Ride or Die OCA4LIFE!
Overclockaholics Forums » Hardware Section » Motherboards » Intel » A Refresh in X99 with upcoming 10c20t Intel Processors

Notices

Old 04-25-2016
Superenthusiast

Kal-EL is on a distinguished road
Default A Refresh in X99 with upcoming 10c20t Intel Processors

Looks like we may have a refresh of X99 going forward into the Broadwell E processor release.

X99 ala socket 2011-v3 looks to be the last socket to retain support for the likes of Win 7, 8 operating systems from Microsoft. Z170 and above requiring Windows 10 only in the semi-near future as per Microsoft and Intel news releases.

Performance wise, Intel will be hard pressed in coming years to leap very far from Broadwell-E in the way of processor performance although advances in storage and peripherals continue to grow.

Hoping to see some significant feature increases in the upcoming X99 Broadwell refresh from AIB's.
Old 04-25-2016
Superenthusiast

Default Techpowerup News

http://www.techpowerup.com/221983/gi...9-motherboards
Quote:
GIGABYTE Shows off Three Upcoming X99 Motherboards

by
btarunr
Sunday, April 24th 2016 23:50 Discuss (10 Comments)
At its PAX East booth, GIGABYTE showed off three of its upcoming socket LGA2011v3 motherboards, which it plans to launch alongside Intel's Core i7 "Broadwell-E" processors. The three include the X99-Designare EX, the X99 Phoenix SLI G1, and the X99 Ultra Gaming (pictured in that order). The running theme on these boards, apart from their design-language that's similar to GIGABYTE's Z170-series motherboards, is 32 Gb/s M.2 slots, even U.2 slots in some cases, reinforced PCIe - and in some cases even memory - slots, and USB 3.1, besides out of the box support for the latest CPUs.

The X99-Designare EX features five PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, from which three can function at x16 speed and two U.2 ports. GIGABYTE is probably betting on NVMe SSDs with U.2 connectors heavily. The X99 Phoenix SLI G1 appears to be a slightly more toned down board in terms of features. It features just four PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, wireless networking, and just one U.2 connector. Unlike the Designare, which is slotted in the company's mainline Ultra Durable lineup, this board is the company's new G1 Gaming offering for this platform. Then there's the X99 Ultra Gaming. This board is based on the same PCB as the X99 Phoenix SLI G1, lacks wireless networking, but features reinforced memory slots. The three boards could launch alongside Intel's new CPUs.
Old 04-26-2016
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

Don't think we will see any night and day increases here other than core count

Just another spoon feeding from our friends at Intel
Old 04-26-2016
OCA Gladiator

PhIlLy ChEeSe is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to see someone take a 20 core over clock and run with it, I have been looking for a X99 board.
I think alot of the new board refreshes, we will see more server based boards. Has anyone had any USB 3.0 issue's?
I seen a post saying Intel is moving away from the tick/tock and even has given notice to there employee's that job's will be cut soon. Is this the end of a great run or a LUL in the middle? I need a new hobby!!!

Old 04-26-2016
OCA Gladiator

Witchdoctor will become famous soon enough

it is going to be a monster for newer 3D and Primes
Old 04-26-2016
Superenthusiast

Its been said that Intel and Microsoft agree on requiring new hardware to be exclusive to Windows 10 and a requirement thereof because of hardships on software engineering to make things compatible between drivers for win7, 8 and 10.

Its bullshit really because the reverse is true as well. They are forcing the pc market to grow by abolishing old hardware and the windows that run on them. The only token is that if it was meant to run on old hardware then they'll allow it after 2018. If its Skylake and above or newer, they won't.

This other thing about pc market being down is just panic fodder. The VR revolution is imminent and you need a pc to run it freely. Coupled with new GPU tech, pc market is poised to pop again. Again, don't forget the not so gentle nudge of MicroTel.

No no no, consoles and mobiles can't and won't take over. The amount of jobs/income/profits in the ecosystem is too large for Intel or anyone else to ignore.

For so long as programmers keep pushing the limits of hardware, the pc master race will live on.

I'd like to see a decent storage refresh on X99 so we can still install XP, win7, 8, 10, and have the freedom to choose but still remain competitive with lame tocks.
Old 04-28-2016
OCA Gladiator

I think VR will be like 3D was, anyone using 3D still? I know it comes out every few years, I haven't seen many that have.

Old 04-28-2016
Superenthusiast

I keep forgetting to order a 3dvision kit. I accidentally enabled 3D once and fired up Battlefield and it seemed to run fine cept i didn't have goggles.
Old 05-02-2016
OCA Gladiator

WOW!
Here's some news, ES sample sells for $1950.00 on flee Bay
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...r-1950.222136/

Old 05-02-2016
Superenthusiast

Krazeeepantalonas.

Finishin up rma on my 5960x and puttin it up for sale then covering the difference on a hot to trot 10c20t munster.