Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!

Notices

DICE & LN2 Cooling If You Have A Pot...

Old 04-21-2012
Classicplatforms Warrior

Bones is just getting started
Default Plastalina

If you'll look at the pics I have of my pot, you'll see that I have used some yellow stuff to insulate it with and this is what I used.
http://www.vanaken.com/plastalina.html

Got it from Hobby Lobby in 1lb bricks and so far it's done really well. Easy to spread around/work with, it has a sticky texture/sticks well to wherever you apply it, doesn't harden and water doesn't seem to affect it either. Best of all after doing a run I simply peel it off, wad it into a "Ball" and I can reuse it later.

Went ahead and got me a few bricks to have onhand so I'll have enough to last for sometime. I don't know if any of you have ever tried it but so far I've had good luck with it. Also with it being reuseable it's cost effective so a couple of bricks properly used should last awhile. I've been using 2 1lb bricks of the stuff with my setup so I know at least 3 should be enough for just about anything. Just be sure if you try it to seal it up in a tupperware container or something if not using it because it will attract stuff like pet hair since it is kinda sticky.
Old 04-21-2012
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Cool Bones Easier to work with than eraser, or is more insulation then waterproffing?

I like WDs use of the sham wow too

Might have to incorporte all three lol

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 04-21-2012
Classicplatforms Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaadDaawg View Post
Cool Bones Easier to work with than eraser, or is more insulation then waterproffing?

I like WDs use of the sham wow too

Might have to incorporte all three lol
Waterproofing for sure and it works like eraser/modeling clay for basic sealing of the board.

Water doesn't seem to bother it at all and even if it gets frozen, once it thaws out it's still useable like before. When you first open the pack it may seem a little tough to work but knead it and it will soften up somewhat. It also seems to thin out well if wanting to use it as a thin layer.

The best part though is how it's sticky - Will stay in place and readily bonds to other pieces of itself so sealing with it isn't a big deal. Only real con is if it's applied to really hard to reach places it may want to leave tiny pieces as it's peeled off but those I do have left on the board are so small it's really nothing to worry about. Removal is rather easy in that you simply peel and/or roll it up from wherever you have it applied. Just don't go Speedy Gonzalaz in peeling it up and it shouldn't hurt anything.

All I can say is grab a couple of bricks and try it, you'll need at least 2 1lb bricks to have enough to do a proper job on both sides of the CPU area of the board as I've been using.

Use your judgement if you'd need to do more prepping with other stuff as well. I would suggest using a shamwow or somthing to soak up the condensation that will appear as you go along with anything else you may want to use.

Also be aware that it does have a low melting point/temp of 165f since I know you LN2 guys will breakout the heatgun sometimes while benching but I don't believe it will be a huge deal.

I'd also try it at first with something that's not so critical such as a setup you've already benched to death and don't care if it rolls over or not just to see how it does in your case.

Last edited by Bones; 04-21-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2012
Beyond Help

MaadDaawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
don't go Speedy Gonzalaz in peeling it up
Ye hah, Ye hah, undelay, undelay rofl

Had forgotten all about speedy gonzalez He and Pepe Le Pue the skunk were a couple of my favorites

www.maaddaawg.com
Old 04-21-2012
OCA Gladiator

Neuromancer might just be on to something hereNeuromancer might just be on to something here

Thats funny. "Andale" as un-delay... genius!

Special relativity is not "Eat Two Big Macs."
Old 04-21-2012
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road

cool bones
Old 04-21-2012
Classicplatforms Warrior

I knew you guys would want something that's reuseable yet works for sealing.
Since the stuff is oil based it will repel water and not get affected by it.

A 1 lb brick of it was $3.57 plus tax when I got it from Hobby Lobby and in my case that makes it cost effective to say the least, esp with it being reuseable.

Again, I don't know exactly how well it would work with a LN2 setup since you guys have to use a heatgun or hairdryer sometimes.
It's low melting point temp of 165f may or may not be a prob there but for DICE it works very well. If it works with LN2, that would be a great thing to know since I know stuff used for prepping does cost $$ and this will help to cut your costs for benching and nowadays anything on that part helps.

Be sure though you use it, know that it will not absorb water at all.
I will make a "Dam" around the edges of the prepped area to keep water from running off elsewhere whenever water appears and soak up what does appear with paper towels or something. I've had ponding in this area before and the stuff didn't let it get through to the board itself so it will protect in that way at least. Still I do remove the water in case I have a spot that wasn't sealed properly to be safe.
Be sure around the CPU area (Under the pot itself) that you don't have a cavity of space it could collect water in - The last DICE session I did showed that water will appear under the pot even though I had the edges of the pot sealed off but even then it didn't hurt anything, proving to me it does seal well. I suspect it ran down inside the pot's insulation wrap and got in that way so that's something I'll need to work on for my setup.

Nothing like removing the pot and seeing a literal pond of water under there around the CPU itself BUT nothing was hurt by this.

Last edited by Bones; 04-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.