Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

Windows 7 The Latest & Maybe The Greatest...

Old 10-04-2011
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road
Default Home Server OS

Maybe not the right section to post this. I have a new Home Server OS and have never used it...what is the difference between it and other OS's? Would this be suitable to use for an everyday pc?
Old 10-04-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

No not an everyday OS.

its a OS designed for software storage control (like an unraid server) handles backing up windows OS's on the network, can do standard windows SMB shares as well as multicasting and streaming. There are some addons that will do other things (like recording TV shows if you install a tuner)

But there is no desktop with it, everything that can be done physically on the computer can also be done via webbrowser from any netowrked PC.

Pretty sure there is some more to it, but I have not looked at it in a long time.

I just windows for my home servers, it can do most of the stuff Home server can, just without the back up stuff, and I hack the RDP to allow concurrent sessions.

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 10-04-2011
OCA Gladiator

rickss69 is on a distinguished road

Thanks buddy - Sounds pretty useless for my purposes then...if anyone here needs it I'll let it go cheap then.
Old 10-04-2011
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

It is worth having.

If the backup feature works as advertised.

(boink your PC restore it from server OS... kudos...)

Play with it..

Since you have it anyway.

It is slow and never add drives that have data on them to it. the rest might be okay.

Seriously, set it up go to every sick site you can think off, get viruses. (I know hard to do as a smart surfer) . See if it can fix it. (dont think viruses are smart enough to work on windows home OS, restore points definitely but Windows home server can restore from cold steel. dunno if it can do it from PXE boot.. or USB stick or whatever. It can image an OS though from network.)

EDIT: you know what PXE boot is? Try that too and let us know. That means a whole new world for us benchers

EDIT: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...d-992a27042535

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."

Last edited by Neuromancer; 10-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.