Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Single Stage & Cascade Cooling Single & Multi Stage Phase Change...

Old 11-09-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

lesstutrey is just getting started
Default Idiocy

So i bought a SS a year or two ago from NCSpecV, who was dumping off all his extreme cooling gear. I got a great deal on it.. because he neglected to tell me that when he got it from scott it had leaked, and he apparently got pissed off and kicked the thing. Bottom line is that it wasn't working and the case was endlessly beat up. I had him ship it to scott so he could do the work he was going to do for NCSpecV who just never bothered sending it in to have it fixed. When he sent it to scott he did a terrible job packaging and i was shown pictures of how it arrived. But all was good, he fixed the leak, replaced the homemade SLHX with a commercial SLHX and got it to operational mode and i was only out 420$ (120$ more than what i expected due to repairs). I received the unit and saw why i kept getting told i'm just fixing it so it works, not doing cosmetic repairs. Seriously, i wonder what the original owner did to the thing. It really looks like someone got mad at it and beat the every loving crap out of it. So i turned it on and it pulled to -46 (which is really all the more the condenser is capable of) and then took apart the case, stuck it on a shelf and kinda let it sit. I pulled it down twice just to make sure i didn't blow anything.

So i've been bit by the cold bug (i think winter does it to me) again and i've been getting some stuff preped for some subzero fun. Found a friend with a trailer, so i can go get my dewar filled. I will finally have ln2, wooot. But in prep i figured some SS work would be useful before i did ln2. I love SS for that reason, it really lets you max out your board, maybe not the processor.

So i went to turn this on sunday and no dice. I noticed a loose butt splice, so i pulled the ends out and quickly twisted them together to try and get it to start, but still a no go. I noticed that another butt-splice had come undone (i don't use them for this reason) but i didn't really have time to fix anything else. So i came back last night and hooked up that wire and blamo, thing turns on. Only.. the fans weren't connected. So i quickly hoooked them up and watched my DT pull only to -36. What the heck? It's sat around long enough that if it has a leak, it shouldn't be pulling down pretty much at all. So i got sad and dejected and started pricing r410a (about $250 for a 25lb tank and a manifold, could get epa 608 cert, am thinking of joining HVAC union if this college thing doesn't pan out, due to family connections). But while i was doing that i was just thinking, seriously, wtf a leak? That thing has sat WAY too long for it to only have leaked off an oz or two of gas. Then i remembered something about this unit, it has two k-probes on it. It used to have an external display so one is for that (the display has a broken leg on a resistor that i need to fix, and then i think it's good) and the other was for your DT or whatever since they are more accurate. Plugged it into the one for the display, watched it pull down to -46 and I was happy. I called it a night after realizing the key-ring on the evap head was too frozen to get off so i can position the other k probe.

So since i gotta move this probe... should i mount it on the evap with electrical tape or on the suction line? I noticed the one i was getting -46 was on the top of the evap head reading off the top i think (couldn't tell without taking off the key..). Also, since i don't have a key-ring tool, what the heck should i use to take the key off with?

Last edited by lesstutrey; 11-09-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2011
Senior Overclockaholic

ReverendMaynard is just getting started

This unfortunately is Typical Sdumper quality. I went through the same thing 2 times from him with two separate units, eventually I had to drive to New York from north of Toronto (met with Splave, not such a bad thing) to get a refund from him because by that time I had already paid over $300 in just shipping ffs. So I know where you're coming from...shit you might have one of the SS's that I sent back. I showed pics on the forums of Scotts shipping methods as well, which was 90% of the problem. I ended up going DICE so that when something failed I knew it was my fault.

I think you should be pulling the temps from the evap head, there should he a hole there, just pop in some Artic Ceramique and electrical tape it.

Peace
Rev

Gutterz: He laid the sausage on it , but this wasnt an SS
Old 11-09-2011
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Scott built my unit too and it ran great until I let it sit for awhile. Then when I turned it on I watched the temp go up and up and up. Sent it to Scott who said there was a leak and he had fixed it and then sent it back to me. About a month (maybe less) later, it was out of gas again.

