Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Cooling Performance Section » Water Cooling » Preliminary testing for upcoming build

Notices

Water Cooling Chilled And Ambient Setups...

Old 01-26-2013
OCA Gladiator

GFDuke is on a distinguished road

Temps look good but as soon as I put load on it it shoots into the 70s and then crashes. need to work on stabelizing this,

I think you have a bad mount.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #8: " Small print leads to large risk. "
Old 01-26-2013
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

I will re set it, but being stock clocks scale with temp I am thinking that second chiller stage will hopefully be the answer
Old 01-26-2013
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchdoctor
Temps look good but as soon as I put load on it it shoots into the 70s and then crashes. need to work on stabelizing this,

Try rotating your waterblock mount 90 degrees.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 01-29-2013
OCA Gladiator

Well it looks like I had a good mount, but remounted after a quarter turn. Cable arrived today, DHL official blows .... turns out they got it and mailed it via USPS

So it went from UPS then to DHL then to the USPS ..... thinking I should send it to fedX so everyone gets to handel it .............. WTF ...

Just plugged it in and it seems to be working, Updating firmware in hope to fire up Chiller A. This should in therory double my capacity. I have read this is a total PITA to get to take, but it seems to be but not finished yet ....... one dot at a time, pain and suffering. If it and when it does take I will be able to move on to testing again.... fingers crossed

Thing is condensing like crazy, first I have seen this, Hope this is a good sign

Edit:

Firmware updated ok

Still do not know if both chillers are working as the chiller A light is still off while B stays lit ???? Anybody know what the skinny is

5Ghz did not prove to be possible within reasonable voltage for the cooling solution

Here are a couple of screen shots that show this unit has limited capacity

Things start to heat up a bit at 1.384 core and 4.789 GHz
At these setting the condisation problem has been elimiated

This is where if the unit is utilizing both chillers A & B it gets a bit alarming and may be 5 Ghz is beyond its capabilities. at just a 100 mhz increase and a .024 core increase I get a rise in max temp by 6C.... Notice the the Coolit Graph is gone as framework took a dump during the run but did not crash the system. Have to say I am a bit disapointed with the results thus far. I am hopefull that I am doing something wrong and the second chiller is not on or adding a res better pump and a rad will help solidify the swings on this as they are wicked, note above post at 4.988 idol temps. I think increasing water and volume will hurt the idol temps but infact help stablize and lower loads temps, but we will see soon enough. Time for dinner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prime Load 4.78 GHz.jpg (245.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Prime Load 4.88 GHz.jpg (246.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Witchdoctor; 01-29-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2013
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road

Something is amiss buddy...you know darn well if I could run the 980X at over 5GHz with the Boreas it is more than possible with your hardware. Let me see if I can dig up some screenshots.

114.9c reading is just wacky...you should never see anything remotely close to that. Change your settings:

Coolant Target Temp - 0

Max Chiller power - 100

Min Chiller power - 100

Max allowed - 0

Min allowed - 0

Can't seem to locate all my screenshots. You remember that Coolit contest I won with the 980X in the SFF case running at 5GHz ? All you guys popped in and voted for me lol. I know I ran a bunch of benches at 5GHz on that crappy Micro board and never had a problem with temps. Surely your current chip is more capable than the 980X. I'll keep searching for screens...also, close out that crap Coolit graph and rely on RealTemp. Your temps look great from what I have seen.

The same funky chip I won the SPI contest with lol!

Last edited by rickss69; 01-29-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2013
OCA Gladiator

Yea somthing seems wrong, does both your A & B chiller lights on, or just one like mine? I have no way of knowing ? Would like to get this sorted before i start introducing other components so I can get a true comparison. M-tech software is a bit flaky on Win 7 ....... for these clocks High 60's seem kinda ordinary, does anyone know where ambient water is at these clocks and voltages ? it been so long kinda out of touch with what to expect ???
Old 01-29-2013
OCA Gladiator

DOM is on a distinguished road

I'll check my temps when I get home ran 4.9Ghz @ 1.4v for a while forgot I even had it oced

But this is my delidded cpu on water not sure of its still a good comparison XD

Old 01-29-2013
OCA Gladiator

Awsome, better than nutin ...........

This CPU does 5 Ghz at 1.285 at -50C

Ambient it just bites, need lots of volts ......
Old 01-29-2013
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road

Yes, your temps seem very normal to me. Change those settings and run WPrime again for a comparison. I'll try to rig something similar up here to attempt to answer some of your questions.

Screen from awhile back...I don't think I had both A and B joined and I'm sure the Boreas was not performing as well as yours is atm. Look where the temps began on mine...

Keep in mind that the Boreas is nothing more than a decked out water cooling solution...it aint God lol. You can't run much of anything at 5GHz steady diet and expect it to fare well for long....even with a ss. I think you can do 5GHz easily with the Boreas when you want or for bragging rights, but I would save another tamer profile in bios for daily duty.

Last edited by rickss69; 01-30-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2013
OCA Gladiator

Wow that is a huge help Rick, yea I was thinking this would do 5Ghz in the 50's or low 60's

Looks like I was over estimating a bit. I appreciate you taking the time bro, I will rerun at the new settings when I get home form work tonight. If Dom can chime in with ambient water that will really start to tell the story of how effective this is at these clocks.

Don't plan on benching this unit competetivly, what my goal with this build is flat out top 24/7 bullet proof clocks.
Just want to build something over the top that is a complete waste of money and resources just for the fun of it. ...............