Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » CPUs » Intel » i7 920 vs. 940

Notices

Old 06-21-2010
OCA Gladiator

kikicoco1334 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMaynard View Post
My 920 CO was pretty epic. Did 4.6ghz valid and 4.5ghz benchable with water cooling on a Giga X58 Extreme.

Word of advice for that 940, don't use the even multi's. Stick with 20x + 1x turbo (21x) or you'll pull out your hair.

damn! that thing is really that big of a pain in the ass?
i was looking around on ebay and the 920 D0 is going more than the 940s!
Old 06-26-2010
OCA Gladiator

FACE is on a distinguished road

The 920 is still the bang for the buck on x58. I have yet to run into one that hasn't been able to hit 5ghz under some sort of cold... epic chips indeed!

Ebay is getting ridiculous on i7 chips... they just say "guaranteed to hit 4ghz" and jack up the price on the chip. You are better off getting a new one.... if the chip is a dud you can kill it and rma it for a win chip.

Nooob#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
I think the flux capacitor caused the aeon influx inductors to mis-allign the dylithium crystals during transphotogenic mutation, but that's just because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Don't forget to delete System32!!!
Old 06-26-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACE View Post
The 920 is still the bang for the buck on x58. I have yet to run into one that hasn't been able to hit 5ghz under some sort of cold... epic chips indeed!

Ebay is getting ridiculous on i7 chips... they just say "guaranteed to hit 4ghz" and jack up the price on the chip. You are better off getting a new one.... if the chip is a dud you can kill it and rma it for a win chip.

hold on! how can i kill a chip?
if i kill my 940 will i get a different one then the 940 any time soon?
because they have already stopped making them now

and yeah when ebay get those 4ghz chips look in to the VID or the voltage on the chip in CPUZ some of them are like 1.5v lol i can get my 920 @ 4.2GHz @ 1.376v lol
Old 06-27-2010
Lurker

spfoam1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikicoco1334 View Post
hold on! how can i kill a chip?
if i kill my 940 will i get a different one then the 940 any time soon?
because they have already stopped making them now

and yeah when ebay get those 4ghz chips look in to the VID or the voltage on the chip in CPUZ some of them are like 1.5v lol i can get my 920 @ 4.2GHz @ 1.376v lol
I tried to kill an Intel e6300. I had it on air cooling and rammed 1.8v down it's throat over and over and over. I never could kill it. I honestly wanted to see what happens when one dies, and if I would notice any warnings prior to it's death so I could avoid killing an expensive chip. My intent was not to RMA it.
On the other hand, I toasted an i7 965 and an i7 940 accidentally when I put them on an Asus Rampage II Extreme board that had an intermittent connection in the 24 pin ATX power socket. Death was rapid when the cable was moved slightly. I don't know exactly which connection was bad. Asus would not RMA the board because the serial number sticker had been damaged by some iso alcohol when I cleaned up some TIM that has dripped onto the board. Intel would not RMA the chips because I never made a note of the exact number on the original heat sink fan that came with the chips, and as soon as I said they were on a Rampage II Exteme they blamed the board. I know I am not the only Rampage II Extreme board owner this has happened to. The Rampage board got stomped on and Asus is on my permanent shit list. I don't blame Intel for scrutinizing RMA requests...it's just good business to protect themselves against dishonest individuals. My RMA request was wishful thinking. I really don't know how so many people RMA toasted chips.

With all that said, there is a reason you need to be careful of static electricity. If you want to kill it put on the wool socks and slide across the carpet before you pick it up. Just don't expect to RMA it, as that would be dishonest at best, and they can probably tell what happened to it.
Old 07-03-2010
OCA Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfoam1 View Post
I tried to kill an Intel e6300. I had it on air cooling and rammed 1.8v down it's throat over and over and over. I never could kill it. I honestly wanted to see what happens when one dies, and if I would notice any warnings prior to it's death so I could avoid killing an expensive chip. My intent was not to RMA it.
On the other hand, I toasted an i7 965 and an i7 940 accidentally when I put them on an Asus Rampage II Extreme board that had an intermittent connection in the 24 pin ATX power socket. Death was rapid when the cable was moved slightly. I don't know exactly which connection was bad. Asus would not RMA the board because the serial number sticker had been damaged by some iso alcohol when I cleaned up some TIM that has dripped onto the board. Intel would not RMA the chips because I never made a note of the exact number on the original heat sink fan that came with the chips, and as soon as I said they were on a Rampage II Exteme they blamed the board. I know I am not the only Rampage II Extreme board owner this has happened to. The Rampage board got stomped on and Asus is on my permanent shit list. I don't blame Intel for scrutinizing RMA requests...it's just good business to protect themselves against dishonest individuals. My RMA request was wishful thinking. I really don't know how so many people RMA toasted chips.

With all that said, there is a reason you need to be careful of static electricity. If you want to kill it put on the wool socks and slide across the carpet before you pick it up. Just don't expect to RMA it, as that would be dishonest at best, and they can probably tell what happened to it.

hmmm... damn it!
i can't just kill the thing lol

but yeah i am selling my i7 940 on ebay right now lol
im hopping it's gonna be hot... like 250+ hot

i monna have to look in to how to kill a chip and RMA-able!