09-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Buckeye will become famous soon enough

You make some good points there Karm.

Basiclly it boils down to trade offs on how you want to run your bench.

For me LN2 is 100% the way to go, but so often there is a catch to using it for me. Having to go out and get the Dewar filled and get scalpped by Airgas, I really need to put some foot work down and find a better LN2 supplier. Setting aside time where I won't be interrupted. All that and the Dewar gets empty all to fast LOL !

My Cascade uses two normal power plugs, 1 for each stage, I assume a 3 stage would need 3. Some homes/appts may have a problem running a machine like these and pop fuses or breakers.

Power costs might be an issue also, but I do not run mine 24/7 and perhaps 3-4 hours at a time. At my place the swimming pool pump is the biggest power draw. But you never really know because you can run the machine for very long periods and don't see the cost until the end of the month, and that could be OUCH ! if not careful.

If you could get a deal where having a large Dewar delivered to your home every month that might be prefered, where I am at thats not all that easy to do. But a carefully planned bench session and that would be a go.

Being able to dial in your temps with LN2 is also perfered, with mine unit its -111.7c unloaded and thats it. And also dealing with cold bugs is np with LN2 but could be a huge pain with Cascade, you can't just take a blow dryer to warm up the pot.

So in the end it's all about trade offs. For me it's convience of using the Cascade and ease of use. I use it more becasue I can simply turn it on and away I go, then off and I am done. Never worry about phone calls or having to do something around the house while in the middle of a bench run.

Does it mean I am done with LN2, far from it. I can just get in more benching with the Cascade now at temps that I want to run at.

I highly doubt that this Cascade will ever need a recharge or retune, it is built very well. Things like these don't need recharges unless you have a leak. This has held up for 3 years so far with no leaks so I think it can last longer with out a problem. Retuning a unit like this is not really needed, unless I decided that I want to go for a higher load capability. But I don't really see a need for that anytime soon.

To me it's all about the quality of the build and the steps the builder has taking to make sure things will run smooth for a long time. Good brazing and extended leak/pressure testing are all good signs.

If you ever get a chance to see this unit up close you will understand what I mean about quality of the build. I have seen other units built in a weekend and hardly leak or pressure checked at all, poor looking brazes which looks like nothing but trouble imo., better live close to that guy because you may need to go see him again

Last edited by Buckeye; 07-09-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2009
Aspiring Overclocker

NoL is just getting started

Quote:
Im not trying to derail your thread but how much wattage does the monstacade draw at load?

I bet electrical costs top $100/month to run it. I prefer to tweak on air cooling b4 I go ln2.

I think for the temp control ln2 is a better bet anyday over a cascade, just my opinion tho.

Here my breakdown:
$25 per dewar fill (lasts me ~3 weeks)
$200 - 50l taylor wharton
$300 - F1EE which can be updated to fit any socket for just a couple dollars for a new holddown/backplate

So I assume that for $1600 the mostercade/something similar could be had? I would need to fill my dewar ~50 times to equal the original cost. not including electrical usage each month to run that monster. 50 dewar fills = 150 weeks or almost 3 years of running ln2. in 3 years i bet the monstacade needs a regas and retune. that isnt free either...

Just my $.02
That dewar fill can't be lasting 3 weeks if your benching. You can kill 50L in an afternoon pretty quick with a quad and a video card. Also, you've got an amazing price at .50$ a liter, most people pay 2-3$.
And having an ADJUSTABLE cascade means it won't ever need a retune unless the world goes insane, and intel isn't going to produce a 9000W chip again anytime soon (the 840EE was never that popular past being a space heater after all!)

Having proper features from the beginning, like a hot gas bypass, allows you to have massive range of temperature control as well.
Old 07-09-2009
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

I know Airgas here in Oklahoma puts a $10 extra charge on small amounts of DICE. They told me that it is to get the average Joe Blow to go buy it out of grocery stores, I guess. How much is the charge on LN2 Buckeye?
Old 07-09-2009
Aspiring Overclocker

Gauge prep! 6 lines made up, two lines for the hot gas bypass solenoid done as well.
JB Weld time, that will take the rest of the night to dry. Then will begin to pressure test components.

Oh also picked up 1/2" steel (smaller stuff) to weld up the cradle for the HX box.
Old 07-09-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNip View Post
I know Airgas here in Oklahoma puts a $10 extra charge on small amounts of DICE. They told me that it is to get the average Joe Blow to go buy it out of grocery stores, I guess. How much is the charge on LN2 Buckeye?
When I take my 50L over to Airgas they charge me $125 and that includes a Hazmat charge and what not.

Do those guages up real nice there NOL, so they don't end up looking like spaghetti flopping all over the place <cough> like another I have seen

It's starting to look real good
Even the pink insulation for the guys wearing confortable shoes

Last edited by Buckeye; 07-09-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2009
Aspiring Overclocker

I'm trying to size it all up right now, you know, make it come together.
If I want to have the big electronic box on the back but within the case, I think 32" long, 18" wide, and 20" tall is going to happen.
But If move the electronics out the back, I have easier housing for the expansion tanks.
Hmmm what to do.
Compressors and what not can't really move. Oil separators are fairly large.
See what happens when you don't autocad EVERYTHING?

Meh I've got an idea.
Time to start drilling holes in a big mdf board.

Quote:
When I take my 50L over to Airgas they charge me $125 and that includes a Hazmat charge and what not.
So $2 a L?
How long will 50L take you on just a CPU pot.
How much was your dewar?
Old 07-09-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

My Dewar I got a really good deal on it, full pressure top and rolling stand for Taylor Wharton 50L was $300 or $350, its been awhile.

For just CPU runs that will last me a weekend.

The video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RSBBqBBK30

Last edited by Buckeye; 07-09-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2009
Aspiring Overclocker

So $125 a weekend...
Cascade indeed.

Also, Buckeye, you should insulate that removal device.
Who knows how much ln2 you're loosing to keep that thing icey
Old 07-09-2009
Senior Overclockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoL View Post
So $125 a weekend...
Cascade indeed.

Also, Buckeye, you should insulate that removal device.
Who knows how much ln2 you're loosing to keep that thing icey
Now I have heard that some place before.....