Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Old 08-17-2010
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here
Question AMD Advice

Looking for some DDR3 RAM for my latest build I have up my sleeve. I will tell you it is a Thuban build as I dumped my Intel today. Just tired of the same o' same o'.

So far I am leaning towards these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226122

Also been looking at the Super Talent's everybody has been raving about. Maybe two of these:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=...8X8-CL8-Memory

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Last edited by DrNip; 08-17-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2010
OCA Gladiator

FACE is on a distinguished road

I like these for AMD...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226120

Once I run through some s775 benching I plan to rebuild the gamer w/ a Thuban. Going with these.

Nooob#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Don't forget to delete System32!!!
Old 08-17-2010
Don't Know

DrNip might just be on to something hereDrNip might just be on to something here

I did love my Redline Ascents I had. Just wondering if the black frost low volts I have listed are the same but at lower volts and a lower price?

Black Frost 1600 cas 7 @1.35v $119.99

Red Frost 1600 cas 6 @ 1.65v $129.99

Getting really excited on this AMD as the last AMD I had was a 590 SLI!!! Hopefully they've improved since then. Also in between these two mobos:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131644

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138193

So much for my dreams of a 460 GTX sli setup. Not that it was that big of a dream. Guess I will have to go with a 5830 Crossfire setup. Cooler Master case came in today and it is sweet. Going with the red/black theme this go around.

Last edited by DrNip; 08-17-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2010
OCA Gladiator

the Crosshair is the winner, but that Biostar is pretty damned nice for the price.

Makes for a tough decision indeed..

Nooob#1

Quote:
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 08-18-2010
Don't Know

Well I went with the Asus Crosshair as well as the Mushkin's Red Frost you listed. Was really wanting to wait on the Crosshair Extreme but no telling when that will drop. Was wanting the Biostar but the gripes of the PCIe slots being too close got me as I am wanting a Crossfire setup. I'm undecided on a GPU for the moment so in the mean time I will just bust my old 2600 out. Prolly go with the Asus 5830.

Need to score me a Venom pot so I can take this thing sub zero sometime. That's on my too do list before summer is up. Sure miss the negative zone even if it is only DICE.

Last edited by DrNip; 08-18-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010
OCA Gladiator

Dice is nice, especially when ln2 costs a billion dollars to have like it does here...

So you want the venom just because, or are you thinking the f1 just might not do it for you?

Nooob#1

Quote:
Old 08-19-2010
Don't Know

Just because I've never had it and want to see what the hype is about. Not to mention I don't have my F1 anymore. :(
Old 08-19-2010
OCA Gladiator

Good point... looks like the new f1 is going to have a similar design. Maybe he will make a new base for the Venom too...

Nooob#1

Quote:
Old 08-19-2010
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

BIOSTAR traditionally has some sick HTREF clocking capability, IIRC the boards capable of pushing 400, 2 of the 3 were Biostar the other was some cheap nVidia IIRC.

That price point might have me giving it a whirl. The CHIV appears to be limited like most ASUS boards to around 300.

Moot if you are getting a BE chip but if you are not, or want it to bench some AMD stuff...the biostar *might* give you an advantage for sempron/athlon clocking.

As for RAM... I have no recommendation on that.. I get whatever cheap RAM I can find and bend it to my will Have not seen much any 1800+ that cant run 1600+ 7-7-7

stock 1600 MHZ RAM running 7-7-7 is a little different. One set could one set could not.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 08-19-2010
Senior Overclockaholic

ReverendMaynard is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNip View Post
Well I went with the Asus Crosshair as well as the Mushkin's Red Frost you listed. Was really wanting to wait on the Crosshair Extreme but no telling when that will drop. Was wanting the Biostar but the gripes of the PCIe slots being too close got me as I am wanting a Crossfire setup. I'm undecided on a GPU for the moment so in the mean time I will just bust my old 2600 out. Prolly go with the Asus 5830.

Need to score me a Venom pot so I can take this thing sub zero sometime. That's on my too do list before summer is up. Sure miss the negative zone even if it is only DICE.
good call on the board and ram. CAS means a whole lot with AMD right now, and you'll have flexibility moving to higher speeds with loosening.

GPU....I'd rethink the 5830 and just go for the 5850 if you can find them.

Gutterz: He laid the sausage on it , but this wasnt an SS