Wrote Scott on Xtremesystems cause that's where I heard he hangs out now, but never heard back. Wasn't excited about sending it to him anyway cause 2 FAILS are enough as far as I'm concerned.

Sent it ot the Witchdoctor and he fixed the leak and refilled it for me. Working great

Scott had told me once to mount the probe with tape (and TIM) on the fat pipe about 11/2 inches up from the head. Didn't work for me.

Witchy soldered my k-type.

I'm guessing he'll be here later

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-09-2011
Beyond Help

Splave will become famous soon enough

your thread title is perfect lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
when those trolls start making love your VGA has no chance!
Old 11-09-2011
Senior Overclockaholic

ReverendMaynard is just getting started

4 people here who saw the quality workmanship first hand, how many more are there? 100?

Gutterz: He laid the sausage on it , but this wasnt an SS
Old 11-09-2011
Beyond Help

Don't forget Rickss Cascade

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-09-2011
Aspiring Overclocker

lesstutrey is just getting started

Think Mike/Gunslinger had a double or triple stage from him, that he sold when he went PURE, because it didn't have a hot bypass, so low coldbug chips freaked out.
Yeah, major packaging difference. With under-the-ice.com he used those form fitting blocks, with scott i got peanuts, literally, packing peanuts. Single Stages need very proper shipping. The only reason this one is still running is because it had the case, so the guts couldn't get bashed around too much in shipping. This thing is still running and it was the second i7 bencher he built, so it's not terrible. I actually had problems with NCSpecV, not sdumper. I PM'd sdumper about the unit i purchased from NC, and he said it was broken and the guy had never sent it in for repairs even though he was gonna get shipping refund and the repairs for free. So scott charged me for the repairs, but i had NC ship it to him, and scott shipped it to me for free. I wasn't trying to start a bash on sdumper thread, he was good to me. Sorry you guys had bad experiences.

ReverendMaynard: why didn't you just go see rufus, he lives in toronto area and is a great builder, almost got a two stage from him and he was willing to meet me at the border on the US side. I mean, obviously this is a bit late, just wondering.

Last edited by lesstutrey; 11-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2011
Beyond Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstutrey View Post
Think Mike/Gunslinger had a double or triple stage from him, that he sold when he went PURE, because it didn't have a hot bypass, so low coldbug chips freaked out.
Yeah, major packaging difference. With under-the-ice.com he used those form fitting blocks, with scott i got peanuts, literally, packing peanuts. Single Stages need very proper shipping. The only reason this one is still running is because it had the case, so the guts couldn't get bashed around too much in shipping. This thing is still running and it was the second i7 bencher he built, so it's not terrible. I actually had problems with NCSpecV, not sdumper. I PM'd sdumper about the unit i purchased from NC, and he said it was broken and the guy had never sent it in for repairs even though he was gonna get shipping refund and the repairs for free. So scott charged me for the repairs, but i had NC ship it to him, and scott shipped it to me for free. I wasn't trying to start a bash on sdumper thread, he was good to me. Sorry you guys had bad experiences.

ReverendMaynard: why didn't you just go see rufus, he lives in toronto area and is a great builder, almost got a two stage from him and he was willing to meet me at the border on the US side. I mean, obviously this is a bit late, just wondering.
That rat bastard, I had to pay shipping both ways

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 11-09-2011
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

I bought one of those tools at ace hardware for 8 bucks

just lay the open wire against the top of the evap head and zip tie as close to the evap on the suction lise with two or three zip ties

make shore you have the wire horizontal flate tight against the head

This is the way I did daawgs as I already had it charged

Reinsulate aginst it well and your done, do not solder it while it has a charge in it. you could create a problem you do not want to deal with.

I have one of Scotts units as well, bought it second hand and have only had to replace a relay so far .......... knock on wood

If it makes you feel better you could hit it with a small pea sized two part epoxy after the zip tighs are in place

best of luck

Edit

OH yea RickSS revolutionized SS shipping

Rubbermade = WIN

Last edited by Witchdoctor; 11-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2011
Beyond Help

I think somewhere you asked about the tool to remove the snap ring on the evap head? (too lazy to re-read lol). Home Depot, in the electrical tools department

www.maaddaawg.com